News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wasted Effort?

Lovely.....are we ever going to finish something properly in this city? Sigh.

The new plan still needs to be voted on. A note from the earlier Globe article:
A final report is set to go to the city’s executive committee in June and to council a month later.

There should be enough time to restart CodeBlueTO and convince councillors against the 'plan'/compromise. I'm incredulous at the ridiculous amount of effort it takes to keep the Fords from seriously messing with the city.

Learn more about the port lands project March 31

The second round of public consultation on the plan to accelerate the development of the port lands will be held Saturday, March 31 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Design Exchange, 234 Bay St.

Hosted by Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto, the consultation will include presentations on the work done so far, key findings and preliminary options. A summary overview will take place at 9:30 a.m. and at 1 p.m.

From 10 a.m. to noon and from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. there will be an open house where people can learn about the background of the port lands, economics, markets and financing, flood protection, naturalization and green space, and development planning and phasing. Members of the public are invited to give their input and feedback at identical workshops Tuesday, April 3 at the St. Lawrence Hall (The Great Hall), 157 King St. E. from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. and Wednesday, April 4 at the Weston Harbour Castle (Metro West Ballroom), 1 Harbour Sq. from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.

All are welcome.

Those who can't make it in person can also take part online by visiting www.portlandsconsult.ca

The site will include presentations and information from the open house. It will also have an online version of the roundtable discussion.

For an agenda of the meeting, visit www.portlandsconsult.ca, email info@portlandsconsult.ca or call 647-723-6648.

Alternatively, people can visit www.waterfronttoronto.ca or call 311 for more details.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...rn-more-about-the-port-lands-project-march-31

Meanwhile, some of those originally in charge of planning are understandably upset. Milcyzn's comments make me wonder what sort of architect he is.

Revised plan for Port Lands slammed
ELIZABETH CHURCH
From Friday's Globe and Mail
Published Thursday, Mar. 29, 2012 9:24PM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Mar. 29, 2012 9:35PM EDT

Ken Greenberg, a member of the team that designed the proposed riverside park at the mouth of the Don River, says revisions to the award-winning plan will strip the Port Lands of “all that is special.”

The suggested changes are part of a review of the Port Lands plan by the city and Waterfront Toronto and are expected to save as much as $150-million. They will also create larger areas for development.

Mr. Greenberg, a prominent architect and urban designer, said his team was never consulted by the city or Waterfront Toronto about possible changes to its design – advice he says he would have been happy to give.

The revisions would “gut” the original design, he said.

“This has been value engineered into total mediocrity,” Mr. Greenberg said. “What is happening here? Have we become so mean-spirited that we can no longer produce generous public spaces that celebrate our waterfront?”

The review was requested last September by city council and is examining ways to kick-start development on the massive site. It was part of a compromised brokered by councillors after Councillor Doug Ford spearheaded a move for the city to take back control of the Port Lands from Waterfront Toronto. He expressed frustration with the decades-long timeline for development and mused about a mega-mall and Ferris wheel.

The original plan – developed by Waterfront Toronto and which includes a $634-million design to naturalize the river’s banks – is the result of years of consultations and an environmental assessment. The new study takes a second look at other options in the environmental assessment and proposes one that includes larger blocks of land for development and a narrower strip of riverside park.

Mr. Greenberg said if adopted the proposed revisions would mark a return to the “penny-pinching attitude” of the city’s past.

Councillor Peter Milczyn, chair of the planning and growth committee and one of the architects of the Port Lands compromise last summer, said the revisions stick to the “spirit and intent” of the existing environmental assessment. “It’s about making it more financially viable,” he said. The money saved with the changes, he said, will be more than enough to pay for all the other parks planned for the area.

An open house is planned for Saturday to present the new study.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...d-plan-for-port-lands-slammed/article2386584/

Last edited:
‘I told you so,’ says Doug Ford about new Port Lands plan...

and previously: "We need the revenue, not other people. [Waterfront Toronto] are coming out with their proposed plan — we’ll work with them — the bottom line is we need the money.”

Torontonians need to ensure is that the Frauds don't gain access to the revenue generated by the development of the Port Lands. They are desperate for the revenues and they will use it for stupid, wasteful, and ugly purposes.

Ford's grubby swollen fingers need to be kept out of the Port Lands.

Of course the old plan is better. But of course in the end its all about development and making way for more land for it and condos.

I'm sorry I have nothing more intelligent to say but I have to speak my mind: these people are fucking idiots of the highest calibre. Grubby old bastards. And then people wonder why the youth are apathetic. It's because they're up against the most short-sighted and gargantuan ignorance of all time with a lot of these baby Boomer political jokes. I don't want to live in a world left behind for my generation by twats like this.

Seriously, how much land are you saving for development? Are these asses capable of thinking outside of the confines of finances for once? Probably not, seeing as they have a hate-on for artists who are their mental opposites. Shit like this makes me sad.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I have nothing more intelligent to say but I have to speak my mind: these people are fucking idiots of the highest calibre. Grubby old bastards. And then people wonder why the youth are apathetic. It's because they're up against the most short-sighted and gargantuan ignorance of all time with a lot of these baby Boomer political jokes. I don't want to live in a world left behind for my generation by twats like this.

Seriously, how much land are you saving for development? Are these asses capable of thinking outside of the confines of finances for once? Probably not, seeing as they have a hate-on for artists who are their mental opposites. Shit like this makes me sad.

It's as if they are trying to drive people away from Toronto.

No kidding....between crap like this and unfinished projects like the Sheppard subway....they sure are trying to drive people away. I mean, I love Toronto and really want to live there but there's only so much miser-like city building I can handle before it become less of a desirable place for me. I don't really have many options though....only other place I might be willing to live is Van City but that's over-priced and depressingly rainy. I guess I'll end up pulling the opposite of what my parents did and head back to Europe. (ok, now I'm probably just being melodramatic)

No kidding....between crap like this and unfinished projects like the Sheppard subway....they sure are trying to drive people away. I mean, I love Toronto and really want to live there but there's only so much miser-like city building I can handle before it become less of a desirable place for me. I don't really have many options though....only other place I might be willing to live is Van City but that's over-priced and depressingly rainy. I guess I'll end up pulling the opposite of what my parents did and head back to Europe. (ok, now I'm probably just being melodramatic)

You aren't! I've consider Birmingham, Belfast, Glasgow and Leeds in the UK. I also want to visit Chicago and Los Angeles. Canada, Halifax seems nice, as does Victoria. I also want to visit Ottawa, their BRT system is to notch.

As for this, its true. You want Toronto to succeed so bad, but they keep messing it up. It's happening way too often. This BS with the transit should have never happend. This waterfront plan is awful for so many reasons.

Ottawa sucks....at least for me. Lived there for two years, hated it. Not my kinda nightlife. Halifax I've always wanted to visit. Fly porter. Have a laugh. I'm so down.

Toronto keeps on playing the short-sighted pauper card. Shut the f*ck up already and do something for future generations.

Before you slag the plan too much take a close look at the current WT info on their website: http://www.portlandsconsultation.ca/

They have actually improved the original plan and have not reduced the effective park area at all. The only real compromise is the (temporary) disappearance of the promenade park, but that could be reintroduced in the future. It was due to shipping and dredging routes that this was pulled back.

Back