News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Sadly, the forum upgrade clobbered a lot of old images, so I can't find good examples of the TTC method.

Here's the best I could find, out of the Spadina rebuild thread

Green ties resting on a concrete (...I think) foundation:

Ties now embedded in concrete, rails still exposed.
kqL5h.jpg

Here is a photo of Detroit's construction; at a first glance, it looks like a similar if not identical technique to what we're seeing in Waterloo Region. Can you elaborate?
TTC place 8-12 inches of concrete base that the ties will sit on first. Depending on the line, conduit is place on the ground with the concrete being pour on it as the base. There a few inches of shims under the ties to level them.

Detroit
This is the top coat further up the road that was built last year as well before the circle that I shot. Major stuff and a bitch to repair over time. I have all kinds of photos for this year and last up on site.
15567193408_4959647b3c_k.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW here's a very similar looking installation in Tucson, AZ.

I'm not an engineer but I would have thought that up here it would be different somehow, considering freeze/thaw and the use of salt on the roads. The "base layer" does look a little thinner than the Waterloo version.

Personally I always liked the old TTC cobblestone approach - hard on cars but very easy to dig up and fix. And the material was reusable.

- Paul

Tucson ties.jpg

Attachments

• Tucson ties.jpg
    Tucson ties.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,219
Here is Cincinnati, Ohio: (Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority) SORTA New LRT Line Being Built this year and is now finish.

They are expecting their first car Oct 30 and about 6 weeks late. The line is schedule to start Sept 2016, but expecting it to be spring. Most of the overhead is in place.
20031860209_cb0cacaaa6_k.jpg

Patch on the left keeps flaring up, it's the roof material that is on fire.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 381
Not the photo update I wanted to provide... :(

IMG_5636.jpg
IMG_5638.jpg
IMG_5640.jpg
IMG_5650.jpg
IMG_5669.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5636.jpg
    IMG_5636.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_5638.jpg
    IMG_5638.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_5640.jpg
    IMG_5640.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 839
  • IMG_5650.jpg
    IMG_5650.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 807
  • IMG_5669.jpg
    IMG_5669.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 810
This is definitely unfortunate, but thank heavens it didn't happen a few years from now, with all the LRT vehicles on site.

Here's an updated video from CTV Kitchener with drone footage of the actual fire (scary!) and the aftermath. It sounds like it thankfully is superficial damage that will be able to be repaired.

http://bit.ly/1LByzSm

funny how the fire chief's vehicle is a tiny Ford Fiesta .... was expecting it to be something larger like an Explorer:eek:

funny how the fire chief's vehicle is a tiny Ford Fiesta .... was expecting it to be something larger like an Explorer:eek:

That car has no markings and only a single magnetic light. The flashing light colour is also difficult to judge, but I have a feeling it's yellow and likely belongs to security, who would be opening up gates and facilitating the response.

How long did the Weber St. grade separation take? With King St. just getting underway, I would think this could quickly end up on the critical path - for construction, anyawy, who knows about vehicle delivery.

Back