News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

If a car explodes, they want 45 feet - it is what they wanted for the West LRT iirc.

Based on the location and comparing it to the Youth Campus map I suspect that would be for the Calgary Opera. I didn't think they were that far along in the fundrasing process but I'm glad to see this is moving forward

the Stampede will provide the land for the Calgary Opera to build a 50,000 square foot Opera Centre, which will include public space, a 300-seat rehearsal and performance space, classrooms, practice halls, administrative offices and much more.
https://www.calgaryopera.com/support/future-home/stampede

$23 million to build ... mostly on timeline. They likely have a Canada Cultural Spaces Fund grant on the way, especially if Contemporary Calgary continues to not have its ducks in a row. Already have a Calgary Arts Development Authority grant if the Herald is to be believed of $7.5 million. Then they can convert their budget for their current lease to a quasi mortgage. There may have also been a more complicated arrangement with their leasing their current building, as the building was sold in 2006 with a modification or registration onto it in 2016. So there might be an arrangement with their naming donor, or strategic group, or someone else, where Strategic or someone else would end up with the Opera Centre, in exchange for buying it at one point with maybe donating use rights back? Or something else complicated.

In any case, totally plausible they have their entire grant stack secure, and with the city grant and a good business plan a bank would front the rest of the money.

What should we be expecting design-wise with this Opera House?

opera-house-barn-theatre-port-elizabeth-south-africa-february-part-was-opened-69728302.jpg

What should we be expecting design-wise with this Opera House?

^please tell me that was sarcasm -_-
Sarcasm lol. The Stampede grounds have have had some less than great architecture, but the latest building, the Young Canadians Centre (can't remember the official name), is decent. I don't have any issue with it. I suspect the Stampede has clued into newer styles of architecture.

So basically worst possible case scenario for an Opera House is what I should be expecting then? :p

It's not an opera house. It's a multi-functional educational building with a small practice auditorium. A dolled up warehouse is the likely scenario.

Sarcasm lol. The Stampede grounds have have had some less than great architecture, but the latest building, the Young Canadians Centre (can't remember the official name), is decent. I don't have any issue with it. I suspect the Stampede has clued into newer styles of architecture.

Transalta Performing Arts Studio. Personally, I think it looks like a dolled up warehouse.

I wish they would do a 19th century European style building, something like the Goodlife building on Stephen ave. Just a fantasy, I know it would require extensive labour and money, not to mention they don't make such buildings anymore. Would definitely be an appropriate style for an opera/auditorium building. With something like that being surrounded by modern buildings in Victoria park, it would be a centrepiece for diversity.

Back