News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

All Ontario Health pamphlets that were handed out in the past couple of months said that the vaccine would be available in November to everyone.

There's a big difference between Nov. 1st and Nov. 30th. The fact remains that the supposed "action plan" should have emphasized an early availibility of the vaccine, especially considering the 10 day immunity lag. Vaccinations are preventative, so administering them in the midst of the shit-storm isn't representative of sound planning. If there was any determination or urgency in the plan, you likely would have seen multiple vaccine suppliers (hell, GSK shipped a bunch overseas because there was no pressure to bottle it) or at least a lot more ordered.

The people who were supposed to get the vaccine early was people who are high risk. Unfortunately, people didn't listen to this, because the media is making this out to be the plague. So everyone is freaking out and getting these flu shots, even when they are perfectly healthy. This leaves the people who have compromised immune systems without a shot, which is unfortunate for them. If only the idiots had waited their turn, we would be okay.

I agree that those people are dipshits, but their predictable actions should have been digested as a significant risk in the action plan. Public health agencies naively predicted that they'd have the same turnout for the H1N1 shot as they have annually for the seasonal flu shot.

Vaccinating the healthy public is an important step in minimizing the risk of mutation in the virus.

All Ontario Health pamphlets that were handed out in the past couple of months said that the vaccine would be available in November to everyone.

The people who were supposed to get the vaccine early was people who are high risk. Unfortunately, people didn't listen to this, because the media is making this out to be the plague. So everyone is freaking out and getting these flu shots, even when they are perfectly healthy. This leaves the people who have compromised immune systems without a shot, which is unfortunate for them. If only the idiots had waited their turn, we would be okay.

The distribution methods and production shortages are the real problem with getting the H1N1 vaccine into people's arms. I phoned my GP on Oct. 28th, his secretary confirmed the regular influenza vaccine was in and I got my shot on the 29th as I do ever year. The H1N1 vaccine should have been just as easy to obtain, but limited to a GP's discretion given the limited supplies along with mass vaccination clinics which screen people such as they are doing. The shortage of the vaccine was unforeseen, the distribution methods are what should really be questioned.
My roommate came home from work this afternoon sick as all hell with the flu and I'm freaking out that it's H1N1.

My roommate came home from work this afternoon sick as all hell with the flu and I'm freaking out that it's H1N1.

Update (if anyone's interested)

My roommate did indeed get H1N1, he got slammed on Tuesday and Wednesday. He was unable to get out of bed for two days; he was as helpless as a baby. I had to help him to the bathroom & back, in the shower to help bring his temperature down and literally feed him ginger ale through a straw and chicken noodle soup to keep fluids in him. Yesterday and today he's out of bed but is still weak and very tired but he can tend to himself now. He says he's never felt anything like it in his 36 years.
Wednesday night I felt it come on despite the fact that we both wore MedPro respirator masks and Purelled our hands every time we came in contact with each other. I got squeezed into an appointment with my GP today at 4 and sure enough, I've got it too. I've been alternating between wet cough/dry cough, sore throat, low energy and head & body aches but I've been able to function. My GP wrote me a script should I enter phase 2 with a bad cough (something that starts with a "Z", I can't read his writing) and recommended 10,000 IU of Vitamin D for 5 days. He cautioned that if there's any problem in the next 7 or so days with any difficulty breathing or shortness of breath he said head to the nearest emergency ward, sit, wait and don't leave until I've been seen. Being as I'm mobile I'm wearing a respirator mask when I leave my apartment then Purell my hands before I leave.

Hopefully we'll both be OK and are on the road to recovery with no 2nd stage. So far, I've been somewhat lucky with this, but not my roommate.

The moral of all of this is I hope our government fixes the problems that lead to the supply shortage and distribution methods. This should never have had to happen with a vaccine out there.

I came in contact with somebody with H1N1 and several days later, I got a mild flu. My immune system seems to be fighting it off well. I either don't have H1N1 and just caught a flu separately or it's true what they say about the risk groups being the young or the very old. I'm 30.

I was hoping to keep my contact with people very limited until I got vaccinated (pretty easy since I live alone and work mostly from home), but the availability of the vaccine to general public is still yet to come. This is not looking good on our Government.

Sorry to hear about your roommate dt... that sounds like a horrifying experience to go through. Good on you for taking care of him despite the --now justified-- risk of getting it yourself.

The moral of all of this is I hope our government fixes the problems that lead to the supply shortage and distribution methods. This should never have had to happen with a vaccine out there.

The good news, is that you're both now immune to H1N1. You don't need the vaccine.

Last edited:
What is dumb is that the media is painting the H1N1 situation as problem solved... hardly any line ups. However, they still are taking priority groups! The problem isn't solved until they say everyone can come and get their shots. If this was a more serious disease 80% of the population might be dead right now... although the media might paint that as problem solved... nobody left to vaccinate.

What is dumb is that the media is painting the H1N1 situation as problem solved... hardly any line ups. However, they still are taking priority groups! The problem isn't solved until they say everyone can come and get their shots. If this was a more serious disease 80% of the population might be dead right now... although the media might paint that as problem solved... nobody left to vaccinate.

Agreed. Let's hope all the mistakes and misinformation here regarding H1N1 production, distribution and the inoculation mess will be investigated, studied and new, aggressive protocols written.

I'm one of those people who puts a good deal of trust in his government. I'm confident that there will be many lessons learned during this pandemic in preparation for the big one to come.

My roommate went back to work today, still tired but anxious to get back. I'm about 95% there, mostly low energy and a cough that creeps up here and there but doing great overall. Tomorrow (Thurs.) is my last day of possibly dropping into stage 2, which I'm confident isn't going to happen.

I just got the shot.....in and out of Metro Hall in about 30 minutes...very civilized and very organized!

Me too. Went at noon - took a bit longer. Saw several workmates there.

Frightfully nice nurses.

Forgot to ask for a lollipop, though.

Me too. Went at noon - took a bit longer. Saw several workmates there.

Frightfully nice nurses.

Forgot to ask for a lollipop, though.

I worked on the theory that downtown clinics would be busiest during the day....then when all the commuters/office workers went home they would be less busy......for once, one of my theories seemed to work!

I too was disappointed not to get a lollipop!

Ex-Ontario health ministers, before and after H1N1
2595335033_57492f91d9.jpg

family_guy_ipecac.jpg
250px-Adam_West_on_Family_Guy.png

I'm not getting the flu shot or H1N1 shot.

I'm not really opposed, but I much prefer to simply take zinc, vitamin D, E, omega 3, etc., each day. A pretty simple way to keep your immune system healthy in a natural way.

Natural isn't always the answer but I like knowing that I'm using vitamins because everything you put in your body is going to have some type of effect/ possibility for complications or side effects. That's just my anxious perspective, but I think we all agree that what goes into your body is going to affect it.

And in addition to boosting your immune system quite a bit, vitamins and supplements also do alot of things that vaccines don't-- such as make your skin and hair look and feel better. :D

And in addition to boosting your immune system quite a bit, vitamins and supplements also do alot of things that vaccines don't-- such as make your skin and hair look and feel better. :D

Yes, but they don't stop polio and smallpox. Vaccines did that. Give it up for the power of vaccination!

Back