News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The nearby JEMM project will be a good test of the willingness to increase the height over what the ARP says, but I can't imagine it would be easy to do so on that lot, considering it is across a (narrow) lane from houses on 10A street. The fight would be huge.

The nearby JEMM project will be a good test of the willingness to increase the height over what the ARP says, but I can't imagine it would be easy to do so on that lot, considering it is across a (narrow) lane from houses on 10A street. The fight would be huge.

If I bought this lot, I would apply for 3-5m less than whatever JEMM can get approved across from Safeway. Presumably you can find 8 votes on council for that.

Yup. When almost every downtown in the US and Canada has a "revitalization project," something has to change.
That something that has to change is the avenues and streets. And to be optimistic, it is happening in Calgary. It will probably take a few tries to get it right (see bike lanes as an example, some great others not so much). You're having to change the culture of a society. But it is happening. IMO it won't be the electric car that pushes us to better, at least in the cities. If this summer has shown me anything, it will be the electric bike/scooter.

The greenbelt certainly has a distortionary negative impact on the the GTA housing market that reduces supply by artificially limiting the highest and best use of the lands impacted, thereby driving up costs. It also fuels further sprawl in outlying communities generating additional commuting that would not occur otherwise - negating any positive environmental impact. It's a great example of a well-meaning policy that completely misses the mark due to a widespread lack of economic education in our society.
The problem is actually restrictive zoning that is harming Ontario. The Greenbelt is just an easy scapegoat for the fact that they will not allow any sort of densification at all across enormous swathes of the cities neigbourhoods.

The problem is actually restrictive zoning that is harming Ontario. The Greenbelt is just an easy scapegoat for the fact that they will not allow any sort of densification at all across enormous swathes of the cities neigbourhoods.
It's a mix of both. Greenbelt = no suburban development, NIMBY = no urban development. No development of any kind = insane prices for housing

It's a mix of both. Greenbelt = no suburban development, NIMBY = no urban development. No development of any kind = insane prices for housing
They’re not equivalent. One of those policies protects a vulnerable ecosystem and some of the best farmland in the country. The other policy protects McMansions. And the protections around the McMansions have proven far more effective than those around the farmland and forests.

They’re not equivalent. One of those policies protects a vulnerable ecosystem and some of the best farmland in the country. The other policy protects McMansions. And the protections around the McMansions have proven far more effective than those around the farmland and forests.
Did I say they were equivalent? I only said that they're both contributing to the problem, which is true

Did I say they were equivalent? I only said that they're both contributing to the problem, which is true
Apologies if that came off as accusatory. It was merely a defence of the Greenbelt in general, since it has come under fire on this message board.

Growing up in the GTA, I spent my entire life seeing this get turned into this. Meanwhile quality of life had declined precipitously as people spend an ever increasing portion of their day sitting in a car in gridlock on the completely overwhelmed 400-series highway system.

Canadians are going to have to come to the realization that they do not have a God-given right to live in a metro area of over 7 million people AND have their own massive front and backyards, two-car garages, 4 or 5 bedrooms, etc. I full support blocking greenfield development until Ontario gets its sh*t together in terms of land use planning. However, my prediction is that Ontario continues to chip away at the Greenbelt, building the same car dependent subdivisions and power centres they always have. Continuing to drop 50-storey condominiums along the sides of highways and 7-lane arterial stroads. Continually drawing up new mass transit maps but not actually building anything. And the stations they do build will be placed next to highways, surrounded by parking garages and do nothing to increase the actual capacity over the already overburdened transit system. None of this will actually reduce real estate prices, though. The only real solution is to give Toronto Barcelona-level density. (End rant!)

I have a few projects on the go in Southern Ontario, and the amount of bureaucratic red tape you need to endure even for simple projects is staggering. Zoning is incredibly restrictive: almost every significant project requires a rezoning and bylaw amendment, the municipalities are incredibly slow at providing review comments, there are multi-level municipalities reviewing most applications (eg. region of Peel etc.), conservation authorities have jurisdiction over areas that are completely illogical - I could go on...

All of the these issues, plus the greenbelt, have created the mess they are in down there. It's such a disaster that I don't even know where they would start to fix the problem.

You could argue that a portion of it is is a vulnerable ecosystem - the Niagara escarpment, the river valleys etc. but the vast majority of protected lands are unremarkable farmland that has been cleared of forest and cultivated with crops for hundreds of years. There's no valid rationale for protecting farmland - it's a naïve idea that sounds good to the layperson uneducated in urban land economics. There is no shortage of farmland, and agricultural yields have been continuously improving and are forecast to continue to do so - more than offsetting the miniscule loss of production from farmland that is consumed by development.

If the highest and best use of the land is for agriculture, then it will be agricultural land.

Back