News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Don't people just call in Dundas Square already? We've been calling it that since they built it. Is it just my peer group that shortens the name?

Last edited:
Everyone in my group used to call it Dundas Square, now it's just the AMC. (e.g.; we'll set a meeting place of "outside the AMC, by the fountains"

Everyone in my group used to call it Dundas Square, now it's just the AMC. (e.g.; we'll set a meeting place of "outside the AMC, by the fountains"

Makes sense as that's mainly what the square is known for so far. Maybe when City TV is up and running and and starts to broadcast 'Live, from Dundas Square' the space will take on more of its own identity independent of what surrounds it? I imagine that over time it will come to be known as the hub of downtown at the heart of the Eaton Centre, AMC and City TV.

What was his "real" contribution?

I think of Trudeau as one of Canada's greatest, if not the greatest, leader. As a gay man, I can't help but admire the fact that it was his sheer force of will that decriminalized homosexuality in 1969 (most of the Liberal cabinet did not want to go that route) and that gave us the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in 1982 (I can't think of another PM who would have pushed that through given the circumstances of the time). It's ultimately because of Trudeau that I enjoy full civil rights in this country and I was able to get married in 2007. I can't even begin to describe the admiration and respect I have for the man. And although I have only mentioned the gay thing, the litany of his accomplishments is unparalleled - and yes, some of them remain controversial. Any leader who oversees the transformation of a country is going to be controversial by definition.

Don't forget immigration. Anyone who immigrated here during that era is probably a huge Trudeau fan. I am the child of two, and so are a great many of my friends.

Don't forget immigration. Anyone who immigrated here during that era is probably a huge Trudeau fan. I am the child of two, and so are a great many of my friends.
And nowhere in Canada has immigration and Trudeau's vision of multiculturalism had a greater impact than in Toronto. (Pierre Elliot) Trudeau Square is making more and more sense to me.

Last edited:
And nowhere in Canada has immigration and Trudeau's vision of multiculturalism had a greater impact than in Toronto. (Pierre Elliot) Trudeau Square is making more and more sense to me.

Trudeau invoked the War Measures Act during the October Crisis fueling Quebec separatism and the exodus of English business class to Toronto. When you look at it that way he does deserve to be recognized. Of course you'll have to overlook the contradiction that the man who championed human rights was the same man who so quickly suspended them.

Please....We need a public square where people can enjoy and have fun , not a place for people to protest, as soon as you add politics you get politics.

Eggleton Square?
eggleton.jpg

Trudeau invoked the War Measures Act during the October Crisis fueling Quebec separatism and the exodus of English business class to Toronto. When you look at it that way he does deserve to be recognized. Of course you'll have to overlook the contradiction that the man who championed human rights was the same man who so quickly suspended them.
Quebec separatism was already fueled, long before the War Measures Act, by the likes of the FLQ, not Trudeau. As I recall, the separatist 'revolutionaries' were busy blowing up mailboxes, kidnapping politicians, and finally murdering one of them in cold blood. By your take on Canadian history, Trudeau was nothing more than a pre-Ahmedinejad with a rose in his lapel.

Last edited:
I've always called it Dundas Square, and I always will. Although if it had to be corporate name, I'd take City Square.

I would hope we could honour Trudeau by naming something like the planned Lake Ontario Park after him. A 1000 acre naturalized park would be a more fitting tribute than a 1 acre concrete pad, for a Prime Minister who truely enjoy the Canadian wilderness.

I am of the belief that Toronto should name something after Trudeau as this city, perhaps more so than any other Canadian city, lives in his legacy. However, there's something not quite appropriate about Dundas Square being named after the man. Not a dig at Dundas Square, just a realization that it doesn't feel like the "right fit." Maybe Sherbourne Park or Lake Ontario Park could be named after Trudeau?

For Dundas Square....how's about Barenaked Square?

92411303_f2113dc53c.jpg

Back on topic, I really like the Toronto downtown streets backgrop in City's new newsroom.

Last edited:
Quebec separatism was already fueled, long before the War Measures Act, by the likes of the FLQ, not Trudeau. As I recall, the separatist 'revolutionaries' were busy blowing up mailboxes, kidnapping politicians, and finally murdering one of them in cold blood. By your take on Canadian history, Trudeau was nothing more than a pre-Ahmedinejad with a rose in his lapel.

You raise an interesting point. The same people who fawn over Trudeau are the same people who refer to the Taliban suicide bombers as freedom fighters. The hypocrisy on the left knows no bounds.

Back