News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I saw on the CMLC Instagram page that they are going to reveal the design team for the Arts Common renovation/expansion in mid December (I think the 15th). Curious which companies submitted bids and who the winner will be! (For the love of God, it better not be Dialog....don't want another Arena look a-like).

I would die. What would even be the point? Just leave it as is if it ends up being Dialog.

is there any new build involved or is it just a restoration/rennovation? i seem to remember a long time ago there was a hotel or something to be built on that block.
It's a two phase project; phase 1 is building new space to the north, between the building with Teatro in it and Olympic Plaza proper (ie where the Famous Five sculpture is, all the way north to 7th Ave). This will add three theatres, the largest is 1200 seats. (For reference, the Jack Singer Concert Hall - CPO - is 1800 seats, the Max Bell - Theatre Calgary - is 750 and the Martha Cohen - ATP - is 400. Engineered Air and Big Secret are a little under 200.) Once this is built, then there will be new space for the companies in the existing Arts Commons to keep doing performances in, while in phase 2 the existing building is renovated.

It's a good opportunity to do the project, since performing arts groups need to keep doing shows to keep money coming in (and they're coming off two very lean years). And performing arts space has a lot of requirements that other uses don't have; the unique layouts of a theatre, the need for quiet and dark and acoustical and technical elements, the presence of a large visiting public. So you can't just tuck them in an empty office somewhere for a couple of years. So making some extra room gives that flexibility to keep the arts going, then once the existing buildings are renovated there will be a net increase of space.

The NW corner of phase one has consistently been rumoured since the beginning to be capable of supporting a residential tower on top.

I would die. What would even be the point? Just leave it as is if it ends up being Dialog.
As much as the arena has been poorly received, it's good to remember Dialog is also responsible for stuff like the Central Library, Telus Sky, and Mackimmie. They're not above criticism, but I'll wait until I see it before making condemnations.

As much as the arena has been poorly received, it's good to remember Dialog is also responsible for stuff like the Central Library, Telus Sky, and Mackimmie. They're not above criticism, but I'll wait until I see it before making condemnations.

Agreed, but don't forget that they were the local architect for the library (partnered with Snohetta) and Telus Sky (partnered with BIG), which means these projects aren't fully their creations (likely only up to a certain level of design they were). Mackimmie is fully their own, so props to them there. Hopefully they do well on the Glenbow; although I'm not a huge fan of the current concept, and I personally wished they went with one of the other firms in the running (Grimshaw).

No, there was no design competition for that one (or a design-build pursuit which typically includes three designs before a winner is picked), just a standard RFP.

Here is an interesting one, down below the Foothills. Again, more medical office maybe? Or, is the CBC expanding?
Original phase 1 on its way?
1638828301139.png

Back