News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I understand the concept.....but I don’t understand why we are bound by it but America can have “buy America”. Why would “Buy Canada” be any different?

FYI....I am a believer in a low tariff, free trade world......I just don’t understand why we can be held to a higher standard than our major trading partner.

Part of it is because it's specifically written into CETA (European free trade agreement). The Buy America content would likely violate WTO rules, here's a link: https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/invest_e/invest_info_e.htm#skip

Part of it is because it's specifically written into CETA (European free trade agreement). The Buy America content would likely violate WTO rules, here's a link: https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/invest_e/invest_info_e.htm#skip
Good post. Neither agreement is fully ratified, but CETA is already pretty much in effect for well over 90% of what's been agreed, and railway equipment is even higher than that.So apparently Metro North also recently ordered Dual Mode Chargers if someone wants to look into that

USCMCA still have a few wrinkles to iron out, namely steel and other metals, and where it's sourced. There'll be a lot more in the news on that in the next few days.

I'm on record in this forum of 'holding Siemens to ransom' (as a surrogate of US regs) and perhaps supplying the same rolling stock in 'North Am form' from Germany instead of the US, at a price that would equal the US one plus the cost of reciprocal tariffs as the US would place on Cdn made locos and rolling stock. I'm sure this is being discussed right now in deliberations behind closed doors. A 'here's what will happen if you don't fully waiver steel and aluminum from Canada'.

I have little to no sympathy for BBD. They wanted to sell around the world, have done so, and now want to deny others the same.

Do I think Canada is using Siemens US as a 'bargaining chip'? You betcha...but Ottawa won't frame it that way.

Getting back to technical details, whoever is the announced finalist, it would be insanity to supply the locos as hybrids from the get-go, especially in lieu of Ontario now vacillating...without vaseline..."For the People"...the RFQ got around that by intimating upgrade to a dual later.

I'm intrigued by this:
So apparently Metro North also recently ordered Dual Mode Chargers if someone wants to look into that

If so, it means Siemens is well stanced to know what to quote, and how much for the entire package *minus* the traction xfrmr and control equipment which can be added as an upgrade later.

No way around it, they are impressive locos, and the coaches, if the Austrian based ones, also well tested and proven.

Addendum: (these would be third rail, haven't read up on this yet, but suspect the German, Austrian and other HQ would have a wealth of info on an HVAC catenary hybrid)
Metro North issues RFP for dual-mode locomotives - Train Orders
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4615114
Aug 17, 2018 - 14 posts - ‎1 author
https://www.railwayage.com/eoi-rfp-rfq-notices/metro-north-commuter- ... Looks like MN and Amtrak need to get together on the dual mode ones. ... From what I understand the Charger was designed specifically to replace the ...
Siemens SC44 and SCB40 model diesels - Trainorders.com
2 posts
May 6, 2018
A Metro-North / LIRR version of the Siemens Charger ...
3 posts
Jan. 5, 2017
MARC to end use of Electric Locomotives - Train Orders
21 posts
Sep. 21, 2015
More results from www.trainorders.com

Last edited:
Oh wow, I just searched for Siemens Charger. They look like ancient garbage, so I hope there's a better option. And this after we had waited so long for modern trains.
Does this mean plans for electrification are not happening for the foreseeable future, or will Via be getting a dual-mode variant?
Streamlined version is lit though.

Oh wow, I just searched for Siemens Charger. They look like ancient garbage, so I hope there's a better option.
"Ancient garbage"? Then perhaps we'd best turn back the clock. These aren't HSR, although the Brightline ones look it: https://www.google.ca/search?q=brightline+locomotive&client=ubuntu&hs=zTD&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Xyp0zIMXGFuxqM%3A%2CZBSNgiEC1eEcdM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kTRZVTg3ieNpXwb7ZeQjGKA2bVucA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjF-MjhiPbeAhVow4MKHeptCKkQ9QEwBXoECAQQDA#imgrc=ofOVdtV8fpWebM: The nose cones look incredibly unoriginal, like Eurostars et al, and with no increase in performance doing it, not to mention the cones will last a year and "look like garbage"
And this after we had waited so long for modern trains.
How's this look?
1543373442035.png
https://www.cnet.com/news/charger-into-the-future-inside-amtraks-new-charger-locomotive/

See:

Btw: ^ Look familiar? Took me a few minutes to realize what it mimics: LRT loco.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I just searched for Siemens Charger. They look like ancient garbage, so I hope there's a better option. And this after we had waited so long for modern trains.
Does this mean plans for electrification are not happening for the foreseeable future, or will Via be getting a dual-mode variant?

I agree that they look hideous, but they also have a good reputation (at least, thus far). I won't be surprised if these are just regular diesels, but we won't know for sure until VIA makes an announcement. I'll also be curious to see whether VIA's definition of "push-pull" means locomotives on each end, or a loco and a cab car.

Looks are a bonus. But not essential. I've said before, I hope they get a good looking train only because every point of appeal with the public counts these days. But it's not essential either. Especially without HFR.

The travelling public can’t tell the age of a train - or a plane, for that matter.

I am still suspicious that, after keeping its trains pretty through the Canada 150 year, VIA seemed to stop washing the exteriors altogether this past year. It’s almost as if someone decreed, Make these things look ratty, the public needs to see they need replacing.

Just a conspiracy theory.

- Paul

The travelling public can’t tell the age of a train - or a plane, for that matter.

I am still suspicious that, after keeping its trains pretty through the Canada 150 year, VIA seemed to stop washing the exteriors altogether this past year. It’s almost as if someone decreed, Make these things look ratty, the public needs to see they need replacing.

Just a conspiracy theory.

- Paul
Considering that I saw the same the McDonald's coffee cup in a vestibule of a train for 3 weeks straight, and they left a fridge on a train unrepaired for 2 months with a maintenance tag on it. I agree with what you said.

"Ancient garbage"? Then perhaps we'd best turn back the clock. These aren't HSR, although the Brightline ones look it: https://www.google.ca/search?q=brightline+locomotive&client=ubuntu&hs=zTD&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Xyp0zIMXGFuxqM%3A%2CZBSNgiEC1eEcdM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kTRZVTg3ieNpXwb7ZeQjGKA2bVucA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjF-MjhiPbeAhVow4MKHeptCKkQ9QEwBXoECAQQDA#imgrc=ofOVdtV8fpWebM: The nose cones look incredibly unoriginal, like Eurostars et al, and with no increase in performance doing it, not to mention the cones will last a year and "look like garbage"

How's this look?
https://www.cnet.com/news/charger-into-the-future-inside-amtraks-new-charger-locomotive/

See:

Btw: ^ Look familiar? Took me a few minutes to realize what it mimics: LRT loco.

*LRC loco

Florida's Brightline trains are chargers with a custom front hood to look more streamlined, and they look like HSR lite, just as HFR is proposed.
The cowling will be ineffective for the 175 kph, 110 mph limit VIA can operate at now, and will get damaged and interfere with end coupling and stationary hotel power connection when stabled.

Save the vanity nose jobs for fancy occasions, leave the coupler exposed out front for real world bumps and needs.

Back