News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 199 73.2%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
Are you meaning the bit discussed here?

Yes I did! I now realize that my characterization of the Ossington “reconstruction” was a tad misleading.

TY for posting, you're excellent and keeping us all up on the DRP going's on!

There are far too many renders for me to post them all here.

So I will bring a select few forward, including a couple I wish to comment on.........

1634938345280.png

1634938413819.png

1634938450424.png

1634938520627.png

Commentary: Not one of these fruit trees is native to the Toronto area. This is not a huge deal, this isn't an Environmentally Sensitive Area, and to my knowledge none of these species are invasive.

I would merely offer that there are lots of native, flowering, fruit trees.

Among them, Black Cherry, Choke Cherry, Pin Cherry, Serviceberry, Canada Plum

Although, strictly speaking, native only up to Burlington, I'd allow for Paw Paw Tree as well, which ontario's only 'tropical' fruit tree.

This is a Pin Cherry:

1634939097757.png

from: https://www.honey-plants.com/calendar/indiana/pin-cherry/

This is Serviceberry:

1634939193586.png

From: http://plants.connon.ca/Content/Images/Photos/F169-04.jpg

This is Canada Plum:

1634939248100.png

From: http://www.hardyfruittrees.ca/catalog/plum-tree/canada-plum-prunus-nigra-the-best-plum-pollinator

Last edited:
Continuing from the above post:

1634939417227.png

1634939441402.png

1634939485841.png

1634939516948.png

Commentary: Good species list, almost all native (Purple Conelfower is really only native closer to Windsor, but it looks nice, and its hardy. I might add a couple of more choices for additional resilience and interest.

Canada Anemone, Wild Geranium, Woodland Sunflower, New England Aster would give you White, Pink, Yellow and Purple respectively from plants that can hold their own w/o much help.

1634939729274.png

1634939776230.png

1634939804817.png

1634939857964.png

Maybe we will finally see the grass that was supposed to be in phase 1, but shot down by EMS who really hasn't use that ROW since day one.

It would be nice to see it when the ROW for phase 1 and Fleet are to be rebuilt as well St Clair.

If the plan moves forward to move the tracks to the west side of Bathurst in its own ROW as well making the west end of QQW the same as the rest, time for grass.

Yes, lovely to look at but I would rather see some (any) sign of them putting shovels in the ground to build the tracks!
First step to build a temporary walkway and cycle path before starting work on the new road.

Got to fill in the Jarvis slip and start building the new QQE road before can start on the streetcar guideway. Seeing that will be a good sight to see of things to come by 2030.

Wondering what Waterfront going to do about the missing south mouth bridge as well find the money to have it built??

First step to build a temporary walkway and cycle path before starting work on the new road.

Got to fill in the Jarvis slip and start building the new QQE road before can start on the streetcar guideway. Seeing that will be a good sight to see of things to come by 2030.

Wondering what Waterfront going to do about the missing south mouth bridge as well find the money to have it built??
I do not think that there is any plan to fill in the Jarvis Slip - it is used by Redpath. I think you mean the Yonge Slip where there are certainly plans

I do not think that there is any plan to fill in the Jarvis Slip - it is used by Redpath. I think you mean the Yonge Slip where there are certainly plans
That should have been Parliament Slip

I'm torn. I love seeing the greenway buffer filled with grasses and wildflowers. That's how roads should be. But do wince at the thought of it aiding wayward amblers into stepping onto the streetcar tracks. The renders show the streetcar nicely hidden amongst the trees and grass like a lion in the veldt. Well, alternately, so too would pedestrians from a driver's POV. Safe to say "slow orders" are a given.

In November 2020 Council agreed:

"Waterfront Transit Network

City Council direct the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning and the Executive Director, Transit Expansion Office to report back on the recommended schedule and funding requirements for the Union Station to Queens Quay Link and the East Bayfront Light Rail Transit section of the Waterfront Transit Network, including phasing options and an updated business case, as part of an update on Waterfront Transit Network priorities prior to the 2022 Budget process."

We are now in the 2022 budget time but no 'firm' update or options. Though, of course, there was a DRP presentation in October 2021, see above.

Back