News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

These things are going in everywhere, guess they're easier to develop and maybe more preferred than apartments?

I think it comes down to cost. Pretty simple construction, No need for interior common areas such as hallways, lobby, waste disposal etc; and no expensive underground parkade to build.

You have to provide a ton of bike parking in multi family these days, basically 1:1 for units. I'm curious how many people actually store bikes in them, seems like a great place for a bike thief!

Given the size we are seeing on new units (especially the suites of these styles of development) I am not sure how practical it is to expect residents to store a bike in them. And, if they are not being mandated to provide a vehicle parking stall, a bicycle parking stall will at least provide some form of mobility to the future residents.

You have to provide a ton of bike parking in multi family these days, basically 1:1 for units. I'm curious how many people actually store bikes in them, seems like a great place for a bike thief!
Anecdotally, I stopped using the bike storage in my building in the beltline. I always had a habit of making my bike the most difficult to steal but thefts became a weekly thing and I just brought it up to my unit.

These ground oriented units are popular, can't blame people for liking them and they bridge a gap between detached and denser mf.

For ground oriented units like these bike parking could be better designed to be spread out per unit, ground oriented and accessible from each unit. Could make them like tiny snouthouses with a 6x6 front "garage" door. Might draw more suburbanites in with the familiar architecture 😉

Can't really get that with multistory residential but there's still room for growth with consolidated bike parking in parkades. Bike lockers in a common area rather than common lockup would be a good minimum.

Back