8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

http://www.searsholdings.com/careers/kmartbrand.html

•Big Kmart stores average between 84,000 to 120,000 sq. ft. in size
•Kmart Super Centers range in size from 140,000 to 190,000 square feet
•Traditional Kmart stores average between 80,000 to 110,000 square feet in size.

Walmart Supercenters are hypermarkets with size varying from 98,000 to 261,000 square feet (9,104.5 to 24,247.7 m2), with an average of about 197,000 square feet (18,301.9 m2).[

I can't speak to Target, never been in one, but Kmart was a small department store and more specialized. Walmart sells lots of almost everything and are four to ten times the size of an average Kmart.
The Kmart at Penn Station in NYC is HUGE. It's 3 floors and they do sell everything a Walmart sells. I don't see how it's any different from Walmart.

EDIT: I just did some research and it's 140,000 sqft...that's bigger than a lot of Walmarts.

The Kmart at Penn Station in NYC is HUGE. It's 3 floors and they do sell everything a Walmart sells. I don't see how it's any different from Walmart.

EDIT: I just did some research and it's 140,000 sqft...that's bigger than a lot of Walmarts.

So, where in Toronto is that?

Seeing as there are no Kmarts in Canada - nowhere.

Your assertion that Kmarts are a small department store that is 4 to ten times smaller than a Walmart is being disputed.

Seeing as there are no Kmarts in Canada - nowhere.

Your assertion that Kmarts are a small department store that is 4 to ten times smaller than a Walmart is being disputed.

HBC bought all the Kmarts in Canada and almost all became Zellers. Target bought most of the Zellers leases.

The Walmart Supercentre in Dufferin Mall is very small for its format.

Last edited:
HBC bought all the Kmarts in Canada and almost all became Zellers. Target bought most of the Zellers leases.

I'm well aware of that fact

I wouldn't be surprised if a Walmart opened in Manhattan. It could happen here as well, but it wouldn't be good for Kensington Market.
I find it odd how there is Target/Kmart everywhere in NYC but no Walmart. I don't really see them as that different from each other.
I can't speak to Target, never been in one, but Kmart was a small department store and more specialized. Walmart sells lots of almost everything and are four to ten times the size of an average Kmart.

So, where in Toronto is that?

The discussion was clearly about NYC. So why try trolling about the location now?

A lot of Walmarts have grocery sections in them. I asked some people i know who live downtown why they shop at Walmart? They said cost. Walmart is a lot cheaper than Metro,Loblaws,Sobey's and Walmart's quality is just as good as the other grocery chains. I don't shop at Walmart but i was surprised to hear that.

Last edited:
A lot of Walmarts have grocery sections in them. I asked some people i know who live downtown why they shop at Walmart? They said cost. Walmart is a lot cheaper than Metro,Loblaws,Sobey's and Walmart's quality is just as good as the other grocery chains. I don't shop at Walmart but i was surprised to hear that.

Yeah, their grocery section isn't bad but it only sells the basics. You wouldn't be able to find anything more exotic than a mango and practically no specialty herbs, spices, oils, etc. or any interesting cuts of meat. It kind of reminds me of what grocery stores used to be in small towns about 25 years ago.

That's the thing with Walmart and the thing that people are constantly missing when they say it'll kill Kensington: Walmart just sells basics. They don't sell fancy shoes. They don't sell fancy bikes. They don't sell cheese that doesn't come pre-sliced. They compete with other big box retailers who sell basic, high-turnover, low-medium quality household items. These same retailers buy their products from the same Chinese suppliers and pay their workers the same wages. The only reason Walmart gets all the flak is because it's the largest retailer and therefore a symbol to hang your grievances of the whole retail industry on. It's similar to McDonald's. Nobody makes movies about how unhealthy it is to eat at Burger King or Taco Bell, but you're putting the same garbage in your mouth. Or worse.

On a separate note:

One of the major problems with these types of stores is that they cannibalise existing markets and replace them with much lower quality products - thus hurting the market's long term prospects.

There's plenty of demand for bicycles in the suburbs, for example, but Canadian Tire and Walmart offer such cheap pricing that it's next to impossible to compete with them. The real problem is that the bicycles they sell - while cheap - are for the most part very poorly constructed, and fail to perform as intended while needing repairs almost straight away.

The end result is that while customers saved $200 on their bicycle, they will need to spend about $100 on it over the following year to keep it running, and will be turned off of bicycles in general. People who are already clued-up on bikes have to go out of their way to find a good store, and younger customers who didn't know a thing about bicycles are unlikely to return not just to Walmart and CT, but to cycling as a whole.

On a separate note:

One of the major problems with these types of stores is that they cannibalise existing markets and replace them with much lower quality products - thus hurting the market's long term prospects.

There's plenty of demand for bicycles in the suburbs, for example, but Canadian Tire and Walmart offer such cheap pricing that it's next to impossible to compete with them. The real problem is that the bicycles they sell - while cheap - are for the most part very poorly constructed, and fail to perform as intended while needing repairs almost straight away.

The end result is that while customers saved $200 on their bicycle, they will need to spend about $100 on it over the following year to keep it running, and will be turned off of bicycles in general. People who are already clued-up on bikes have to go out of their way to find a good store, and younger customers who didn't know a thing about bicycles are unlikely to return not just to Walmart and CT, but to cycling as a whole.

Short of a flat tire or a chain coming off, I've never had such disastrous problems with bikes from Canadian Tire or Walmart that I've had to pay $100 to repair them orto swear of riding a bike again.

I work closely with the bicycle industry, and they will point out that the vast majority of working bicycles in Toronto streets are either non-Big Box bikes, or older ones from back when Canadian Tire bicycles were still well-made (they were!).

The ones they sell today are so poorly built it's unreal, and I personally know many people who grow up to think of bikes as toys because of how unreliable and underperforming Big Box bicycles have become. It doesn't help they encourage people to buy mountain bikes for riding around the city - but what do they know...

I work closely with the bicycle industry, and they will point out that the vast majority of working bicycles in Toronto streets are either non-Big Box bikes, or older ones from back when Canadian Tire bicycles were still well-made (they were!).

The ones they sell today are so poorly built it's unreal, and I personally know many people who grow up to think of bikes as toys because of how unreliable and underperforming Big Box bicycles have become. It doesn't help they encourage people to buy mountain bikes for riding around the city - but what do they know...

A lot of the big-box bicycles come from the Far East. The Far East used to be nations of bicycle riders, but with such low quality, guess why sales of automobiles are going up there?

A lot of the big-box bicycles come from the Far East. The Far East used to be nations of bicycle riders, but with such low quality, guess why sales of automobiles are going up there?
Yes, it must be because of the low quality of their bicycles.

Back