News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

At $500/sq.ft. + foundation + services, other than on site time savings I don't see the advantage for markets (cities) where labour is easily available.

The article talks about these as primarily laneway housing infill. If you're thinking of adding housing to your own yard, labour is only easily available if you don't value your own time. Adding a prebuilt unit like this one means you need to deal with foundations and site servicing, and that's about it. You don't have to become an amateur project manager and wrangle dozens of suppliers and trades.

The reason I say Edmonton will see a boom (comparing it to what we had here over the last decade may be a bit of a stretch though) is because there is new energy and confidence in their downtown, and I think that will attract more buyers for condo towers. DT Edmonton has good bones as people have said, and the proximity to the amenities in the area should help spur more development. This is in my unscientific opinion lol.

But you can have a similar unit professionally designed and site built by a local builder for somewhere in the $300-$400 /sq ft range.

The article talks about these as primarily laneway housing infill. If you're thinking of adding housing to your own yard, labour is only easily available if you don't value your own time. Adding a prebuilt unit like this one means you need to deal with foundations and site servicing, and that's about it. You don't have to become an amateur project manager and wrangle dozens of suppliers and trades.

But you can have a similar unit professionally designed and site built by a local builder for somewhere in the $300-$400 /sq ft range.
Is $300 - $400 / sq ft the current going rate for new construction of residential projects (non-highrise)? My brother is looking at building a house relatively soon, and when discussing it, I was remembering numbers from about 4-5 years ago where I heard $260-$300 to construct a house (typical infill), depending on the level of finishes of course.

I have expensive taste.

Is $300 - $400 / sq ft the current going rate for new construction of residential projects (non-highrise)? My brother is looking at building a house relatively soon, and when discussing it, I was remembering numbers from about 4-5 years ago where I heard $260-$300 to construct a house (typical infill), depending on the level of finishes of course.

I would recommend that everyone here do the new Parks Bylaw survey. This is the first time in 15 years that the city is reviewing the bylaws pertaining to what people can and can't do in public parks.

Here is the link: https://engage.calgary.ca/parksbylaw

Does anyone know whats going on with the Victoria park master plan?. Last year they intended to release it in Jan. The latest CBC article in the last week of Jan. suggested in a couple weeks. Any info when its coming out?

Is there enough space to put a stadium over the tracks between the EV and Vic Park? That's pretty much the best case scenario for a new stadium. On top of having the 4 Street SE Station basically inside the building.

Is there enough space to put a stadium over the tracks between the EV and Vic Park? That's pretty much the best case scenario for a new stadium. On top of having the 4 Street SE Station basically inside the building.

That's actually a pretty good idea!

Although, I don't think CP would be too happy with that. They seem a bit Cunty when it comes to their ROW.

They'd require a pretty high (event floor above 45 feet in the air and wide wide span. Totally possible. Totally expensive.

Back