News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Vive la différence !

Let me use Bose as an example.

The Bose headphones sold in Costco is actually the older model (go to costco.ca and search for Bose headphones), while the Bose headphones sold in the Bose store, Best Buy, and Future Shop are the latest model (see here for example: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=c104ad0075bcc7af70af60e47aa7a9aden02). Note that if one were to buy a set of Bose headphones for full price at the Bose store and a few weeks later, Best Buy sells the same headphones at a discount, the Bose store will refund the difference to the customer, allowing the customer to have the best of both worlds: getting the headphones early and being able to take advantage of any sales that happen later.

Last edited:
Vive la différence !

Let me use Bose as an example.

The Bose headphones sold in Costco is actually the older model (go to costco.ca and search for Bose headphones), while the Bose headphones sold in the Bose store, Best Buy, and Future Shop are the latest model (see here for example: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=c104ad0075bcc7af70af60e47aa7a9aden02). Note that if one were to buy a set of Bose headphones for full price at the Bose store and a few weeks later, Best Buy sells the same headphones at a discount, the Bose store will refund the difference to the customer, allowing the customer to have the best of both worlds: getting the headphones early and being able to take advantage of any sales that happen later.

Word of advice: Don't ever buy Bose headphones.

While there is a large segment of society that has rung up huge credit card debt buying disposable household goods, I don't think that they are going into debt because they are buying the bare necessities - I think these people are indulging in frivolous spending.

It's the frivolities that make life worth living. The best things in life may be free....but the second best things in life are quite expensive.

If your or your family's diet consists of what is sold in Walmarts, then you aren't eating healthy. Walmart shoppers don't "cook" much. (my definition of cooking anyway). Whatever Walmart shoppers may save is just blown on scratch cards anyway.

If your or your family's diet consists of what is sold in Walmarts, then you aren't eating healthy. Walmart shoppers don't "cook" much. (my definition of cooking anyway). Whatever Walmart shoppers may save is just blown on scratch cards anyway.
Wow, that's pretty obnoxious and of course incorrect.

I'm not a big fan of the freshness of Wal-Mart produce, but otherwise could easily do a large chunk of my grocery shopping there. If you're making things from scratch, you can get the stuff anywhere. One does not need to buy the overpriced pre-prepared food you might find at Pusateri's or whatever.

However, as I've said before, I'm not a fan of the freshness or selection of Kensington Market produce either, and therefore do most of my grocery shopping elsewhere. When I'm in the area of Kensington Market and am doing grocery shopping, I go to Chinatown, for fresher food and cheaper prices.

BTW, what's more healthy, baking your own bread with flour you buy at Wal-Mart, or buying it from Cob's in Kensington Market? I dunno, cuz the "healthiness" is probably similar most of the time, but I could definitely tell you which one's cheaper.

I am amazed people would do grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. It's well publicized how poor Wal-Mart's standards are when it comes produce management. I would never grocery shop at Wal-Mart.

I once checked out the produce section at the square one location, and I was amazed at how bad the quality was. The prices weren't that much lower than what you would find at dedicated grocery stores.

I remember Canadian Tire was looking at introducing grocery in their stores, but backed away from the plan, citing it would be too difficult to maintain freshness, quality.

I am amazed people would do grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. It's well publicized how poor Wal-Mart's standards are when it comes produce management. I would never grocery shop at Wal-Mart.

I once checked out the produce section at the square one location, and I was amazed at how bad the quality was. The prices weren't that much lower than what you would find at dedicated grocery stores.

I remember Canadian Tire was looking at introducing grocery in their stores, but backed away from the plan, citing it would be too difficult to maintain freshness, quality.
I agree, but then again why are so many people advocating buying the stuff at Kensington Market? Cuz the produce there usually sucks too. It's better in Chinatown a block away, or else Loblaws or Metro or Sobeys or Rabba (although Rabba has a limited selection). Actually, Whole Foods by far has the best produce, but I never shop there since it's so incredibly expensive.

BTW, what's more healthy, baking your own bread with flour you buy at Wal-Mart, or buying it from Cob's in Kensington Market? I dunno, cuz the "healthiness" is probably similar most of the time, but I could definitely tell you which one's cheaper.

I'm willing to bet the home made bread in general has less contact with rats and roaches than anything coming out of Kensington Market.

Wow, that's pretty obnoxious

My humour is sometimes perceived that way.

BTW, what's more healthy, baking your own bread with flour you buy at Wal-Mart, or buying it from Cob's in Kensington Market?

Trick question.....neither of the above.

But I somehow doubt your average Walmart shopper is baking their bread from scratch. They are consuming their carbs from Wonder Bread and Kraft Dinner (not that the wheat in Cobs bread is any healthier for you, but it will probably taste better).

Cheap. Fast. Good. ......pick two (we know which two the Walmart shopper picks)

Switch out walmart shoppers for welfare recipients in the above quote, throw in a snide comment about buying beer and you have a choice right-wing resentment against the working poor. Not in my neighbourhood, thank you very much.

Yea....I live in Parkdale, so you couldn't have been more incorrect in your characterization. Lifestyle choices have nothing to do with income.

Chain stores competing in the discount merchandise war is a race to the bottom. I gave up on Canadian Tire when they were selling those horribly bad quality Barcelona Chair knock offs.

Three words: One Stop Shopping.

But I somehow doubt your average Walmart shopper is baking their bread from scratch.
Most aren't of course, but you should realize that Wal-Mart sells breadmakers. It's insanely easy to make bread in those.

They are consuming their carbs from Wonder Bread and Kraft Dinner (not that the wheat in Cobs bread is any healthier for you, but it will probably taste better).
I love Kraft Dinner. Nothing wrong with having that every once in a while. :)

BTW, I just had a cocktail party catered at my house. I put macaroni and cheese on the hors d'oeuvres menu. It was a big hit. (Admittedly, it wasn't KD though. ;))

Back