News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Apparently they have been all out on the fire remediation in Jasper for the last few years, they say it's the reason 2/3 of the town is still standing.

Looks like a hot weekend for us followed by a ton of rain next week. My grass is already dead, but this should help some of the trees, the Ash behind my house is starting to drop leaves already.

Another hot year has emerged, as expected, despite a cold start in June. As of August 1st and including today's expected forecast, 2024 has had 11 days over 30 degrees so far.

In the past 75 years, only 10 years had 11 or more 30 degree days in Calgary. Of those 10 occasions, 5 have been since 2017 (2017, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024).

Crazy hail! Easily up to golfball sized here in Beddington, and the foliage on the trees paid the price!
20240805_202525.jpg

Also R.I.P. petunias
20240805_200711.jpg

No hail in Point McKay, had no power this morning though. Was quite the storm, rained crazy hard for about 3 hours.
That single storm had more rain (59.6mm) than we had for all of July (46mm). Pretty wild stuff.

From the pictures out of the northern part of the city, I think we will have to rethink what we build houses out of eventually. Too much damage, happening too often - NE and centre-north see property-damage causing hail every 2-3 years at this rate. We really need to start planning to mitigate the damage better and have a more resilent housing stock overall. Insurance is already expensive and these large events are happening so regularly won't make it cheaper.

I was talking last night to a crop insurance adjuster after the hail alert; he said his company didn't have much if any business in the area because the regularity of the hail storms means they just increased premiums to the point that no one bought from them. It's an interesting situation; on paper, farmland around here is productive, but if it can't be insured because of regular wipeouts does that mean it's no longer economically viable, even if the crops will grow and won't get wiped out most years?

That single storm had more rain (59.6mm) than we had for all of July (46mm). Pretty wild stuff.

From the pictures out of the northern part of the city, I think we will have to rethink what we build houses out of eventually. Too much damage, happening too often - NE and centre-north see property-damage causing hail every 2-3 years at this rate. We really need to start planning to mitigate the damage better and have a more resilent housing stock overall. Insurance is already expensive and these large events are happening so regularly won't make it cheaper.
Our old 78-79 built house still has the original aluminum siding. Vinyl siding should be banned from being sold in Alberta!!

Our old 78-79 built house still has the original aluminum siding. Vinyl siding should be banned from being sold in Alberta!!
My place in marda loop area has Vinyl siding, original since 1992 and has never had any hail damage. I guess we just don't get the big hail in this area. I kind of wish we would, I would like some new siding lol

My place in marda loop area has Vinyl siding, original since 1992 and has never had any hail damage. I guess we just don't get the big hail in this area. I kind of wish we would, I would like some new siding lol
Most insurance companies pro-rate roofs and siding. For example, if they assume the siding has a 25 year life and the siding is 22 years old, they would only payout 3/25 of the replacement cost.

Most insurance companies pro-rate roofs and siding. For example, if they assume the siding has a 25 year life and the siding is 22 years old, they would only payout 3/25 of the replacement cost.
This is not true. I made a hail claim last year on 23 year old siding. I did not get 3/25 of the replacement cost. All the siding was replaced for the out of pocket cost of the deductible.

Thats only if you are taking a cash payout. Same as if your 50 year old house burned down and you take a cash payout instead of rebuidling. You would get the value of the home less the age and condition based depreciation. You can take that option or have them rebuild the house like-for-like

Back