News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Saw this in the Crescent Heights community newsletter, happy to see the facility being repurposed but dissappointed that it's now only for those with the $$$

Maybe it was Covid/WFH's fault, or maybe it was the economic downturn's fault... but it seems like it wasn't a viable operation anymore when it was open to everyone. Probably why it needs fancy-pants rates now to make it work.

Maybe it was Covid/WFH's fault, or maybe it was the economic downturn's fault... but it seems like it wasn't a viable operation anymore when it was open to everyone. Probably why it needs fancy-pants rates now to make it work.
It was likely coming up on capital renewal, and the city didn't see it as a city supported facility, even though it was paid for mostly with government money, and enabled by a city zoning/density transfer.

The Y said that its membership program formerly paid for its operating expenses, but the membership had been dwindling. Alternative revenue sources (swim clubs, commuters I guess) were harder due to a lack of parking.

It was likely coming up on capital renewal, and the city didn't see it as a city supported facility, even though it was paid for mostly with government money, and enabled by a city zoning/density transfer.

The Y said that its membership program formerly paid for its operating expenses, but the membership had been dwindling. Alternative revenue sources (swim clubs, commuters I guess) were harder due to a lack of parking.
And as we spend billions of taxpayer funds for a transit station at it's doorstep, the city decides to throw away a prime recreation facility because of a couple down years due to a once in a generation health crisis.

And as we spend billions of taxpayer funds for a transit station at it's doorstep, the city decides to throw away a prime recreation facility because of a couple down years due to a once in a generation health crisis.
The down trend was long term.

The board of the non-profit said the Eau Claire branch has seen rising costs coupled with a diminishing membership base in recent years, issues exacerbated by capital expenses for the downtown location.
- Feb 19, 2021, Calgary Herald

Shannon Doram, YMCA Calgary president and CEO, said a decade ago the Eau Claire YMCA was a "bustling" facility, with as many as 10,500 members at its peak. She said about half of that membership was made of downtown workers who would come to exercise before or after work. But as tough economic times hollowed out Calgary's downtown, membership dropped to just 1,300.
a city hall memo distributed Thursday makes it clear that isn't in the cards, saying the city doesn't have plans to "assume operations of a privately owned facility" downtown
Doram said they would need to spend about $10 million in the coming years for mechanical and electrical upgrades, as well as other life-cycle costs

- Feb 20, 2021, Calgary Herald

Saw this in the Crescent Heights community newsletter, happy to see the facility being repurposed but dissappointed that it's now only for those with the $$$
View attachment 573858
(interesting seeing the Bow literally in the Bow river here)

<nerd> The view out the window is wrong, the view out the curved window section is to the North</nerd>

I think there were two factors in the drop in memberships at the Y. Tough economic decline and a reduction in downtown workers, but also competition from other gyms that popped up in office buildings. I used to be a member at the downtown Y up until about 2009 - when a gym subsidized by my company opened in my building. Gyms were opening up in other buildings also, and most of these gyms were just for tenants of the buildings, which kept them from getting too busy. Also as in the case of my building's gym, it was cheap, something like $20 a month. My wife kept her Y membership because of the pool, but a huge number of people used the Y mainly for the gym.

The Y downtown was pretty key for young families. When my son was less than a year old, my wife could walk there, even in winter as it only involved.1-2 blocks outside without a plus 15 connection, and do a class and get child care included in her membership for an hour. She went almost daily because of that. We still have friends we met there doing the same thing. The closure of the Y was not the main reason we eventually left downtown for west springs, but it sure didn't help the case for staying.

This might be the wrong thread but since the discussion is ongoing, is there a particular reason why Calgary has very few publicly run rec centres? We have the Y, other privately-operated facilities (Repsol, Vecova), local community associations, a couple city facilities (Southland, Village Square), but they all have different membership structures and programs. In Vancouver, there's a large program offering by the Parks and Rec board with programs taking place at various community centres and/or private facilities. Similar in Toronto as well.

This might be the wrong thread but since the discussion is ongoing, is there a particular reason why Calgary has very few publicly run rec centres? We have the Y, other privately-operated facilities (Repsol, Vecova), local community associations, a couple city facilities (Southland, Village Square), but they all have different membership structures and programs. In Vancouver, there's a large program offering by the Parks and Rec board with programs taking place at various community centres and/or private facilities. Similar in Toronto as well.
The city views it as cheaper, and various facilities over time were paid for in different ways. Independent operating arrangements can increase transparency, accountability, and importantly, increase maintenance investment. Some of the Y facilities are Y facilities, some are city facilities the Y is under contract to operate. Vecova, Westside, Vivo, Lindsay Park, Family Leisure. they're all 'civic partners'.

I think there were two factors in the drop in memberships at the Y. Tough economic decline and a reduction in downtown workers, but also competition from other gyms that popped up in office buildings. I used to be a member at the downtown Y up until about 2009 - when a gym subsidized by my company opened in my building. Gyms were opening up in other buildings also, and most of these gyms were just for tenants of the buildings, which kept them from getting too busy. Also as in the case of my building's gym, it was cheap, something like $20 a month. My wife kept her Y membership because of the pool, but a huge number of people used the Y mainly for the gym.
I think how we provide recreation facilities and access to them needs a systematic rethink in Calgary. There's a bunch of facilities produced through many different service models over the decades, but I will focus on our current (in my opinion, flawed) model.

Compared to others, Calgary's current approach is only capable of creating larger and fancier - but fewer and very infrequently built - facilities that are mostly scattered across the suburbs. Few of these are accessible by anything but car, admission costs and monthly passes are very high. How did this happen?

I think public recreation's purpose drifted from what it should be trying to do. Over the years increased demands for specialized facilities (wave pools, leisure ice, climbing walls) and middle and upper class needs (hockey rinks, generous parking), slowly pulled recreation towards an approach where a facility should have these things, as opposed to them being nice-to-have extras on a basic service provision. This pushed the facility cost and size up, making inner city sites too constrained to meet the new "standard" provision.

We have chose a recreation provision model that can only produce giant, expensive, recreation facilities in a suburban format operated by a third party. It's not a success to have the 1st and 2nd largest YMCAs in the world at a cool $300M if the vast majority of people, particularly low-income and limited mobility folks, can't access recreation facilities because they are 5, 10 to 20km away.

Toronto's approach is much different. It assumes some basic recreation and fitness functions should be reasonably close to where people live everywhere, suburbs and inner city alike.

The result is often far more basic facilities, but a far better access and location provision. Toronto has 40+ gyms/weight rooms, 30+ indoor pool locations.

Importantly, this focus on general access carried over to costs. Here's what you'd pay for a pass annually:

Toronto - city facilities (40+ locations)Calgary - city facilities only (16 locations)Calgary - YMCA (6 locations)Calgary - MNP Centre (1 location)
Full access (classes + weights + gym + pool)$300 / year$803 / year$1,025 / year$895 / year

If you never take a class, Toronto discounts the pass ($240 annually), and if you only want weight room and gyms (no pools), annually it's only $190. None of these options exist in Calgary - you're always paying for full access if you have a pass. Toronto also has free recreations centres in lower-income areas, and a similar sliding-scale rebate program to Calgary's low-income pass.

So what gives? The main difference is the philosophical approach to recreation - access to recreation and fitness are treated as privileges (perhaps not intentionally, but definitely as an outcome) in Calgary, less so in Toronto that takes a more universal approach. We have a system that's cheap for taxpayers, but expensive for some, and inaccessible to many.

Last edited:
For a long time the school boards in Toronto built pools as part of their high schools. Keeping these pools accessible to the public was a policy challenge 15 or so years ago, as the costs to do so became more clear over time and weren't city funded. We will see as large renewal bills come due over the next 20 years how many stay open.

Toronto's approach is much different. It assumes some basic recreation and fitness functions should be reasonably close to where people live everywhere, suburbs and inner city alike.
As an example, this was opened within a new condo development only 5 minutes walk from Union Station and Scotiabank Arena. It has the basic amenities - gyms, pools, multipurpose rooms and not much else but very accessible.

Feels like the C+E should have some kind of recreation something. Having it build into a development would be interesting... Looking at you bus barn along the Elbow that could be turned into a rec centre and housing.

Feels like the C+E should have some kind of recreation something. Having it build into a development would be interesting... Looking at you bus barn along the Elbow that could be turned into a rec centre and housing.
The Toronto project was $20 million from the city and a hard to find and possibly non-public amount from the private developer for a zoning change (office to residential), a set aside of 10% for affordable units and significant density (first site is 65 floors, second phase is 105, third 80). Phase 4-5 were to add to to office space but that seems to have been waived for a financial contribution to the ferry terminal and severing of some of the parcel for a park, and instead the existing office tower might also switch to another residential phase.

These projects where you can garner $1400+ per square foot, are another ball game, where the city can extract $150-$180 dollars a square foot in 'voluntary' benefits for planning permission.

IMG_6163.jpeg
IMG_6162.jpeg

Back