News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They, sadly, don't see themselves as the issue. They do not realize how inefficient suburban sprawl costs the city more money than any "council pet project". Those price tags don't make headlines because they're the sum of endless complicated incremental costs.

It's the death spiral of suburban car-centric planning.

People become so accustomed to staying at home, building their little fortress, that they completely ignore the outside world.

They become increasingly isolated and misanthropic, and start. advocating for less spending on anything public or interesting. Thereby encouraging another generation of monkish selfish people.

Agree completely. The part that always bothered me is the cognitive dissidence - complain about spending money publicly making them poorer (more taxes!) while making wildly expensive and unsustainable choices privately.

This may come as a shock to some - if you live in a house with a big mortgage with two cars in the suburbs 30 minute drive from anything and are feeling financially tapped out, it is not because the city rebuilds a plaza every 40 years.

I forgot to post that there is a development permit notice next to Icon in Mission. I didn’t get a good look, it was dark, but it was for the lot right next to it.
It appears to be an older application from 2019, that was approved in 2020, so I'm guessing it has gone stale, which is too bad because it was a 4 storey building (5 including rooftop area). Only 10 units, which means it was probably quite slim.

Edit: I think this was the design as from the Architect's website.

1699668234257.png

Last edited:
Given how long Century Gardens and Eau Claire plaza have taken to renovate, will Olympic Plaza be closed for 10 years?

I would support an ambitious design for Olympic Plaza that includes provision for a Stephen Ave LRT tunnel, underground parking for the Performing Arts Center expansion and perhaps moving some operational functions like loading docks underground as well.

DP has been submitted for the new Glenmore Twin Arena (Stu Peppard Arena replacement) [https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=DP2023-07720].

View attachment 519943

City webpage: https://www.calgary.ca/planning/parks-rec/stu-peppard-arena-replacement.html

Construction: summer/fall 2024 to summer 2027
Site plan shows it going in where there is currently a soccer/football field:
Existing:
1699909264618.png

Proposed:
1699909289753.png

Of note: The current arena looks like it will operate until this new twin arena opens as its locations is where the parking lot is. As well the running track in the top of the site plan has in all actuality been replaced by a new track (walked by today and it looks ready with the exception of a construction fence still surrounding the site).

^ The new parking lot driveway appears to be cutting off the south end of the running track.
??
That’s the old track that has been replaced by the Glenmore Track & Field Redevlopement project (https://www.calgary.ca/planning/parks-rec/glenmore-athletic-park.html).

The new track is in the SW corner of the site, just north of the new/relocated tennis courts.

Long-term, the area where the old track is located will be a central site access/parking area off of 50 Ave.

The redevelopment of Glenmore Athletics Park is quite substantial. Long term, it proposes locating/relocating 8 rectangular fields (including some turf fields) along 50 Ave, two (relocated) softball diamonds, a fieldhouse (with indoor cycling track to replace the outdoor concrete velodrome, new aquatics facility to replace the existing one, and fitness/gym facility), in addition to new/relocated tennis courts (completed), new/relocated arena (twin rinks replacing single rink) [near term], among other minor changes like new roads/parking, trails/bike paths, basketball courts, playgrounds, landscaping, etc.

Overall, the new configuration of the athletics park will be more efficient, and the site could become a serious recreational destination in the south.

Last edited:

Back