News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think the only song in this thread I recognize is Four Strong Winds, and that only from elementary school. Oh I recognize the Nickelback and Avril songs though.

Ugh, Avril.... there is new song by her on the radio and I find the lyrics to be just appalling. Don't artists these days know anything about subtlety? Geez...

Music these days is a far cry from 10-15 years ago. IMO, most of the best Canadian music of all time comes from 90's.

Wow. Two pages and nobody has yet to mention she-who-must-not-be named. (And I'm not talking about Lavigne.)

I'm actually impressed. Most artists mentioned here actually have a more "Canadianness" than merely qualifying for Can-Con for radio play, like (cough, cough, Nickleback or ahem, you know which lady I'm thinking of, for the Adult Cheesy Rock "workday variety" stations).

Music these days is a far cry from 10-15 years ago. IMO, most of the best Canadian music of all time comes from 90's.

AMANDA MARSHALL

Sunday Morning After

I woke up with a killer hangover
Hope it was worth all this pain
(I'd do it all over again)
By the time the party was over
Tequila was my claim to fame
(I couldn't remember my name)

I was dancing with Jake when I last saw my keys
That was my first mistake
'Cause, what happened to me?
I look down at my arm, baby
And something's lookin' back at me
And I cannot believe it

CHORUS:
Oh my God!-- I woke up with a snake tattoo
Oh my God!-- and I think that my tongue's pierced, too
Oh my God!-- Oh my God!
It's the Sunday morning after
And baby, who the hell are you?

I remember yelling, "Hey, DJ!"
"Jack the volume, I love this song!"
(And then it all gets hazy)
And my clothes are selling on e-bay
And I don't know what I'm gonna put on
(Where were my friends to save me?)

I blacked out I came to
And it's all such a blur
Had a blast, I assume
But I'm really not sure
Exactly where am I now, baby?
Wake up and tell me your name
'Cause this is insane

CHORUS

Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!
My alter ego took over and took me on a fantasy ride
You can take me anywhere twice
But the second time will be to apologize

CHORUS x 2

Where am I...?, What am I...?, Who am I...?, How am I...?,
How did I...?...
2x

Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!
My alter ego took over and took me on a fantasy ride

and the Juno for lyrical clunker of the year goes to....

Wow. Two pages and nobody has yet to mention she-who-must-not-be named. (And I'm not talking about Lavigne.)

I'm actually impressed. Most artists mentioned here actually have a more "Canadianness" than merely qualifying for Can-Con for radio play, like (cough, cough, Nickleback or ahem, you know which lady I'm thinking of, for the Adult Cheesy Rock "workday variety" stations).

would that be...

celine2.jpg

speaking of Picklehack this always cheers me up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7F3O6WYfHQ&feature=related

You can't blame Cancon rules for Nickelback! They got big in the States before they got big here.

Pound for pound, the music we currently put out is probably among the best anywhere, so if anything's legendary it's our scene.

Of course, nobody is going to nominate Broken Social Scene's "Stars and Sons", Malajube's "Montreal -40 C", Patrick Watson's "Luscious Life", Chad VanGaalen's "Flower Gardens" or Buck 65's "Kennedy Killed the Hat" as a legendary Canadian song.

But then again, those guys are not going to play Parliament Hill on Canada Day or entertain the kiddies on Much on Demand, either.

^On that note, Jason, I swear that all the radio stations in Toronto have merged into a single one that plays endless soft rock/Rihanna/Gwen Stefani.

Back