39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Last edited:
Brava is no longer in business, ...

Sad, they actually gave us a shoutout one time

skyriseee.PNG

The model city for transforming downtowns? It’s in Canada.​

Almost every direction one looks in downtown Calgary there’s a crane. The downtown transformation that so many other cities are desperate for is underway in Calgary, a city of 1.4 million in Alberta, which is often dubbed the “Texas of Canada” for its oil and gas industry ties. But today, office towers that once housed energy companies are rapidly being converted into apartments. Calgary offers a road map — and a tool kit — for D.C. and other beleaguered cities on how to make the switch rapidly and efficiently.

Seems like a good proposal, other than the EV charging stations seem pointless (i.e. no-one is going to hang out at an inner city park for four plus hours to charge their car). Would be even better if the proposal included the entire block. I'm unsure who owns the eastern section of the block as that was once a hotel/gym proposal.

Seems like a good proposal, other than the EV charging stations seem pointless (i.e. no-one is going to hang out at an inner city park for four plus hours to charge their car). Would be even better if the proposal included the entire block. I'm unsure who owns the eastern section of the block as that was once a hotel/gym proposal.
Some good things; a better set of activations -- skateboard park, basketball/pickleball, dog park. Parks in locations that don't get natural foot traffic need attractions.

But I don't know which of these facts is more depressing:
1). A park expansion manages to be roughly 1/3 parking stalls, despite the fact that it's adjacent to a parking lot
2). A park on the busy east-west cycletrack has only half as many bike parking spaces as it has electric vehicle parking spaces, never mind the 100 ordinary parking spaces nextdoor.

This is greenwashing at it's finest; creating a methane gas vehicle filling station and pretending it's a park.

I think your impression of how long an EV takes to charge just may be stuck in a decade ago. I’m beginning to see a pattern. Anywho.

I think your impression of how long an EV takes to charge just may be stuck in a decade ago. I’m beginning to see a pattern. Anywho.
Nope. I can do math. No way those will be Level 3 if the entire park budget is less than $700K

Some good things; a better set of activations -- skateboard park, basketball/pickleball, dog park. Parks in locations that don't get natural foot traffic need attractions.

But I don't know which of these facts is more depressing:
1). A park expansion manages to be roughly 1/3 parking stalls, despite the fact that it's adjacent to a parking lot
2). A park on the busy east-west cycletrack has only half as many bike parking spaces as it has electric vehicle parking spaces, never mind the 100 ordinary parking spaces nextdoor.

This is greenwashing at it's finest; creating a methane gas vehicle filling station and pretending it's a park.
All about 200m from a shiny and new LRT station (designed with heavy CMLC involvement) at Victoria Park lauded for increasingly it's accessibility. What a waste of energy for a modest park improvement. With all the car-orientation of their projects (Platform, Stampede Trail, 17 Ave extension, new car-accommodating underpasses randomly proposed) CLMC is quickly revealing itself to be remarkably car-enabling in some of our best walkable opportunity areas.

Of course, they will coach this in the spirit of a need to "balance" modes, but that's a fallacy - you can't balance cars in highly urban areas, without weird outcomes liike 1/3 of parks being parking lots .

Last edited:
In all fairness I didn’t know ‘Oriental’ was a racist term either until just now after Googling it.
As someone with an “oriental” background, I’ll offer my two cents. It depends on the person, and the context. It isn’t racist to me, but more misguided or improper. There are some very specific racist terms that have been used for people from my part of the world and the people using them are purposely being racist, but when someone refers to me as “oriental” or even “Asian”, I think if it as misguided, or mislabelled.

Back