News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

So to answer your question, yes it is theoretically possible for them to modify the shed at the Winnipeg Union Station to support bilevel cars if they should ever need to do so, but it is highly unlikely for it to be necessary anytime in the foreseeable future. Just like it is theoretically possible for us to divert the path of an asteroid that is going to crash into the earth (though admittedly that would be much more expensive and the consequences of not doing it would be much more significant).

So, then, why did someone even mention it?

You are starting to verge on trolling here. This is Urban Toronto and you want to discuss hypothetically modifying a train shed in Winnipeg, to possibly accomodate double decker trains for a commuter rail service, a century from now.

To answer your question anything is hypothetically possible. And there are professionals who use proper metric to judge the value of a given project. You and I can leave it to them.

Now, can we agree to stick to topics that are hypotheticals in our lifetime and relevant to this forum?

I was just following the lead of others talking about train service outside of the GTA.

The original Toronto Union train sheds which are considered historic, did they need to be modified when GO started running bilevels, or was it built high enough from the get go?

So, then, why did someone even mention it?

I was just following the lead of others talking about train service outside of the GTA.

The original Toronto Union train sheds which are considered historic, did they need to be modified when GO started running bilevels, or was it built high enough from the get go?
They arent going to modify the shed just so Via can use Bi Levels (which they don't need) 6 times a week

I'm going three pages back here:
Given that we didn't see much out of the federal government in its fiscal update beyond some additional support to VIA to help cover the losses due to Covid-19. Should we look to the states in terms of the Amtrak State Supported rail lines model to try and get more service to areas that are presently underserved. The high-speed rail thing comes up every once and a while as a bit of a gimmick to try and win political points. If Ontario, for example, was willing to support Via Rail with an Ontario-based service could that be a viable option to provide the necessary funding for adequate service to communities like Sarnia, London, and Ottawa? I don't personally ever see Metrolinx expanding to the distance where London would be a viable option for them and I think that it would stretch them to thin. VIA presently has the services there but it needs assistance in funding for new trainsets and operational funds. Do you guys think that there could be enough political will in these areas to try and find a way to support VIA rail through direct funding from the province to help pay for the missing intercity connections and additional train runs? If you had to guess for VIA to become a viable option for people to take and stop driving or drive less to get around. What type of frequency or regularity would be needed to do so?
As far as your post concerns Ontario, your entire train of thought (please excuse the pun!) is based on the misconception that Corridor services require operational funding for themselves, whereas in reality, their variable revenues exceed their variable costs by enough ($77 million in 2018) to not only offset the deficit between variable revenues and variable of all non-Corridor services ($37.8 million), but to also contribute $39.2 million towards VIA's overheads (like, for instance, my salary):

1585527242974-png.238779

Source: re-post from post #6,707

Therefore, it is not the lack of funding which prevents the acceleration* of the rise of the intercity market share of the train, but the lack of track access and track capacity to obtain more slots to operate more trains...

*Note that Corridor ridership has gown from 3.588 million in 2012 to 4.782 million in 2019, an increase of 33% (or 4.2% per year) - which certainly outpaced the growth of population or of overall demand for intercity passenger transport.

The above also matters for the immediate discussion the above comment sparked:
First you'd have to break the consensus even a lot of public transit fans seem to have, that regional cities don't deserve better transit.
I don’t recall much controversy - especially among “public transit fans” - about offering better transit to cities outside of this country’s largest metropolitan areas (and I wholeheartedly support such demands!), but I’m afraid that there is a misconception here if you seemingly regard intercity passenger rail as an integral part of transit rather than being only highly complementary to those intra-urban and intra-regional transport networks that actual “transit” is all about...
Urban (or regional) and intercity (or inter-regional) travel serve two completely different markets and thus user groups: urban/regional travel is needed on a daily basis to access work, retailers and services, whereas intercity travel is needed much less frequently (e.g. for business travel, tourism or to visit family or friends). Given that car ownership tends to make the car the default mode for transportation of virtually all distances (since it is perceived as "free", i.e. "already paid for"), transit is mostly used by user groups without access to a car, such as low-income workers, poor (and often old) people and students. Conversely, many of the purposes for which intercity travel is used for requires a certain affluency (to pay for travel and lodging expenses while away from home), which is why intercity rail passengers is mostly used by relatively well-off demographics, such as office workers and pensioners.

This is one of the reasons why the Corona crisis has affected the poor so disproportionally hard: because more economically fortunate people now use their car to go to work (or work from home in their home office), thus depriving the transit networks of the revenues needed to maintain the service on which less economically fortunate people depend to get to work (which is disproportionally in manufacturing, in-person services like health/education/care/restaurants and thus much less convertible to telework). This is why whereas the currently offered reduced number of frequencies across the Corridor (2-4 trains per day and direction) is adequate to cover the drastically decreased market for intercity travel during pandemic times, the cuts to transit systems disproportionally hurt the poor and other vulnerable groups*. But even without Corona, I'm vehemently against increasing or reintroducing intercity passenger rail services on routes which don't or won't recover their direct costs, as the same funds could do much more good if they were put into a mode (i.e. transit, be it buses, light rail or subways) which is much more essential to society than intercity trains are...

*If you wonder how you can help: I'm still paying for my monthly bus pas, despite rarely using it...

The lack of personal space was the main reason why I was questioning the use of GO trainsets for longer regional routes such as Toronto to Niagara. Assuming that they are configured similarly to the trains operated by EXO, they must have a very limited amount of storage space for personal items. The intercity double deck trains that I traveled on in France and Switzerland made up for the lack of personal storage by including large luggage racks at each end of each carriage, but that was only because they were intentionally configured for such travel. However, I understand that the GO trains are simply reusing equipment that would be otherwise be unused during lower weekend frequencies on the core network.

As for other countries with double-decker intercity trains, I recently saw that DB was getting some Stadler units for their intercity services.

Bombardier Twindexx

Stadler KISS

Bombardier VIRMm

Talbot DDZ

Skoda Edo

Bombardier M6

[...]

Double-deckers might make sense in Corridor service if VIA wants to continue with its current business model with low-frequency service on freight-owned railways. But VIA has been very vocal about the fact that this model is not sustainable, and that they instead want to run higher frequencies on VIA-owned tracks. In the latter situation, you don't need to maximize seats-per-axle for the sake of track fees. Instead you'd want smaller lighter trainsets which will cause less wear-and-tear on the infrastructure. The 5-car Siemens consists will fit the bill nicely.

For long-distance services, bilevels would be ideal, but if they don't fit, they don't fit.
First of all: VIA's Corridor fleet will remain single-level for the foreseeable future, which renders any discussion about multi-level equipment on these routes useless.

Second, none of the remote routes faces any capacity constraints which would make multi-level equipment in any way desirable, which also renders any discussions about multi-level equipment on those routes useless.

Third, this only leaves the transcontinental routes, where customers tend to stay on board for journeys which last a multiple of what any of the rolling stock types @reaperexpress mentioned operates. For the same reason, using any of these rolling stock types* would be completely unsuitable. One of the defining features of long-distance rail travel is that the train becomes a hotel on wheels and passengers move around. As this travel segment is heavily skewed towards older passengers, operating any fleet type which requires passengers to climb steps to move between cars would be a non-starter. Consequently, the only way to achieve a train which is step-free-accessible from one end to the other is to have cars connect at the upper deck. The Superliner fleet evidently achieves that (and I believe also the bilevel cars used on some of SBB's InterCity trains), but the inevitable consequence of such designs is that these cars become incompatible with unilevel fleets, as the access/egress points of these cars no longer match. This rules out a seamless phasing in of the new equipment and would introduce fleet compatibility constraints which are much more extreme than those imposed by the Renaissance fleet (which require an empty Baggage Transition car to connect with regular equipment). All of that begs one simple question to everyone arguing in favor of VIA acquiring non-single-level fleets: what is the problem you are trying to fix and have you considered single-level solutions first?

*Note that these are mostly derived from regional/commuter rail operations: the primary use of Bomarbier Twindexx in Deutsche Bahn's fleet are Regional Express (i.e. limited-stop regional) trains, whereas that of Stadler's Kiss in SBB's fleet is the S-Bahn (Regional Express Rail) network of Zürich.

Last edited:
Is there any math or analysis on service cars like the snack car? I'd love to know why some operators can operate one and some can't. Why the difference between Amtrak and VIA on this?

There absolutely is from a Canadian standpoint, as VIA used to do so in the Corridor until 1990 (and still does on selected routes).

Actually, maybe I should say "was". The decision to go away from a snack bar in a car was taken in the late 1970s with the ordering of the LRC cars. There will certainly not be anyone left in the organization who was involved in making that decision, and I have no clue of any of the paperwork or discussions would remain from that time, either.

I have heard anecdotally that VIA didn't like the idea of snack bar cars as it resulted in a single car that relied on the other cars for its revenue, rather than accruing revenue through seat sales. (They did have cars that contained a snack bar and sold coach seating, so there were ways around this.) And staffing requirements seem like they would have informed in the decision as well. But was there one main reason? I don't know it.

Dan

^I don't know the origin of VIA's policy either, but as to Amtrak - they have seen more iterations of various level of meal and snack service over Amtrak's history, with (at times) much Congressional input as to budget-cutting (on the one hand)and mandated levels of meal service on routes (on the other). And more iterations of internal-Amtrak-initiated service and meal quality innovation, also vaccilating between economy and market development.

In comparison, VIA sure seems to have made a decision and stuck to it.... of course, with the meal service equipment built into every LRC coach, there wasn't much flexibility to change later.

My youth wouldn't have been the same without the many amusing things that I experienced in CN bar cars.... so I will declare my bias. Perhaps that was one reason why VIA moved away from cafe-bar amenities.

At-seat cart service is certainly a hit in some jurisdictions, and not in others.

- Paul

^I don't know the origin of VIA's policy either, but as to Amtrak - they have seen more iterations of various level of meal and snack service over Amtrak's history, with (at times) much Congressional input as to budget-cutting (on the one hand)and mandated levels of meal service on routes (on the other). And more iterations of internal-Amtrak-initiated service and meal quality innovation, also vaccilating between economy and market development.

In comparison, VIA sure seems to have made a decision and stuck to it.... of course, with the meal service equipment built into every LRC coach, there wasn't much flexibility to change later.

My youth wouldn't have been the same without the many amusing things that I experienced in CN bar cars.... so I will declare my bias. Perhaps that was one reason why VIA moved away from cafe-bar amenities.

At-seat cart service is certainly a hit in some jurisdictions, and not in others.

- Paul

I wonder if some of it had to do with "that's how airlines do it", and they wanted to make it feel like Via was more of a luxury service (since at that time, flying was still seen as sophisticated). A lot of airline posters from the 60s and 70s show a nicely-dressed stewardess serving a family or a couple a nice dinner right in their airplane seat.

Not saying if it was the right or the wrong choice, but I wouldn't be surprised if that comparison played a factor in the decision.

I wonder if some of it had to do with "that's how airlines do it", and they wanted to make it feel like Via was more of a luxury service (since at that time, flying was still seen as sophisticated). A lot of airline posters from the 60s and 70s show a nicely-dressed stewardess serving a family or a couple a nice dinner right in their airplane seat.

Not saying if it was the right or the wrong choice, but I wouldn't be surprised if that comparison played a factor in the decision.

The thing is. A lot of airline service is really shitty today. Check out seat pitch on Air Canada Rouge, seat width on Air Transat, or the contorted washrooms on AC's new A220/CSeries and 737 MAX.

I think VIA is so much better off pushing points of differentiation with air travel today. Being able to move around would be one of them.

But the thing is, space aside, VIA kinda does a so-so job on amenities competing with airlines. The catering in economy (at least on the Corridor) ain't that great. There's no seatback screens. The wifi is spotty and unlike the airline apps, there's no large onboard catalog of pre-recorded shows and movies to watch. The value of all this goes up for those 3-5 hr intercity trips.

VIA aside, I'm also curious about why lie-flat pods, common in airline business class never caught on with passenger rail operators for overnight trains. They are reasonably floor space efficient when staggered or herringbone. They provide some privacy. And should be cheaper to offer than cabins or berths. Particularly useful for one night trips like The Ocean.

The thing is. A lot of airline service is really shitty today. Check out seat pitch on Air Canada Rouge, seat width on Air Transat, or the contorted washrooms on AC's new A220/CSeries and 737 MAX.

I think VIA is so much better off pushing points of differentiation with air travel today. Being able to move around would be one of them.

But the thing is, space aside, VIA kinda does a so-so job on amenities competing with airlines. The catering in economy (at least on the Corridor) ain't that great. There's no seatback screens. The wifi is spotty and unlike the airline apps, there's no large onboard catalog of pre-recorded shows and movies to watch. The value of all this goes up for those 3-5 hr intercity trips.

VIA aside, I'm also curious about why lie-flat pods, common in airline business class never caught on with passenger rail operators for overnight trains. They are reasonably floor space efficient when staggered or herringbone. They provide some privacy. And should be cheaper to offer than cabins or berths. Particularly useful for one night trips like The Ocean.
To add to this point, station amenities at most Canadian stations are pretty poor. It's understandable at GO stations, where most of them are basically giant shelters in the middle of a parking lot, but there's a paradoxical situation where GO stations are steadily improving in terms of amenities, but Via stations over the years have been getting locked up one by one. To be fair, a lot of this is clearly rooted in budgetary issues, but I think this should be talked about anyway as an argument for Via having more in the way of a budget. Not only does Via own a lot of heritage stations that should be maintained for their own sake, stations and their amenities are a huge part of rail travel, just like airports with air travel. Obviously not every station can be Union, but it doesn't seem station improvement ever gets prioritized or talked about much. If real intercity stations were more comfortable and useful places, that would be a major selling point to people who are jaded and disenchanted with the airport experience, and want something more relaxed, especially leisure and business travellers.

Somebody I know who has had a lot of contact with VIA at the top (and is normally extremely closemouthed about that) recently muttered “I told them over and over, they are not as air-competitive as they think they are”. They did not elaborate, but I found that an interesting insight.

I will be very disappointed if we don’t see amenities of this sort with the Chargers.

I can’t think of a single good reason, apart from, nobody has tried it, and maybe the modules produced for airplanes haven’t been qualified/adapted for rail. Those pods are relatively recent, certainly they are popular if too pricey for many air travellers.
In a coach, a staggered configuration might not be optimal for window views during daytime. If I had a quarter for every seatmate who pulled down the shade....
I don’t know what attracts people to coach on the Canadian, certainly where one used to see 2-3 coaches per train there is now most often only one or two. ”Premium Economy” has never really sold on trains - slumbercoach, dayniter, and the like never caught on, and in some ways were the worst of both classes. My observation is that off season, VIA sells a lot of its berth capacity on the Canadian at deep discount....if one can’t afford the regular room rate, a berth will get you there for not that much more than coach, with a lot more comfort and amenities.

- Paul

To add to this point, station amenities at most Canadian stations are pretty poor. It's understandable at GO stations, where most of them are basically giant shelters in the middle of a parking lot, but there's a paradoxical situation where GO stations are steadily improving in terms of amenities, but Via stations over the years have been getting locked up one by one. To be fair, a lot of this is clearly rooted in budgetary issues, but I think this should be talked about anyway as an argument for Via having more in the way of a budget. Not only does Via own a lot of heritage stations that should be maintained for their own sake, stations and their amenities are a huge part of rail travel, just like airports with air travel. Obviously not every station can be Union, but it doesn't seem station improvement ever gets prioritized or talked about much. If real intercity stations were more comfortable and useful places, that would be a major selling point to people who are jaded and disenchanted with the airport experience, and want something more relaxed, especially leisure and business travellers.

I imagine one of the problem with improving (or at least providing) amenities at non-commuter rails stations is frequency. Airports are common hubs with flights from various carriers coming and going throughout the day providing a decent level of consistent traffic. Even at that, services at smaller city airports struggle; a small handful of commercial flights a day usually don't cut it. Non-corridor VIA stations, and likely even some on the Corridor, have limited traffic making it hard for a commercial operator to make a living. Also, many none terminal stations are likely on land owned by others. Combining with transit and/or intercity bus might improve traffic to a point where a business owner can make a go of it.

Oh I totally agree that Via should really be pushing the "we have space to move around instead of being squished in a tin can" angle now. I'm just saying that when they started doing the in-seat service back then, it was the fashionable thing to do because airlines were doing it, and the service being offered by airlines was something Via was probably trying to match.

Going five pages back this time:
Will reliability improve substantially with Lakeshore service still using CN track with no priority?
The two main drivers of operational interference between two types of trains on a multiple-tracked railway line are: 1) the difference in average speed between the different train types and 2) the length of the headways between two subsequent departures of the same train type with a positive relationship in the case of 1) and a negative relationship in the case of 2).

By being finally able to accept the travel time increase associated with additional stops and to focus the schedules around the needs of the Lakeshore communities, the average speed will invariably decrease while having slightly less trains spaced out more evenly over the day should ease conflicts on both measures, thus resulting in a schedule which works with more people. Therefore, yes, I do expect service reliability on the Lakeshore services to improve substantially, even without obtaining priority.

And while I can see substantial gains for most communities, this seems to be proportionally less gains on frequencies for Kingston. And a longer trip time. But a better spaced scheduler and departure ms originating in Kingston.
You seem to be mostly concerned about how feasible commuting from Kingston to Toronto will become. The big opportunity with the refocusing of Lakeshore services on the needs of the Lakeshore communities is that it will dramatically improve the commutability for people living in places like Port Hope, Cobourg, Trenton, Belleville, Napanee or even Brockville, but working in Kingston (and the same will be true in the opposite direction).

Have a look at the kind of InterCity trains in the Netherlands @reaperexpress has mentioned [Edit: not: marveled about, my apologies to @reaperexpress] and take the route from Amsterdam to Maastricht (which is with 218 km about the longest distance you can travel in the country) and you will notice that none of the 7 intermediary stops is skipped by any train and the same is true with the three stops between Amsterdam and Eindhoven (the countries' fifth-largest city). In fact, the average speed for Amsterdam&Maastricht and Amsterdam&Eindhoven is virtually the same (90.2 and 90.4 km/h) and inferior not just to the fastest (254 km in 2:09 equals 118.1 km/h) train offered between Kingston and Toronto in the last pre-Covid schedule, but also to every single departure except for Train 651 (254 km in 2:53 equals 88.1 km/h):
1607224735692.png

Source: European Rail Timetable (Summer 2016 Edition)

Granted, there probably aren't that many passengers commuting between Maastricht and Amsterdam, but you can bet that the number of commuters between Eindhoven and Maastricht, Utrecht or Amsterdam (and in all cases: in both directions) is considerable.

That's an interesting point. My knee-jerk reaction as a demanding spectator is, why isn't VIA configuring exclusively around 100 mph (the Challengers may lead to this) and then squeezing every possible second out of its timings?

They did just so, actually, back when the Metropolitan was conceived. Didn't last.

If it turns out that due to other considerations, (such as freight interference, dispatching through crossovers, slow orders, etc) that 100 mph capability just can't be leveraged, well that really is something my mindset just hasn't processed.
Exactly, the time advantage is too insignificant (traveling at a constant speed of 100 mph only saves 1.2 seconds per km over a speed of 95 mph) to justify accepting additional fleet constraints, which both reduce your operational flexibility and ability to maximize the frequency and capacity you are able to offer with your existing fleet, especially since freight traffic and switching between tracks minimizes the length of the segments where you might actually be able to reach 100 mph.

One can be certain that the finance side of the business will point to the extra capitalization on this line, relative to CN's busier single track lines handling equal ton-miles. That certainly was my experience about managing capital. And railway management is pretty ruthless about forcing cuts to extract excess capital. I have too much respect for CN as a business to believe they don't work this way.

If VIA is paying CN enough for that excess capitalisation, it may be moot for now. But if VIA runs fewer trains, presumably paying much less, the financial considerations will prevail. In that equation, taking track out of service is a very likely scenario.
I would expect that the interference imposed by VIA's operations will decrease post-HFR by much more than by what its train frequencies (and thus TSA payments) will decrease. Also, the TSA payments of a passenger railroad with an operations budget of just over $500 million are certainly too insignificant for a freight railroad with annual revenues worth $14.9 billion and costs worth $9.3 billion to motivate a decision which would drastically reduce the capacity and fluidity on probably the most important piece of their network (I wouldn't go as far as calling the "Montreal-Toronto rail corridor [...] the busiest in North America", but the blockades early this year have certainly shown that it is absolutely essential to CN).

I really have to push back on this statement...... I believe it's factually incorrect. CN went to DPU on the Kingston Sub long before they did west of Toronto. A couple of the intermodal land barges from the west turn left at Doncaster and continue on to Montreal unaltered, as do grain and other unit trains. A key operational constraint CN experiences on the Kingston is the need to cross over VIA trains around long freights - the train handling required to slow a freight to crossover speed and the time required for a long freight to cross over and clear is unacceptable. So VIA has to be the one that slows down and crosses over. Trains on the Kingston Sub are every bit as long and heavy as elsewhere.
I concede that you might be correct in suspecting that the operational differences between its transcontinental line and its Montreal-Toronto-Chicago main axis are not as significant as I had suggested, but this doesn't change that you seem to take for granted that CN will single-track parts of the Kingston Subdivision - at a time where CN invests heavily to do the exact opposite along large segments of its other high-volume lines.

Touche. Perhaps some of us need a "we're just specators in the bleachers" disclaimer at the bottom of our posts.

Having said that, for most of my career I was the "what might go wrong" guy rather than the "let's all get on the bandwagon and shout rah-rah" guy. It worked for me.

And I think it is fair to articulate strong belief of probability. A lawyer friend recently lamented that people use the terms "shall, will, and may" interchangeably and incorrectly. Is there a single word that means "can't say for certainty, but pretty damn likely, if you ask me"?
I don't have a problem with anyone expressing a strong sense of what might happen in the future, but it becomes tiring to argue with someone when that strong sense seems to be based on barely more than gut feeling.

Respectfully, this is the paradigm that resurfaces over and over again through the decades with respect to VIA service...."a few more minutes travel time won't hurt anything.....". What other business lets itself think this way? One would expect that VIA would insist on and articulate its vision of how the service can be improved.

For Kingston-Lakeshore, the limitations of the relationship with CN need to be acknowledged but not celebrated or baked into planning. Limiting service on the Lakeshore may be an unavoidable tradeoff in the push for HFR, but I would not represent it as an improvement or even status quo. There must be an ability to grow that service.

- Paul
Firstly, I was not talking about adding extra minutes to increase padding, but the necessity to adjust run times accordingly when extra stops are added.

Secondly, it is unfortunately as pointless to try to explain to someone the advantages of a reorganized Lakeshore service if he doesn’t want to talk about anything else than the travel time (and the nominal number of frequencies) between Kingston and Toronto as it is to explain the advantages of HFR to someone who won’t talk about anything else than the travel time between Montreal and Toronto. We can obsess about travel times when we are designing HSR, but first we need to figure out how we can get to a point where we could possibly justify demands for HSR!

Thirdly, VIA has steadily grown (and basically doubled) its frequencies along the Lakeshore in the last thirty years. In the case that post-HFR Lakeshore frequencies turn out to be insufficient to satisfy demand, I don’t see why incrementally increasing the frequencies again would be more difficult with a timetable architecture which significantly decreases the friction between passenger and freight operations than it has been in recent years.

Last edited:
You seem to be mostly concerned about how feasible commuting from Kingston to Toronto will become. The big opportunity with the refocusing of Lakeshore services on the needs of the Lakeshore communities is that it will dramatically improve the commutability for people living in places like Port Hope, Cobourg, Trenton, Belleville, Napanee or even Brockville, but working in Kingston (and the same will be true in the opposite direction).

I guess I've fixated on this because better service for Kingston seems to be how this is project was pitched. But other starting departures at Kingston, what you posit here is that the real beneficiary of this service model change is Belleville, Trenton, Cobourg, Port Hope, etc.

Somebody I know who has had a lot of contact with VIA at the top (and is normally extremely closemouthed about that) recently muttered “I told them over and over, they are not as air-competitive as they think they are”. They did not elaborate, but I found that an interesting insight.

Well at least they have somebody at VIA who thinks like a consumer....

It's not just VIA though. I find a lot of rail advocates have gotten so engrossed in the topic that they have lost sight of how a regular person (who has probably never taken VIA or used it very occasionally) might view rail travel and VIA.

What's really odd is that as airlines have cut space, they've understood they need to compensate with other amenities. For example, airlines have actually started investing on catering in economy over the last couple of years. Better items offered for sale and better meal itself on long haul. They invested a ton in connectivity, and made sure that the apps were fully stocked with content when they removed seatback screens on discount carriers.p. VIA itself and a lot of fans seem bent on arguing that VIA is competitive with air based on legroom and time to work (which is somewhat spinning).

There's things VIA can't change due to government funding or freight co track ownership. But I don't think it'd be a huge investment to offer an onboard app that integrates entertainment content and enables the purchase of catering from the device to the seat. And when it comes to food, would love to see VIA be more of flag bearer and really push Canadian cuisine (which they kinda do) and local ingredients onboard. Team up with celebrity chefs in various regions to design those menus. The extra dollar or two spent on a VIA 1 meal would go a long way. As would improving the options for sale in Economy. Lastly, the lounges. They are a little dated. But not just that, they need to both improve the offering (with access on arrival at more stations) and improve availability. There's some very busy stations without lounges (particularly the suburban ones), which will really become an issue with HFR as those suburban stations start generating lots of business travel too.

I will be very disappointed if we don’t see amenities of this sort with the Chargers.

Haven't seen anything that says VIA's onboard service will change with the Chargers.

Back