News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 203 72.5%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 20 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.7%

• Total voters
No idea where this should go under, but will start here.

There are 2 sites for this event, but I believe The Globe and Mail Building on King St is the right one. Can't make either day since I am already book elsewhere

Waterfront for All Waterfront Summit

I'm writing to let you know about the upcoming Waterfront Summit, organized by Waterfront for All (http://waterfrontforall.ca).

The Summit is happening this coming Friday evening (October 27) and Saturday through the day (October 28), at the Globe and Mail Events Centre (351 King Street East, near Berkeley).

The Summit will have a range of topics, some of which I believe will be of interest to you. In particular, the workshop on "Access: Getting to, Across and Into the Water(front)" might be of interest. We have arranged many excellent speakers and presenters; the attached PDFs outline both details on the Summit and on Waterfront for All as an organization.

If you are interested, you can register online at http://waterfrontforall.ca/waterfrontsummit. I'd appreciate very much if you could pass this information along to others you think might beinterested, as well.

We are expecting this to be an excellent event and opportunity for the various stakeholders on Toronto's waterfront to get to know each other and the things they have in common.

-- Ron Jenkins

As expected, from WT October Newsletter. Let's hope they listened to the less than thrilled responses at the public consultations!

Waterfront Transit “Reset” Phase 2 Study update
On September 18 and 26, the City of Toronto, in partnership with Waterfront Toronto and the Toronto Transit Commission, held a public meeting for the Waterfront Transit “Reset” Phase 2 Study. The public was presented with an update of the technical work completed during Phase 2, draft directions for the study area, and next steps. If you were unable to attend either public meeting, you can view the full presentation here. The City of Toronto’s staff report and study recommendations will be submitted at the November 29th Executive Committee Meeting.

As expected, from WT October Newsletter. Let's hope they listened to the less than thrilled responses at the public consultations!

Waterfront Transit “Reset” Phase 2 Study update
On September 18 and 26, the City of Toronto, in partnership with Waterfront Toronto and the Toronto Transit Commission, held a public meeting for the Waterfront Transit “Reset” Phase 2 Study. The public was presented with an update of the technical work completed during Phase 2, draft directions for the study area, and next steps. If you were unable to attend either public meeting, you can view the full presentation here. The City of Toronto’s staff report and study recommendations will be submitted at the November 29th Executive Committee Meeting.
So that why we haven't seen the report for next week as plan and going to council on Nov 2 because its late. Lets see how much BS goes into the report since we already wasted 2 years proving the original approved plans were correct.

The only thing worth well that came out of this study was an ROW on Lake Shore from Humber Bay West, shift Bathurst St to the west, fixing the final section of Queens Quay W, closing Fleet to Traffic, getting funding to build the 30% design of extending 509 to Dufferin Loop and more riders out bound than in bound at AM peak.

Given the fact that most plans and approved EA were done before density jump 6 times what was original plan for the Waterfront, we choice the right stuff.

Everyone needs to get there head out of their ass and realize the two propose plans over the expansion of Union Loop were rejected in 2008 for QQE and need to be done again, regardless if the expanded loop is out of date today and will never handle the ridership that plan for the area now.

Councillors Grimes and DiCiano are getting an early start on the Waterfront Reset discussion, particularly about moving the Mimico GO station...

Good to see, but I'm pretty sure Grimes and DiCiano are trying to appease everyone and are insisting on Mimico remaining and Park Lawn being built in addition to it. Grimes has also stated that the City would insist on keeping the employment designation for the Christie site - don't see how he expects First Capital to contribute to a transit hub if they are not allowed to build out the site with commercial / residential.

commercial is allowed in employment lands - but residential is key. It's silly to continue to restrict the lands to employment only given their size and the owners willingness to indroduce a mix of uses. Mixed use communities are the best forms of communities, and leaving it as employment will not foster that kind of environment.

I guess it's a question of what mix is proposed. It seems silly to stand on principle and insist on solely employment lands, but given the scope of what has already been built around the area, I wonder if First is just another greedy developer lining up to build condos right up to the sky - or do they have a good well thought out proposal that would maximise what employment could be attracted to the site. The City does need job creation, and the area needs more commercial development. Hopefully it will all come together.

- Paul

Councillors Grimes and DiCiano are getting an early start on the Waterfront Reset discussion, particularly about moving the Mimico GO station...

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2017.MM34.3

- Paul
There is a strong wave of community activism for this GO station. When people realized the LRT would offer similar ride times as the 501, they realized this station is needed more than ever. The LRT is a nice addition, but it’s not the type of transit this area needs.

At the very least - we want metrolinx to redo the IBC using correct assumptions (such as 2030 population, Christie’s, hubbing of TTC services and parking). We also want them to cost out what kind of monies they’d get from FC.

Either that or build a road that cuts directly through Mimico to HBS. If they want their station so bad then they shouldn’t mind making it functional.

If GO-RER can work out for Humber Bay that would be nice.

LRT is good for interrim destinations but the only major interrim destination for downtown-bound HBS commuters is Liberty Village, which will have its own station.

My concern is that the Lakeshore GO Line will be so congested at that point that it would be the equivalent of attempting to get on the Yonge Line at Summerhill today. Redundancy through LRT might still be important.

My concern is that the Lakeshore GO Line will be so congested at that point that it would be the equivalent of attempting to get on the Yonge Line at Summerhill today. Redundancy through LRT might still be important.

I'm going to sound like @steve for a moment - but - this stretch of GO could well become a Paris- like RER line with EMU trains running on closer-to-subway-like headways. It would need more track capacity - with a 4th track west of Canpa it could look and work a lot like the Amtrak NEC in New Jersey.

To do this, one might have to re-optimise station location all along the LSW. The service envelope might look different - Etobicoke might look a lot like Newark, with both municipal transit and Regional Rail links to downtown.

So - I would not downplay either RER or LRT. Humber Bay needs both. RER can provide the necessary capacity.

- Paul

Last edited:
Nov 3
Hard to tell if the CIBC Project is allowing room under the new sidewalk for a platform or tunnel for the Union Loop expansion since can't get clear shots of the area. If that the case, then the 2 options are DOA. I know there was talk that land would be set a side for the loop expansion, but the biggest area is under the overhead that will have to be hand dug.
37460211514_0d4fe3606c_b.jpg

24317853508_e787a6bbb6_b.jpg

37460203864_94889b9f87_b.jpg

Have heard there is an in fight in the team to have a final report for next week that various people have asked to have their names remove from the report, even though they wrote various section. Conclusion seem to be the issue, but could be more.

All 3 options are still going forward for next week meeting if it remain on course.

TTC is to prepare a report on the people mover on top what already written and they strongly opposed the walkway and the people mover.

One can say on one hand, its Waterfront Toronto causing the problem, but one can't blame them since they wanted QQE yesterday since 2008. Time to get the QQE built ASP.

I'm going to sound like @steve for a moment - but - this stretch of GO could well become a Paris- like RER line with EMU trains running on closer-to-subway-like headways. It would need more track capacity - with a 4th track west of Canpa it could look and work a lot like the Amtrak NEC in New Jersey.

Agreed with both, and I believe a fourth track is being planned for the Christie's site station anyway. It's an absolutely valid point that 'too many stops' and outer regions GO service, at least during peak, are not mutually inclusive. Frankly, I think mixed local and regional can be run on three tracks, it's well within modern signal and control parameters, but a fourth track adds huge redundancy to it. If the NY subway can do it, why can't Metrolinx? (Actually don't answer that, because they probably couldn't while others do).

What I would suggest is that provision be made for the 'local' tracks to diverge from the main and into their underground alignment north of Union...and be part of the Relief Line, but I digress.

Back