News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Security would have to be routinely involved in the space. I'm assuming existing City Hall security would cover that area, and have to be mindful of it.
I would hope so, the amount of shady people around the Library next door would make me think that a lot of them would be in this area too. I really hope the new Library is better than the current one too.

I see the city has had a problem with vagrants at the Nicholls family library, and they've responded with security removing them. I would imagine same thing would apply in this situation.

Let's hope so. I don't mind the homeless coming into the Library for warmth from winter and minding their own business, I don't like when they're disruptive, start fights and piss in the +15's.

Let's hope so. I don't mind the homeless coming into the Library for warmth from winter and minding their own business, I don't like when they're disruptive, start fights and piss in the +15's.
Pretty much my thoughts. The library should be a resource for those who seek to make changes in their life, but staff should not be subject to harassment and threats.

Homelessness and drugs will continue to be social problems in Calgary (and everywhere), but I think one of the surest ways to make the area feel more safe is to attract more "regular" people. Compare the park at 17th ave and 8th st sw to how it felt 10 years ago. But yes, the more well lit and visible the tunnel the better.

Homelessness and drugs will continue to be social problems in Calgary (and everywhere), but I think one of the surest ways to make the area feel more safe is to attract more "regular" people. Compare the park at 17th ave and 8th st sw to how it felt 10 years ago. But yes, the more well lit and visible the tunnel the better.
Same for 1st Street SW. 10 years ago, not a place people would want to hang out, but these days much different, and it's nothing to do with extra police or security, it's because there are more people around.

More people is definitely the answer, just not sure you will get all that many through City Hall to the library. The best hope I see is that Riff Block is a massive success and there is a lot of traffic between there and Stephen Ave. The East end of Stephen Ave needs some love though, hope they announce something for Olympic Plaza soon.

More people is definitely the answer, just not sure you will get all that many through City Hall to the library. The best hope I see is that Riff Block is a massive success and there is a lot of traffic between there and Stephen Ave. The East end of Stephen Ave needs some love though, hope they announce something for Olympic Plaza soon.
Agreed. There will need to be more than just an open well lit space. Some retail in the pass though would help with foot traffic.

Looks nice enough, fairly typical of the infill in the area, wood soffits would be a nice touch. That white EIFS will likely have lots of water staining, and I'd consider having control joints at the windows to avoid the cracks that will eventually happen there.

I think it's good. These are the things I like about the design.
1) I like rowhome/townhouses, and we don't have enough in Calgary
2) I like that layout with the two floors on top of a garage. My first place on my own I lived in a place that had that layout and liked it.
3) The design is straightforward and not overdone with materials Two main materials and two accent materials.

Hello forum folk.
We're looking for some feedback on the exteriors of our new project in Altadore.
We're a small builder, so any opinion (good, bad or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated.

You'd have to provide me a crazy warranty to sell me on inset balconies - condos with them have seem too many complete envelope replacements in our climate due to QA issues.

I like the look though!

Last edited:
Hello forum folk.
We're looking for some feedback on the exteriors of our new project in Altadore.
We're a small builder, so any opinion (good, bad or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated.

Whereabouts in the budgeting process are you? I work for a engineered wood product supplier and would be happy to bid on this!

Thank you for the feedback everyone. It is much appreciated.

Googspecial - We're almost complete with budgets. The exteriors will be Stucco, Black on Black Hardie & Easytrim (we wanted AL13 or a metal comp) with Lux panel (orange) and some sort of Longboard siding or equivalent for the wood detail.

Please feel free to drop me an email or via the web portal and we can chat.

*EDIT - if you meant engineered floor (vs exterior) we can chat about that too.

Pretty sleek IMO. I'm on the leery side with the others about the EIFS, but otherwise they're sharp.

Back