News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's around $10.45 - $12 an hour for a bottom level position.

It's actually $10.25

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/pubs/guide/minwage.php

Minimum Wage Rate March 31, 2010 Current wage rate
General Minimum Wage $10.25 per hour
Student Minimum Wage $9.60 per hour
Liquor Servers Minimum Wage $8.90 per hour (regular waiters less than this)
Hunting and Fishing Guides Minimum Wage $51.25
Rate for working less than five consecutive hours in a day $102.50
Rate for working five or more hours in a day whether or not the hours are consecutive
Homeworkers Wage (110 per cent of the general minimum wage) $11.28 per hour

http://canadaonline.about.com/od/labourstandards/a/minimum-wage-in-canada.htm

What's stopping Wal-Mart from paying its employees a proper wage? It sure as hell isn't the government.

They asked to raise the U.S. minimum wage ages ago because they calculated it would further their attempt to bankrupt independent local competition.

Raising the minimum wage is no easy feat, it must be done delicately while levelling the ground for small and medium enterprises to cope. Walmart has never supported such a thing.

Wait a minute, you're contradicting yourself:

1. WalMart doesn't pay its employees enough. It should raise their wages.
2. WalMart asked the US government to raise the minimum wage.
3. This isn't fair to Walmart's competitors because now they have to pay their workers a wage that's as high as what Walmart pays its workers.

???????

When serious governments raise the minimum wage substantially, this needs to be done with a package of measures designed to ameliorate the effects of this rise for small and medium enterprises.

Walmart, who could pay their employees higher wages while remaining profitable, refuse to do so unless it is recklessly imposed on everyone else. They have historically paid their employees as little as they can get away with, and the only circumstance in which they would like to see it raised is if it's done in such a way that many jobs are lost.

In either scenario, the common good is not served.

When serious governments raise the minimum wage substantially, this needs to be done with a package of measures designed to ameliorate the effects of this rise for small and medium enterprises.

Walmart, who could pay their employees higher wages while remaining profitable, refuse to do so unless it is recklessly imposed on everyone else. They have historically paid their employees as little as they can get away with, and the only circumstance in which they would like to see it raised is if it's done in such a way that many jobs are lost.

Are you suggesting that government should be picking winners and losers and applying a minimum wage to only those employers that they deem to be unfair to their employees?
I don't know how frequently you find yourself in a Walmart store but my experience has been that the employees are pleasant and as helpful as they are in any other big box store. I see no balls and chains or overt resentment at having to work there, probably because they choose to work there for what ever reason.

I cannot stand Walmart. A US economics prof wrote a report explaining how for every 1 job Walmart creates, they destroy 3 in the local community.

The saddest thing is the demographics of the average Walmart shopper, are precisely the ppl that shouldn't support such a place.

Anyway, a Walmart in downtown Toronto is lunacy. Does Manhattan have Walmarts? Either should downtown Toronto.

I cannot stand Walmart. A US economics prof wrote a report explaining how for every 1 job Walmart creates, they destroy 3 in the local community.

The saddest thing is the demographics of the average Walmart shopper, are precisely the ppl that shouldn't support such a place.

Anyway, a Walmart in downtown Toronto is lunacy. Does Manhattan have Walmarts? Either should downtown Toronto.

Does Manhattan support the arts?

Last edited:

Small businesses do exactly the same thing. In fact, most of kensington do not pay their full share of sales tax, as someone that used to be involved in small business accounting, this is a fact. So let's not get on our high horse.

You seem to be full of partisan ideas, but few real life facts.

When was the last time a 'mom and pop' store paid any employees 20 an hour for an unskilled position?

I personally don't believe there should be a walmart, but that doesn't mean my personal prejudice should prohibit a business from trying to set roots in city approved site simply based on their business model.

If the local residents trully want a walmart out, they can easily not shop at the particular location, or attempt to unionize the store. Either way, the store will close due to lack of profitability, or historic behaviour.

If you can't unionize in NDP heartland, I don't know where else one could unionize.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if a Walmart opened in Manhattan. It could happen here as well, but it wouldn't be good for Kensington Market.

Walmart's TV ads boast that over 60% of Americans shop at a Walmart every week. That just doesn't seem healthy to me in any way, shape or form.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Walmart opened in Manhattan. It could happen here as well, but it wouldn't be good for Kensington Market.
I find it odd how there is Target/Kmart everywhere in NYC but no Walmart. I don't really see them as that different from each other.

NY City Council is dead set against it. They'll never allow it.

Plus the Walton's wouldn't want to upset the other billionaires who own real estate in Manhattan.

I find it odd how there is Target/Kmart everywhere in NYC but no Walmart. I don't really see them as that different from each other.

I can't speak to Target, never been in one, but Kmart was a small department store and more specialized. Walmart sells lots of almost everything and are four to ten times the size of an average Kmart.

Back