News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Not much action on this proposal at 121 - 21 ave NE, but I see they have another rendering on the public notice sign.

IMG_8941.jpeg

Last edited:
i was sitting at those lights this morning thinking 20yrs from now people would never believe this intersection could have been as crap as it is now. it defies comprehension.
And it’s just a bit of an upgrade to the single storey retail strip on the NW corner built only a decade ago - it itself was a major upgrade over a long-time parking lot.

Exciting times - let’s see what happens! We’ve been down this road before on this parcel for nothing to materialize, hopefully this time is different. Can it break the Calgary curse where the best sites seem to be the least likely to be realized?

A new website has launched for "The OMNI," if you all recall, it was originally planned as a large outdoor mall in the NE, but now seems to have shifted toward residential mixed-use? Some interesting renderings in there. Seems legit from what I can tell.

https://buildomninow.ca/

This is the original outline plan from 2018:

1724037143172.png

Attachments

• 1724036956813.png
    1724036956813.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
With this being in Rockyview county would the city throw a veto at this?
If I recall this is what has already happened to some extent - dispute is impacts on Calgary’s infrastructure by putting a major shopping and retail district directly on the border with none of the revenue to support it.

Parts of the plan were approved, others were already appealed a few years back. No idea where this is at today - seems like the full housing affordability angle is being used here to help change the narrative. Would be interesting to know the full back story on the site and proposal, as it’s a textbook sprawl development at a scale we don’t see often.

Last edited:
That's like Florida level sprawl right there. Where is the site? does it already have water or will they build it?
This is the most recent one I can find from a 2023 concept plan for rockyview county, not sure if there's been further revisions since then:
https://www.rockyview.ca/Portals/0/...derReview/ProposedCS/Proposed-CS-The-Omni.pdf

No signs of residential in this version and about as sprawly as one can imagine with big boxes, huge surface parking and enormous setbacks on everything to everything. There's a few vague references to a "potential Transit Court", which of course is nowhere near the only part of the development that pretends to be walkable in the centre, nor has any confirmed support from Calgary Transit or any other transit agency to actually use it:

1724082592750.png

Exact location is just east of the city near Airport Trail NE:

1724082741818.png

According to that concept, waster seems to come from the east, so not tied to the city's water systems.

Overall it would become one of Calgary's most painfully car-oriented sprawl locations, but the part that confuses me is the total lack of residential given the marketing recently to try to get the project moving on the grounds of housing affordability. Perhaps there's additional phases that are part of this concept plan?

Yikes, that looks pretty bad. Good news is if you look at the developer's website, there's been no updates for this project in 2 years, so hopefully it either never goes ahead, or undergoes a serious redesign before it does.

They have this new site plan of the overall area on the developer's website which shows a separate residential area next to this commercial area that's been proposed before.
It looks like they're showing the possibility of an airport connector lrt continuing into the development which is interesting.
omni.jpg

Back