News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

No one here knows you, or anything about you other that what you may have revealed, and most won’t have paid any attention As we’re all busy with our own lives. It thus seems a little pretentious to assume that anyone of UT should or would know anything about your personal experience.

Go to bed, you're missing the intent. Again. (I think you may do this when tired).

I was just saying that there's a lot to be said for messing up and learning from that. Oh, wait, that's exactly what I said. Good night, sleepyhead.

Thing is Sunrise, learning life lessons is great and many people become far better people struggling on their own.

However the unaffordability of housing these days, I think that assumption from the past is gone.

Like in the 1990s you could rent a nice place for 500 bucks a month, that is different.

Thing is Sunrise, learning life lessons is great and many people become far better people struggling on their own.

However the unaffordability of housing these days, I think that assumption from the past is gone.

Like in the 1990s you could rent a nice place for 500 bucks a month, that is different.

Yeah, the prices are indeed ridiculous in Toronto.

I've intermittently struggled with the cost of rent until very recently when my salary has gotten to pretty decent middle class levels and I find I have enough money to be comfortable.

It's deffo not a joke out there. If you can save tonnes of loot whilst living with your parents, it's a good strategy for financial independence. I plan on semi-retiring at 45 but if I hadn't had moved out at 18, I would have been able to semi-retire by age 30.

I was just always very independent-minded and am kind of the black sheep of the family so I just had to get out ASAP. ;)

Yeah, the prices are indeed ridiculous in Toronto.
I was fortunate to be able to buy in Toronto in the 1990s. If I was a young adult today I would move away from the GTA. We have a big country. As a British-born Canuck, I might have used my pre-Brexit status to move somewhere else entirely in the EU. I’ll be 49 in a few months and I sometimes still think of fleeing to different places, wander list is hitting me.

I was fortunate to be able to buy in Toronto in the 1990s. If I was a young adult today I would move away from the GTA. We have a big country. As a British-born Canuck, I might have used my pre-Brexit status to move somewhere else entirely in the EU. I’ll be 49 in a few months and I sometimes still think of fleeing to different places, wander list is hitting me.

To be honest, as much as I love this city, having grown up here and basically lived here my whole life with brief stints in Europe and Ottawa....I've wanted to leave for at least a couple of years now. The thing keeping me here? My damn job.....Toronto is just the Canadian epicentre for the type of work I do and if I want to achieve my goal of early retirement/financial independence, I need to stay here for the time being.

Speaking of the EU, I'm thinking of moving to Spain. You're British....you'll find your people there as well. ;)

To be honest, as much as I love this city, having grown up here and basically lived here my whole life with brief stints in Europe and Ottawa....I've wanted to leave for at least a couple of years now. The thing keeping me here? My damn job.....Toronto is just the Canadian epicentre for the type of work I do and if I want to achieve my goal of early retirement/financial independence, I need to stay here for the time being.

Speaking of the EU, I'm thinking of moving to Spain. You're British....you'll find your people there as well. ;)

I've lived in Toronto my whole life as well, and I've become very disillusioned with this city. It's very difficult to envision a future here maintaining even the lifestyle standard of the previous generation. My parents came here from Europe and bought their huge bungalow in central Etobicoke for $ 25,000 in the 60's. It's now worth north of $ 2 million, which is insane. What hope is there to keep up in this kind of rat race? It's like a car hopelessly spinning its wheels in the muck, incapable of progressing. How can one achieve anything under such stifling circumstances? How can one maintain motivation when goals move further out of reach with every year rather than closer through the scourge of rent and real estate price increases that outstrip inflation and wage increases many times over? This is not the life evolution that was sold to us in the school system growing up in the 80's and 90's.

I also luckily have EU citizenship, so the idea of moving to Europe is an option that has greatly appealed to me for many years now...

Last edited:
Lol my parents have a 5 bedroom house they bought for 250k in the 1990s.

Now it sounds rather bad but reality is if I move out I'm guaranteed to be held back 10 years financially.

Born and raised in Toronto but for some reason had no intention of staying (my dad was raised on a farm - perhaps it's genetic?). I left in the early '70s and the closest I got back was Aurora for a few years. I was lucky enough to have a career that enabled me to live rurally/remotely but I do appreciate that many don't have that as a reasonable option with employment.

I have a 28 year old nephew who works in the tech sector, him and his girlfriend were sick of the high rents and the jobs that pay peanuts in Toronto, so they moved to the Pittsburgh area a few years ago Lots of good paying skilled jobs down there that need filling. Now he has a big 2800 sq ft house, an excellent paying job, and he's not even 30. No way he could have done that in Toronto.

I have a 28 year old nephew who works in the tech sector, him and his girlfriend were sick of the high rents and the jobs that pay peanuts in Toronto, so they moved to the Pittsburgh area a few years ago
Now that earns respect. For hundreds of years those with skills or ambition have picked themselves up and moved to where they hope to find greener pastures. Why would anyone stay in Toronto when there’s a better life elsewhere? Family perhaps? No, your parents or grandparents didn’t let the family ties or obligations stop them. My parents left a downtrodden UK in the 1970s, leaving family and career ties behind. That’s what I’d do today if I had marketable and transferable skills that were not paying me a living wage in Toronto. I expect my own children will leave if Toronto, Ontario or even Canada doesn’t have a place for them. It’s a big world.

Lol my parents have a 5 bedroom house they bought for 250k in the 1990s.

Now it sounds rather bad but reality is if I move out I'm guaranteed to be held back 10 years financially.

Yeah, I actually can't quite imagine how rough it might be for someone like yourself.

I moved out young and have been working the same job for 20 years and have been lucky because my wages have kept up with rent inflation and are even surpassing it now, finally. (As in, the percentage of my income dedicated to the cost of housing has kept steady and started going down almost two years ago). But I've been lucky af and have been at the same thing for two decades. It's a lot of hard work and is pretty tedious for long stretches of time.

Starting out now? I don't even want to think about it, especially given how demented I was in my 20s.

I hope you're saving to become financially independent (meaning not reliant on a job to live)! Do it up! Housing is already almost everyone's single biggest cost and if you're saving heaps of money there you're in a very good position. You could even (or could have) fully retire[d] by 30!!! ( I shit you not, it's a thing).

I have a friend who moved to Western Australia and can't afford to move back to Toronto because her wages here would make her homeless or forced to live in a literal shithole. Or she'd end up having to move back in with her parents....in her mid-30s. That's rough.

PS: I should add that my wages have kept up with cost of housing and surpassed it but only insofar as rents are concerned (and even that is a stretch as I'm not able to afford to live where I'd like to) but purchase prices? Never. I gave up on even planning on buying anything ever a long time ago. It's just financially foolish.

Born and raised in Toronto but for some reason had no intention of staying (my dad was raised on a farm - perhaps it's genetic?). I left in the early '70s and the closest I got back was Aurora for a few years. I was lucky enough to have a career that enabled me to live rurally/remotely but I do appreciate that many don't have that as a reasonable option with employment.

I'm super interested in moving to a farm. I can't believe I'm saying this after moaning about living on one during my mid- to late-teenage years and what a drag it was then. ?

I'm super interested in moving to a farm. I can't believe I'm saying this after moaning about living on one during my mid- to late-teenage years and what a drag it was then. ?

I actually spent two summers as a hand on one in my mid-teens and loved it. It must have festered for several years because we ended up buying a small farm in my early 50s to accommodate our daughter's horse addiction. It was a lot of work but I loved every minute of it.

To be honest, your reaction is probably not unusual; most teenagers think just about everything is a drag.

Not directly related, but a former boss, upper management in the government, had a soliloquy on why he loved cutting grass on the weekend over his Mon-Fri job (he had a large property and it would take him hours) - when you're cutting grass, you can look behind you and actually see what you have accomplished.

I actually spent two summers as a hand on one in my mid-teens and loved it. It must have festered for several years because we ended up buying a small farm in my early 50s to accommodate our daughter's horse addiction. It was a lot of work but I loved every minute of it.

Sounds awesome! You legit bought a farm just because your daughter rides horses?

To be honest, your reaction is probably not unusual; most teenagers think just about everything is a drag.

Well, I'm sure my severe depression didn't help.?
Those were the days though.....I had it super good (except for the brain thing). Young people are stupid for the most part....don't know how good they have it. ;)

Not directly related, but a former boss, upper management in the government, had a soliloquy on why he loved cutting grass on the weekend over his Mon-Fri job (he had a large property and it would take him hours) - when you're cutting grass, you can look behind you and actually see what you have accomplished.

Yeah, that's sort of what I like about my job...the tangible results make it easy to stay sane on difficult/ridiculous/banal/boring/shit projects.

Back