News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

There’s an interesting DP on the corner of Edm Trail and 1st NE to replace that strip mall. Will serve as a much better anchor to that Main Street.
Is it this one on the NE corner?

Yeah. You’re way ahead of me!
We can thank @MichaelS, he’s usually ahead of everyone 😁
As far the entrance to 1st Ave, yeah it’s going to make a much better tie in from Edmonton Trail. Would be nice to see a couple more like this right around those Edmonton Trail intersections.

Which will produce unanticipated consequences like developers and material suppliers raising profit margins on purpose built rental and more existing purpose built rental converting to condo. If the government wants to increase affordability, it should remove GST from all housing instead of trying to socially engineer the mix.

Saw this on Instagram last night...

Could this be the arena? underpass? hotel?
View attachment 504619
Lower your expectations, it's the park that has already been discussed. Recognized the branding of the loading... instagram post on the construction fence.
MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg

UCalgary Science Hub
1694790827018.png

The university received $5 million in planning money for this project. This all but assures a ground breaking up n the next 4 years.

Combined with a renovation of Science A to enable the work, it is a ~$400 million project in 2019ish dollars. When ‘complete’ it will move tentants around and enable repurposing of space in Admin, Kinesiology, and bio-science.

After reading that twice I got that the amendment basically only passed student and temporary low cost housing. Not much to fix the overall housing issues in the city. Please tell me I’m wrong about this whole process and they passed much more.

Here's another article if you'd like more info

One more

One last one

Last edited:
A good step forward, but this far from the last battle on upzoning to R-CG citywide. From the live wire article:

“She reminded Coun. Sharp and other councillors that there still must be a debate and public hearing on whether the upzoning goes through.”

The Elbow Parkers that staged the uprising over the Guidebook haven’t gone anywhere, they are just hiding and reloading while the political winds blow against them.

When the R-CG comes up for a vote, expect all the usual suspects (Elbow Park, Rosedale, Mount Royal) to seek and receive exceptions because “heritage”. There will be some upzoning in poorer neighborhoods where developers don’t want to build rowhouses anyway.

Back