News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yeah that’s true. That’s why I’m excited about yesterday’s rain and the incoming storm from tonight to Wednesday morning. Much needed. Though, the forecast totals keep diminishing.

Last edited:
Yeah, the bloody lightning storm was epic. Probably top three most energetic storms I’ve seen in my life. It’s like the heavens opened up.

6BA0830B-890D-4C71-91D4-D83D216E188A.jpeg

Officially our warmest month in history, as well as tied for our longest stretch with temps above biological zero (5°) in history at 90 days.

It’s unclear as to what the final monthly mean will be, but as of yesterday it is 19.9, and with today possibly being the hottest of all summer, the mean may crack past 20 again 🤷🏻‍♂️ we’ll see tomorrow. There’s no way it could fall below the previous record though (19.84).

It’s very likely we’ll exceed 100 days above 5°, and if not, it will be close at a solid 99.

Though it may not be in most people's memories (or before their time), we have experienced these kinds of temperatures before. For sure, those summers were outliers at the time and not a sign of global warming.
This year makes two summers in a row that we have seen above average temperatures. If this is a new trend then we have something to be concerned about in the coming years. i.e more rapid reduction in glaciers, dwindling fresh water supply, crop failures, stunted tree and plant growth etc.

I think this is a really informative graph from the link to see one of the most notable trends, the increased night-time temperatures particularly in the summer:

1661971476380.png

The companion trend is the the frequency of ultra-cold nights in winter (source - link):

1661971750396.png

Lots of big changes in a relatively short period of time. It's not that we haven't had hot summers with warm nights or winters lacking cold, it's the frequency of occurrence that's the big thing - that's the climate v. weather thing. Will be interesting and worrisome to see the physical impacts (e.g. frequency heat waves, air conditioning uptake, plants and ecological impacts to rapid change in growing temperatures etc.) as the trends continue in coming years and decades.

I've become so acclimatized to this nice weather that 20c is starting to feel a little chilly.

If my garden is any indication, it should be a good year for agricultural yields in south / central Alberta - was chatting with some farmers who are expecting a banner crop!

Confirmed: our first month ever with a mean temperature at 20.0° C.

Runaway anthropogenic climate change is for surrre a hoax though.

What are the stats on the number of days above 10° C? Both consecutive and year total. We’ve gotta be close to both records.

Back