News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 203 72.5%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 20 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.7%

• Total voters
TTC is to prepare a report on the people mover on top what already written and they strongly opposed the walkway and the people mover.
Why, it makes no sene what so ever ifWaterfrontt Toronto is so determined to dig their heels in about not wanting to build a proper streetcar line for the rest of it and to not have a proper connection to union station they should be designing and not wasting the TTC and the people of Toronto's money on it.

Have heard there is an in fight in the team to have a final report for next week that various people have asked to have their names remove from the report, even though they wrote various section. Conclusion seem to be the issue, but could be more.

Do you have any insight into what conclusion the report will arrive at?

You can read the TTC's take on it here. http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...r_13/Reports/20_Waterfront_Transit_Update.pdf The TTC staff are clearly none too keen on the funicular idea and it really would be crazy to expect peiole to change from a streetcae to a funicular for the trip to or from Union. The 2010 EA recommended an expansion of the Union streetcar loop and I sincerely hope that is what happens. Eight wasted years!

Nope

It all boils down to money. If the QQE extension takes place on the surface, it would offset the cost of tunneling it and the people mover. The construction of QQE could get underway in 2019 assuming the surface option moves ahead.

Waterfront sold various developers the idea of having LRT for the east section to gain development as far back as 2005 and nothing to show for it 12 years later. A number of developers are moving ahead regardless if an LRT is built or not since they know buyers will buy based on location, not transit.

You can read the TTC's take on it here. http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...r_13/Reports/20_Waterfront_Transit_Update.pdf The TTC staff are clearly none too keen on the funicular idea and it really would be crazy to expect peiole to change from a streetcae to a funicular for the trip to or from Union. The 2010 EA recommended an expansion of the Union streetcar loop and I sincerely hope that is what happens. Eight wasted years!
Its more than like 10 years of wasted time for me when we first started the EA in 2008.

As much as I opposed the Union Loop expansion since it will never be able to handle the ridership down the road, its the best option at this time until we can close Bay St and then put transit on the surface based on the plan I have been pushing since 2008.

Showing someone the city the last few days, they are blown away how far Toronto is behind on building various approved EA's for transit, going back as far as 1992 and some of the dumb ideas that are moving forward now.

Its more than like 10 years of wasted time for me when we first started the EA in 2008.

As much as I opposed the Union Loop expansion since it will never be able to handle the ridership down the road, its the best option at this time until we can close Bay St and then put transit on the surface based on the plan I have been pushing since 2008.

Showing someone the city the last few days, they are blown away how far Toronto is behind on building various approved EA's for transit, going back as far as 1992 and some of the dumb ideas that are moving forward now.
If only they could combine the work with a planned shutdown of the Union Loop - but I don't think there's one in the near future.

If only they could combine the work with a planned shutdown of the Union Loop - but I don't think there's one in the near future.
You can build QQE and the new loop expansion without closing the loop. Once you get most of the major tunneling done up near the portal and to connect the new Union Loop tracks to the existing one, then you do about a 6 month shut down of the loop. You would rebuild the portal as a T that will connect to the new east-west tunnel and connecting the new loop expansion to the existing loop. The earliest I would say we could see it is about 2025.

The agenda for the Executive Committee is out but no sign of the (already late) interim report on Waterfront Transit. Clearly there is disagreement -I suspect mostly about the Union Station loop and funicular nonsense!

The agenda for the Executive Committee is out but no sign of the (already late) interim report on Waterfront Transit. Clearly there is disagreement -I suspect mostly about the Union Station loop and funicular nonsense!
It may go to General Committee of planning first.

According to attachment 5 of the SmartTrack update for Exec Committe:
Waterfront LRT:
• Jan 2018: Report to Executive Committee presents findings of Phase 2 of the Waterfront Transit "Reset", including the complete waterfront transit network plan and directions between Long Branch in the west and Woodbine Avenue in the east
• Report will identify priority projects for completion and longer term initiatives

First it was Nov meeting, then Dec and now Jan, must be a lot of rewriting going on to deal with those who refused to have their name on this report. Going to be interesting to see what this revised report going to look like, as well to see if TTC has their report done on the people mover as well.

Oh what a web of undoing do we weed when trying to hid the real truth when the facts are in front of us.

First it was Nov meeting, then Dec and now Jan, must be a lot of rewriting going on to deal with those who refused to have their name on this report. Going to be interesting to see what this revised report going to look like, as well to see if TTC has their report done on the people mover as well.

Oh what a web of undoing do we weed when trying to hid the real truth when the facts are in front of us.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything that puppet appointed ward councillor does.

AoD

It will be interesting to see what, if anything that puppet appointed ward councillor does.

AoD
If she follows Pam vision, she will go for the loop. If she is in Ford Camp or others, will go for the cheapish system you can get away with, with no thought how it will impact riders in the first place. Its all about building something cheap.

If she follows Pam vision, she will go for the loop. If she is in Ford Camp or others, will go for the cheapish system you can get away with, with no thought how it will impact riders in the first place. Its all about building something cheap.

I quote:

Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong, however, said Troisi got his vote for other reasons, noting city council will soon head into tough budget deliberations.

“We’re going to be asked to make some tough decisions and I would like someone on this council who actually votes the way that I think this council should be going,” Minnan-Wong told council, adding Troisi had assured him she supports Tory’s agenda — “holding the line on taxes”, supporting the Scarborough subway and keeping the Gardiner aloft.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...er-will-be-mcconnell-council-replacement.html

AoD

Reactions: DSC

Back