News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 203 72.5%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 20 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.7%

• Total voters
I see that the spin is 'too much business for Executive" - I suspect the real reason is backroom arm-twisting!

"The results of Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 2 were anticipated to be reported by City staff to the Executive Committee of Toronto City Council in Fall 2017, most recently scheduled for the November 29, 2017 meeting.

The City Clerk has a number of other major items on the November 29, 2017 Executive Committee agenda. For this reason, Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 2 is rescheduled to be reported at the January 24, 2018 Executive Committee meeting."

I see that the spin is 'too much business for Executive" - I suspect the real reason is backroom arm-twisting!

"The results of Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 2 were anticipated to be reported by City staff to the Executive Committee of Toronto City Council in Fall 2017, most recently scheduled for the November 29, 2017 meeting.

The City Clerk has a number of other major items on the November 29, 2017 Executive Committee agenda. For this reason, Waterfront Transit Reset Phase 2 is rescheduled to be reported at the January 24, 2018 Executive Committee meeting."

Adequate Waterfront Transit is already years and years behind schedule, why not delay talking about it (and not doing anything about it) for another couple months or so? Heck, why not just delay another couple of decades?

It’s not like there are crisis situations, like what’s going on at Humber Bay Shores, or anything like that. :mad:

Waterfront Transit should be priority number 1 for mayoral election (assuming the DRL is already gotten the approvals).

Report coming to the Exec committee next week
Still no solution for Union station, however, they are now proposing LRT platforms at 45 Bay st as one of the options. I think it's the best compromise.
I'd often studied that. It makes incredible sense, and by far, the easiest and most economical to achieve.

Having read the general report to Exec, but not the backgrounds............

As noted above the solution for Bay St. isn't yet settled. Technically the funicular is still on the table; though I don't believe (and hope) that is not serious. Still, a waste of money giving it further study.

Also of note.

Clear direction on which projects are in queue.

West extension to Dufferin Gate is at 30% design stage ( it will almost certainly be submitted to PTIF and funded).

QQE is up next in the pecking order. Unclear to me if they will get a solution in place in time for PTIF.

Further down the pipe is an exclusive ROW btw, Colborne Lodge Drive and Dufferin Gate.

More detail to come.

Waterfront Transit should be priority number 1 for mayoral election (assuming the DRL is already gotten the approvals).
I don't think the DRL is as sure of a lock as some people think... It will happen eventually (rather like New your's Second Ave subway), but if it's to happen any time in the next 20 years we really need our politicians to push hard now and not let it up until there are literally shovels in the ground.

Other key notes:

Very clear direction to make Bathurst an exclusive ROW from Bremner to Queen's Quay, with the suggestion the new ROW match w/the south-side configuration of Queen's Quay.

Clear direction to go to exclusive ROW on Lakeshore from Humber Loop to Legion Rd.

East of Parliament mostly hived off to the future.

Direction to Metrolinx that the City is prioritizing a new GO Stn, at Park Lawn.

Preferred alignment of WWLRT west of Dufferin; through Exhibition Place to Lakeshore, and Lakeshore to Colborne before turing up to Queensway.

Assuming A (1 or 2) goes forward, will there be a south exit that directly leads to Bay Street and the new GO bus terminal? It doesn't really make sense to funnel all traffic onto the Yonge platform if some people want to go to ACC or GO Bus.

Edit: Never mind:
New underground pedestrian circulation routes to platforms and connection to 45 Bay

Last edited:
Still no solution for Union station, however, they are now proposing LRT platforms at 45 Bay st as one of the options. I think it's the best compromise.

A1 is certainly an intriguing development, and something people can actually get behind as we (finally) move forward.

Assuming either A (1 or 2) goes forward, will there be a south exit that directly leads to Bay Street and the new GO bus terminal? It doesn't really make sense to funnel all traffic onto the Yonge platform if some people want to go to ACC or GO Bus.

Edit: Never mind:
There has always been a plan for a TTC entrance at Bay and Lakeshore, even under the previous EA.

It's just an entrance, you could go down and board a streetcar at one of the expanded platforms or walk along the platform to get on the subway.

The report is basely the same thing that we talked about last Sept, as well what I reported.

Anything east of Parliament St has always been future until the new Cherry St is built as well building QQE to it. The earliest you would see LRT on Cherry St South is about 2030 with QQE being built between 2025-2040 with LRT at the same time, but may not connect to the Cherry St line until it is built.

The ROW on Lake Shore between Legion and Humber was recommended in the past; extending the 509 to Dufferin St has been around for over a decade, with TTC wanting it in place when the new Dufferin bridge is built; Building the extension from Dufferin St to Colborne is the only option to extend the line west; Having a ROW on Bathurst St from Fort York to QQW surface last year and the best option as well closing a street including Fleet. Building the missing section on QQW to match the current ROW is a must and I pushed for it back at the beginning of the EA is long over due: Nice to see the removal of the Bremmer LRT line, since it made no sense at all.

Even though I don't support the loop expansion, Option A is the best options to go with.

Time to get off the pot and start building these lines. The sooner we do it, better options how riders will travel as well increase the model split.

The ROW on Lake Shore between Legion and Humber was recommended in the past; extending the 509 to Dufferin St has been around for over a decade, with TTC wanting it in place when the new Dufferin bridge is built; Building the extension from Dufferin St to Colborne is the only option to extend the line west;

oof. Almost half a billion dollars ($100 million; 10-year + 300-350 million; 10+ years) is pretty steep for making a new ROW between Dufferin and Colborne Lodge. I never liked it because of the lack of connectivity at King/Queen/Roncy, but that is a STEEP price tag. The fact that the whole thing is over $1.2 billion is already testing the palate, and items like the Union platforms and QQE new ROWS are essential and unavoidable components of that price tag.

They should be proposing an interim solution to run it along the existing tracks from Dufferin Loop, along Dufferin, King and Queensway instead of this new fancy ROW that only directly serves a couple EX facilities (Liberty Grand, BioSteel Centre), four private clubs/venues and the Sunnyside Pavilion. A new ROW can be deferred, if it still makes sense. That brings the 10-year and 10+ year price tags down from $1,165-1395 to $1065-1295, and $815-915 to $515-565, respectively.

Back