News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wow only $65 million to save $27,000 per year in energy bills?
The document somewhat underplays that the do nothing option involves higher likelihood of season ending equipment failures each year, and possible total failure, where the facility can't support ice at all.
"the ice plant and refrigerated slabs were [in 2017 and continue to be] in danger of critical failure and needed replacement to meet present safety and environmental standards"

The document somewhat underplays that the do nothing option involves higher likelihood of season ending equipment failures each year, and possible total failure, where the facility can't support ice at all.

This one is just like the Winsport lodge. Yes, the building is old and needs mechanical upgrades. Does it need $65M in mechanical upgrades? No.

Would a complete renovation save some energy costs? Yes, if you look with a magnifying glass. Does it make a material difference? No. It's just a political argument.

This one is just like the Winsport lodge. Yes, the building is old and needs mechanical upgrades. Does it need $65M in mechanical upgrades? No.

Would a complete renovation save some energy costs? Yes, if you look with a magnifying glass. Does it make a material difference? No. It's just a political argument.
Having been involved in creating an earlier version of that document, the government which is the audience for the document, is very interested in ghg/energy performance. So yes.

As for scope: If you're going to dig up the entire slab, it is a good idea to do everything identified to host international events which requires work under the slab.

IIRC the slab and ice plant were 2/3rds of the project cost.

and even that has its troubles. it is an energy suck and requires a $65 million + renovation.

They have been piecemealing the renos on the Oval for too long, they need to close it and do a very thorough renovation.

Nakiska is ok, they are part of the Olympic legacy, but there are enough other hills around that we still can be a global hub should they fall further behind. Lake Louise needs the World Cup back, that's probably the best outcome for the Calgary area.

Isn't there also some massive safety risk around ammonia based refrigeration systems?

I know we talked about more highrises in Bridgeland in another thread, looks like it might not be too far off from reality:

1720116486374.png

Speaking of:
I used to work out here and it wasn’t uncommon for them to evacuate everyone.

Over the 2 years I was there, they had everyone out due to a couple bomb threats and few fire alarms, the one time there was a “code brown” in the pool. But ammonia is a new one

I used to work out here and it wasn’t uncommon for them to evacuate everyone.

Over the 2 years I was there, they had everyone out due to a couple bomb threats and few fire alarms, the one time there was a “code brown” in the pool. But ammonia is a new one
Here I am complaining about inaccessibility by walking to public libraries and recreation facilities, turns out that 250m setback is warranted for such a dangerous facility!

1720123353182.png

This explains why we build rec centres in the middle of nowhere, while much safer land uses like sour gas wells, heavy freight rail operations and high-speed freeways are supported adjacent to housing with much smaller setbacks :)

I was wondering where the Cowboys tent would end up now that their normal location is set for the arena. Let's hope this agreement means the infrastructure in Millennium Park is actually maintained and operated. I have never seen the waterfall operating, and often the flowerbeds were just overgrown weed beds.
Right in the Article:
"The existing infrastructure, including a stage and amphitheatre, waterfall, clock tower, courts for basketball and volleyball, and laser lights, will be upgraded starting in 2025."

Back