News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Will the Liberals win every seat in Toronto again?

• Yes

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 51.3%

• Total voters
If Vuong were to step down it would set a dangerous precedent by creating an open invitation to manufacture bogus charges against political opponents in future elections.

No, it does not.

First of all, we do not know if these were "bogus charges." Just that the Crown decided not to proceed after several months after the charge. There are several reasons why they would do so, which we can only speculate on.

Second of all, this came out of the Liberals not vetting the candidate sufficiently, or the candidate intentionally withholding information from both the party and from his employer. That's where the trouble really came. Had he been honest, perhaps the Liberals would not have confirmed his hasty nomination, but it wouldn't have hit the news.

Thirdly, the lawsuit against him by a former business partner is another red flag. There isn't just one red flag here.

Finally, there are already precedents. Steve Paiken was accused of sexual assault by Sarah Thompson. He stepped back while TVO did their due diligence, and those accusations were bogus, so he returned to work without any other incident. As for Patrick Brown, he quickly bounced back from allegations of inappropriate behaviour, which were since forgotten. Brown was never charged.

No, it does not.

First of all, we do not know if these were "bogus charges." Just that the Crown decided not to proceed after several months after the charge. There are several reasons why they would do so, which we can only speculate on.

Second of all, this came out of the Liberals not vetting the candidate sufficiently, or the candidate intentionally withholding information from both the party and from his employer. That's where the trouble really came. Had he been honest, perhaps the Liberals would not have confirmed his hasty nomination, but it wouldn't have hit the news.

Thirdly, the lawsuit against him by a former business partner is another red flag. There isn't just one red flag here.

Finally, there are already precedents. Steve Paiken was accused of sexual assault by Sarah Thompson. He stepped back while TVO did their due diligence, and those accusations were bogus, so he returned to work without any other incident. As for Patrick Brown, he quickly bounced back from allegations of inappropriate behaviour, which were since forgotten. Brown was never charged.
You're right we don't know that these charges were unfounded. We also don't know that the Libs didn't know about the charges. The Star quoted the selection committee as saying they were disappointed that Vuong wasn't forthcoming, but isn't it part of the committee's job to vet the candidate properly? I'm not convinced it is just clumsiness. The fact that Vaughan himself was on the committee and now swears they didn't know is just too convenient. I don't think Vuong should resign. He should go to Ottawa and be independent. As for the Star's editorial, I'm sure they will give themselves another award for how terribly terribly noble and upstanding they are, not much competion after they closed down all those local newspapers. I'm not taking advice from the Star on how to "do the right thing".

I totally forgot about the first lawsuit over his mask business.

Vuong always gave off the vibe of a flashy, Type A, career-driven guy, but not many people have a police charge and lawsuit under their belt by age 31. Fishy stuff.

The Liberal vote in Spadina-Fort York dropped from 34,000 for Vaughan to 19,000 and the NDP grew from 12,000 to 16,500. Even with the leakage Vuong still squeaked through, demonstrating the strength of the Liberal brand in Toronto.

Bravo seems like a strong candidate, but she has had so many runs for elected office, and always come up short........

No reflection on her........but maybe this isn't gonna happen for her......

(she sure got close)

In terms of efforts as an individual riding candidate, I'd say Bravo should've had the edge over Dzerowicz for community outreach on topics such as equality and affordable housing.

Dzerowicz gets a considerable boost for being a background member of #TeamTrudeau, but to be honest as a lifelong resident of Davenport I'm still not sure of what she's done. But Liberal lifers in the riding, my parents included, will be making it a mission to ensure they get this seat to try staying in office.

Bravo has at least been a strong advocate for increased housing options and affordability, and overall has developed a better bond with the younger crowd in the community.

Last edited:
In terms of efforts as an individual riding candidate, I'd say Bravo should've had the edge over Dzerowicz for community outreach on topics such as equality and affordable housing.

Dzerowicz gets a considerable boost for being a background member of #TeamTrudeau, but to be honest as a lifelong resident of Davenport I'm still not sure of what she's done. But Liberal lifers in the riding, my parents included, will be making it a mission to ensure they get this seat to try staying in office.

Bravo has at least been a strong advocate for increased housing options and affordable, and overall has developed a better bond with the younger crowd in the community.

That's my sense too. Bravo had a better organization and ground game, but the reverence for the Trudeau family among first generation Italians and Portuguese was just too much to overcome. I hope she gives it another go.

Vuong always gave off the vibe of a flashy, Type A, career-driven guy, but not many people have a police charge and lawsuit under their belt by age 31. Fishy stuff.
If he'd disclosed to the PLC the police charge and lawsuit in his application he might have still been chosen as the Liberal candidate. It was a dropped charge, lots of people can be charged with offenses and end up not convicted. Me-too seems to have forever killed off the presumption of innocence. Heck, we had the the Former attorney general of Ontario kill a cyclist by driving him into a tree, and his life carried on after the charges were dropped. But charge aside, it's the dishonestly by omission that shows us Vuong's true character.

I've joked that there are ridings that would vote for a rabid skunk if it ran under the CPC or Liberal banner. We know for a fact that it isn't just a joke.

And yes, it was the deceit that did him in. He also won't be able to hide behind these mealy-mouthed statements forever.

I've joked that there are ridings that would vote for a rabid skunk if it ran under the CPC or Liberal banner. We know for a fact that it isn't just a joke.
Elizabeth Wettlaufer or Karla Homolka could run for the LPC in my riding of Toronto Centre and still win hands down.

The only thing I find ironic is how Adam Vaughan kept silent and told his supporters to vote Liberal after the allegations became public, hoping that this dud would somehow do the right thing for the party. They couldn’t have their mulligan if the NDP’s Norman Di Pasquale won.

And how Vuong called their bluff.

He’ll sit in a lonely corner of the HoC, he won’t be able to hire good staff, and he won’t be working with anyone. But he sure owned the Libs.

And how Vuong called their bluff. He’ll sit in a lonely corner of the HoC, he won’t be able to hire good staff, and he won’t be working with anyone. But he sure owned the Libs.
Now‘s his time to bargain. Call the LPC and ask what they’ll offer for him to step down. Otherwise, wait to see who replaced Paul and offer to represent the GPC.

Vuong does not appear to have done anything worse than not disclose a criminal charge that was dropped. He needs some serious PR and a Woke workover and he may become less untouchable. And if Vuong’s career is irrevocably scuppered he needs to forget the passive approach and sue his accuser for defamation and recovery of lost future income.

Last edited:

Back