• The end of the world

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • A change in human consciousness or society

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Nothing

Votes: 50 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Mayan Calender will start the 14th b'ak'tun, nothing will happen, the Mayan long count calender still has b'ak'tun 14-20 before it runs out. I doubt anything will happen, There will be no cataclysmic alignment of the planets, no planet "X" smashing into the earth and no major tectonic/volcanic event to end civilization. I also highly doubt man will undergo some social transformation, we as a species are too set in our ways, too xenophobic and too hostile to one another for a change to happen (although I'd love to see fundamental shift in our society). I just think 11:11 UTC on Dec 21, 2012 will pass like any other time and nothing will happen.

(note 1 b'ak'tun = 394.3 years)

Last edited:
If "anything" happens in 2012 it certainly won't be a product of Mayan prediction. And as for xenophobia, the Mayans were far more xenophobic and hostile than you average Westerner is today.

Hundreds of end-of-the-world predictions have come and gone without any of the desired results. Virtually every one of them is based on a belief that we are deserving of punishment for being bad (presumptions of xenophbia included).

Rather than relying on any presumed Mayan predictions, such a belief in the end of the world is deeply founded on a segment of Christian beliefs regarding the punishment of all humanity for some presumed lengthy set of sins.

Rather than relying on any presumed Mayan predictions, such a belief in the end of the world is deeply founded on a segment of Christian beliefs regarding the punishment of all humanity for some presumed lengthy set of sins.

Waiting for Armageddon Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdbVzchLz3E

looks like an interesting film.

Back