upload_2018-6-14_15-13-38.png
    550.6 KB · Views: 2,807
  • upload_2018-6-14_15-14-39.png
    upload_2018-6-14_15-14-39.png
    443.6 KB · Views: 2,831
  • upload_2018-6-14_15-16-20.png
    upload_2018-6-14_15-16-20.png
    569.5 KB · Views: 2,780
Is Harbour Street going to be renamed as Harbour Street East / West after the alignment is straightened and extended passed Yonge?

Just a random thought that came to mind today, and looking at the documents above, I don't see any mention of it.

Is Harbour Street going to be renamed as Harbour Street East / West after the alignment is straightened and extended passed Yonge?

Just a random thought that came to mind today, and looking at the documents above, I don't see any mention of it.
I thought about this, and figured 'well, there's gotta be examples of streets that aren't east-west and cross Yonge' But on a quick glance, the ones that don't have east/west actually change names. e.g. College/Carlton, Church/Davenport, Davisville/Chaplin. So perhaps!

I thought about this, and figured 'well, there's gotta be examples of streets that aren't east-west and cross Yonge' But on a quick glance, the ones that don't have east/west actually change names. e.g. College/Carlton, Church/Davenport, Davisville/Chaplin. So perhaps!

Don't forget Belmont/Aylmer, Broadway/Montgomery, Empress/Park Home and of course York Mills/Wilson!

Moving onwards...

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Call number:9148-19-7153
Commodity:Professional Services, Consulting Services
Description:Preliminary Engineering Design (30%) for the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan.
Preliminary Engineering Design (30%) for the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan. Two-Envelope System
Issue date:August 8, 2019
ecblank.gif
Closing date:September 9, 2019
at 12:00 Noon

The City of Toronto (the "City") requires the provision of engineering services to develop preliminary engineering design (30%) for the Lower Yonge Precinct infrastructure improvements. Specifically, the successful Proponent shall conduct the preliminary design for the approved recommendations identified in the Lower Yonge Precinct Schedule C Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (May 2018).

As part of the Lower Yonge Precinct Environmental Assessment (EA) process, detailed evaluation of alternative transportation infrastructure solutions was conducted to support the planned development of the Lower Yonge Precinct, recommending a number of components outlined in the RFP document.

Let me get this straight.

They are already building a 95 storey condo tower (and 5 more as I recall) in what was the parking lot of Canada Post / the Toronto Star’s til 1990 printing plant.

And now they need to design the infrastructure to support this? Shouldn’t this kind of thing be done before the black water from 2000 people is hurtling to the ground (next to the lake) from the 95th floor?

Honestly, this leaves me shaking my head a bit.

Let me get this straight.

They are already building a 95 storey condo tower (and 5 more as I recall) in what was the parking lot of Canada Post / the Toronto Star’s til 1990 printing plant.

And now they need to design the infrastructure to support this? Shouldn’t this kind of thing be done before the black water from 2000 people is hurtling to the ground (next to the lake) from the 95th floor?

Honestly, this leaves me shaking my head a bit.
Why? There is (or will be) enough capacity to support this building and any already approved but NOT for the far larger number yet to come and/or the new streets that will be built. They are working using the already approved Precinct Plan.

From the Lower Yonge construction phasing documents; we can see the applicable projects.

Items 1 and 2 are the applicable alterations to Gardiner ramps in the vicinity of Yonge.

1) Removal of the Bay Street on-ramp to the eastbound Gardiner Expressway;
2) Shortening of the Lower Jarvis Street off-ramp from the eastbound Gardiner Expressway to land west of Yonge Street;
3) Elimination of the eastbound "S-curve" on Harbour Street and normalization of the Yonge Street/Harbour Street and Yonge Street/Lake Shore Boulevard intersections;
4) Creation of one additional eastbound lane on Lake Shore Boulevard East from Yonge Street to Lower Jarvis Street; and
5) Conversion of Harbour Street from York Street to Yonge Street into two-way operation.

For a look at the gist of the layout of the new off-ramp; go to p.31/32 of the document linked below:

Last edited:

(Psst, you can add #page=num to the end of the URL and most modern browsers will link to that page of the PDF - a useful tip I thought I'd share!) ;)

Last edited:

Back