News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I mean the restarting part.
I haven't seen an announcement per se, but they are selling tickets for it.
1694091552544.png

I assume that the return of trains 82 and 83 are an indication that VIA will be deploying more Venture trainsets to revenue service soon, freeing up equipment for this service (presumably all new trainsets will operate on the Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec route until all trains on that route are Ventures).

I assume that the return of trains 82 and 83 are an indication that VIA will be deploying more Venture trainsets to revenue service soon, freeing up equipment for this service (presumably all new trainsets will operate on the Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec route until all trains on that route are Ventures).

I expect they're going to try to make at least one Ottawa-Toronto or Montreal-Toronto train pair a Venture diagram after the October 24th schedule update. There should be five sets in service by then, at least, and if it can be done while still cycling back to MMC it would spread a little excitement, but to broaden new fleet deployment they also need to be able to do seat assignment in the new reservation system...

I expect they're going to try to make at least one Ottawa-Toronto or Montreal-Toronto train pair a Venture diagram after the October 24th schedule update. There should be five sets in service by then, at least, and if it can be done while still cycling back to MMC it would spread a little excitement, but to broaden new fleet deployment they also need to be able to do seat assignment in the new reservation system...
I mean with the GO service since it runs on the north corridor it serves a different market.

I guess there is no Layover space since VIA is returning.

Someone just posted pictures on the „Rail Fan Canada“ Discord server, which show him riding Train 35 this afternoon in a Venture Trainset, which matches the Cycling Plan showing „35-28“ on Thursdays for the (so far) sole Venture trainset.

That said, the introduction of trains 82 and 83 on October 24 will mark the start of a new cycling plan, which could alter (and hopefully: expand!) the Venture deplayments significantly…

As has been noted on Groups.io in the meanwhile, VIA has released an announcement, which also increases the number of trains offered between Toronto and Ottawa by 5 departures per week and direction:

How poor is the VIA communications team that it somehow makes sense to have a press release that announces "train numbers are back" but doesn't explain the timing. Can they bring back train 88 that is my favourite train??

How poor is the VIA communications team that it somehow makes sense to have a press release that announces "train numbers are back" but doesn't explain the timing.
If I wouldn’t already know better, I might have considered the possibility that they are the kind of VIA timetable nerds like you can also find on this thread… :p
Can they bring back train 88 that is my favourite train??
I’m afraid that 85 and 88 are probably rock bottom on the list of pre-covid frequencies to be reinstated…

Last edited:
So, doze upright in a seat all night, wander the city all day and go to a game, then doze upright in seat going home? That sounds like fun.
I did this once. A day trip to Montreal. Overnight Megabus from Toronto at midnight. Get to Montreal around 07:00. Explore the city. Meet up with a few friends. Grab the midnight Megabus back home arriving at STC early in the morning. It was actually pretty fun.

As has been noted on Groups.io in the meanwhile, VIA has released an announcement, which also increases the number of trains offered between Toronto and Ottawa by 5 departures per week and direction:

Great to hear that we'll have more trips on the busier days of the week, but like @EnviroTO said, telling us the new train numbers is pretty meaningless when the new timetables aren't online yet. They don't even say what approximate time of day the new trips will run.

I guess we'll find out next week what these changes actually entail, when they release the new timetables. EDIT: though the timetables aren't out yet, the trip planner does seem to be updated, so I'll see if I can reverse-engineer a timetable.

Last edited:

Back