News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

What's the point that guy is even trying to make? he's in a mall before it's open, during Covid when everyone was working from home still. What a dumb video...
Exactly,. The fact that he purposely filmed the mall before businesses opened, means he has some kind of agenda, just not sure what it is.. His other videos are all fear mongering type videos about the housing market.

Feel free to give it some downvotes. :) Even though YouTube doesn't show the down votes, they still figure into their algorithm.

Anyone wanting a good laugh should check out this thread on SSP where p_xavier is claiming that Alberta is on the brink of becoming a breakaway white nationalist state. Oh and he threatens to sue the site if they don't take down his ridiculous posts and the ensuing debate.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236344&page=2004

It starts around here and keeps going and going and going.

SSP is a sewer, best to just stay away from there.

Agreed Alberta is in a dangerous place though, Danielle Smith is doing massive damage and is being applauded for it. If she wins the UCP and somehow doesn't steer all the moderate votes to Notely, Alberta will forever be tarnished with her BS.

I agree Alberta is in dangerous territory, but I feel like it's not as dangerous as the situation Quebec has been in with Levesque and Parizeau. I think Danielle Smith and the redneck faction gets a lot of media attention, but I don't know if the actual support represents the media attention they get.
I could be wrong and misreading what I see, but my take is that Calgary has turned the corner enough that if someone like Danielle smith gets in, people won't vote UCP. Last election, a number of people held their nose and voted UCP based on jobs and the oil industry.

I agree Alberta is in dangerous territory, but I feel like it's not as dangerous as the situation Quebec has been in with Levesque and Parizeau. I think Danielle Smith and the redneck faction gets a lot of media attention, but I don't know if the actual support represents the media attention they get.
I could be wrong and misreading what I see, but my take is that Calgary has turned the corner enough that if someone like Danielle smith gets in, people won't vote UCP. Last election, a number of people held their nose and voted UCP based on jobs and the oil industry.
Smith has written/said the following:
“we have two years to direct our provincial government to start building the capacity to be able to stand on its own two feet if need be, by collecting all its own taxes, for instance”[1]

“ If the rest of Canada rejects Alberta's proposal to govern the country the way it should be, the province would exercise its right under the Clarity Act to hold a referendum on separation. Either way, Alberta would get the federal system it wants.

“Forty years of federal abuse is enough -- it's time for Alberta to play hardball.”[2]

“as we learned from Quebec's sovereignty drive, these movements can gel and advance extraordinarily quickly, given the right political climate”[3]

“I'm committed to doing exactly what Quebec has done, we want all the powers that Quebec is currently exercising”[4]

" I’m walking in parallel with the Alberta Prosperity Project, but I’m still trying to give Canada one more chance."[5]

[5] Danielle Smith, June 17, 2022
[4] Danielle Smith, July 27, 2022
[3] Danielle Smith, July 10, 2004
[2] Danielle Smith, Sep 7, 2005
[1] Danielle Smith, Feb 5, 2021

I think it is entirely reasonable to believe that Smith will propose a really weird/not going to fly thing, that will then be rejected, and will then call a separation referendum. BEFORE A PROVINCIAL ELECTION.

Outside of rural Alberta, is there really any support for separation? I mean, it is a talking point for 'flexing muscles' and getting attention but such action is not based in reality.
Real separation (and the Fed and rest of the provinces would make sure it is real) would create far more hardship for the average Albertan when you drill down to what is at stake. I don't believe the average Calgarian or Edmontonian has thought seriously about it and would vote in favour. The only time I hear the subject is when politicians bring it up or from people who phone in to talk radio.

The issue is, you have the crowd that thinks it is a negotiating position to extract concessions. Like with Brexit. They don't understand what concessions Quebec got (not much), but are convinced they'd be material.

So if you go into a referendum with a big crowd thinking it is all just symbolic like the equalization one we could wake up in a different country.

Back