News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The first two that came to mind were Stompin Tom's "The Hockey Song" and "American Women." Both encapsulate two of Canada's greatest fascinations and you'd be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't heard either.

I think it will be interesting to see what people will have to say in the future about anything created from 2000 to now. While I can't think of anything quintessentially Canadian, our music scene is so huge right now that no one song or band stands out in the way the Guess Who, or Gordon Lightfoot did back then. I don't know if I hear Canadiana in much of our stuff today, but I hear a lot of songs that represent regions and localities all the time.

The first two that came to mind were Stompin Tom's "The Hockey Song" and "American Women." Both encapsulate two of Canada's greatest fascinations and you'd be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't heard either.

its American Woman. somehow i don't think that a song written about the American involvement in the Vietnam War and the unrest of the 1960's could seriously be thought to represent Canada in the 21st century. its a little be um, dated in its approach don't think? also, it does seem a little er, retro in its relationship to women, doncha think?

American woman, stay away from me
American woman, mama let me be
Don’t come hangin’ around my door
I don’t wanna see your face no more
I got more important things to do
Than spend my time growin’ old with you
Now woman, I said stay away,
American woman, listen what I say.

also, The Hockey Song is a bit hard to take, for those Canadians who hate hockey. and there are many.

obviously "women" was a typo. Also, I think there's more to it than just unrest of the 60s and US in Vietnam. It speaks greatly to Canada's quest for an independent existance, without the need to cater to someone else's dreams and visions. To say we're not still doing that would be to ignore just about everything since NAFTA. If you want to do so then go for it, I guess.

So, since you're after a song that captures 21st century Canada. Would you prefer we go with some sort of Nickleback hick anthem ("I like your pants around your feet"), or the awesome hey hey you you of Avril?

Canada already has enough identity issues, never mind trying to find a song that represents its 21st century state. Perhaps we should go with something like 21st Century Living by Matthew Good then?

Canada already has enough identity issues, never mind trying to find a song that represents its 21st century state. Perhaps we should go with something like 21st Century Living by Matthew Good then?
Great song, not really specific to Canada though.

also, The Hockey Song is a bit hard to take, for those Canadians who hate hockey. and there are many.
It's also hard to take for those Canadians who hate terrible music...

One could say it (MG's 21st Century Living) says a lot about Canada. I guess it depends how you view the average citizen of this country.

Also, I didn't have a chance to mention this earlier, but simply because people don't like hockey doesn't mean they can't recognize a song, or recognize the importance of the sport in Canadiana. Whether people like hockey or not, it unites people more than anything. February 24th 2002 is probably one of the few days in Canadian history where the majority of people were doing the exact same thing. Stompin Tom's song reflects the love we have for the sport.

February 24th 2002 is probably one of the few days in Canadian history where the majority of people were doing the exact same thing. Stompin Tom's song reflects the love we have for the sport.

what happened on Feb 24, 2002? i have absolutely no idea.

Except Stompin Tom's Hockey Song is pure dreck. Sorry to say it, but it is. You can't beat lyrics such as:

"Oh the good ole hockey game is the best game you can name
And the best game you can name is the good ole hockey game"

"3rd period: last game in the playoffs, too..."

I guess the American contemporary equivalent was CW McCall's "Convoy"

I'll duck to avoid the tomatoes.

thedeepend: is that because you just enjoy being difficult? Or are you one of those people who hate hockey? maybe you can't skate and just feel left out? It's understandable. Here's a story since your dungeon and dragon game must have ran long that day:

February 24th 2002 is the day Canada won the gold medal at the Olympics in Men's Hockey versus the Americans. It ended a 50 year drought. 10.5million people watched the medal ceremony, while uncountable millions more watched from parties, arenas, bars, restaurants, etc. Images of downtown Toronto shown during the game showed a ghost-town. Afterwards, people swarmed streets all over Canada. It was quite the day in Canadian history, and I haven't experience anything like it in the 23 years I've lived.

thedeepend: is that because you just enjoy being difficult? Or are you one of those people who hate hockey? maybe you can't skate and just feel left out? It's understandable. Here's a story since your dungeon and dragon game must have ran long that day:

February 24th 2002 is the day Canada won the gold medal at the Olympics in Men's Hockey versus the Americans. It ended a 50 year drought. 10.5million people watched the medal ceremony, while uncountable millions more watched from parties, arenas, bars, restaurants, etc. Images of downtown Toronto shown during the game showed a ghost-town. Afterwards, people swarmed streets all over Canada. It was quite the day in Canadian history, and I haven't experience anything like it in the 23 years I've lived.

i've never played a computer game in my life. i grew up listening to the Stooges, the Velvet Underground, David Bowie, Roxy Music, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The New York Dolls, Marvin Gaye, Neil Young, James Brown, surrounded by art and books and dreaming of London and New York. i have a collection of several thousand albums. and yes, as a matter of fact i do hate hockey. i just think its incredibly dull, compared to the world of ideas, art and music.

Wow, reading this thread on Canadiana legends..... brings back memories (or the lack of them) :eek:

I can remember going to a Stompin Tom concert when I was living in PEI (I don't remember much).

As far as connections to musical "greatness" (Canadian style). I grew up on the same street as 2 of the members of Tragically Hip, went to the same High School, and quite honestly remember none of them (although we were a couple years difference). Maybe it is just that I am more awed by Jazz greats :eek:

Hmm, if you're looking for a day in which Canada was truly united in hockey glory, Henderson's goal on September 28, 1972 to beat the Soviets would have been a better choice. That series carried the added weight of Cold War politics, which made it about more than hockey. But I wasn't alive then either, so I see why you picked the latter, which was fun but solely about sports (and I doubt most Americans even remember it, which dampens the meaning for me).

For the record, I love hockey and I love music, but it is difficult to argue that "The Hockey Song" is the best song ever composed by a Canadian. Sure it carries some (pop)-cultural significance and has a corny charm, but really... come on. It has next to zero artistic sophistication. And a truly great song should be universal, something that can be appreciated by everyone, not just Canadians or Canadian hockey fans. Play it for a Brit or a Mongolian and you'd get nothing but blank stares.

"Helpless" by Neil Young/CSNY as mentioned above probably has my vote. The Hip is probably best at effectively name-dropping Canadiana than any other band ("Wheat Kings" captures both small town life and Canadian hatred of injustice nicely) but they are a somewhat divisive group, with as many haters as lovers. Same with Nickleback, but even moreso because I personally dislike them.

Other more obscure contenders might be Hayden (how 'bout his excellent b-side called "Neil Young Song", a song by a Canadian musician about another Canadian musician!) or something by the Rheos ("Bad Time to be Poor?") or Grapes of Wrath ("Backward Town?") or Lowest of the Low ("Rosy and Grey?")...

Back