News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

You raise an interesting point. The same people who fawn over Trudeau are the same people who refer to the Taliban suicide bombers as freedom fighters. The hypocrisy on the left knows no bounds.

Who, in this country, have you ever heard say that the Taliban were "freedom fighters"? The people who voted for Trudeau? That's insane. Think before you speak.

And btw, the Taliban is an extremist right-wing group. So, if there were a certain political ideology that would sympathize with them, it would lie somewhere on the hypocritical right.

It's pretty difficult to give something a new name once it's already existed in the minds of the public as something else. Skydome/Rogers Centre is an example. I think it's almost universal in this city that this square is known as "Dundas Square". I've never heard anyone refer to it as even "Yonge-Dundas Square". Any other name (especially something like "multicultural square") would seem rather forced and unnecessary.

I'd much prefer the proposed "Canada Square" on the harbourfront be named after Trudeau. At least it would have the name from day 1 and be a far better ode to one of the most important people in Canadian history (that cannot be denied, no matter your political leanings)

Last edited:
A new name for Dundas Square? What about the New Dundas Park, or NDP?

There's no grass. It can't be a park? Square is a public place for people to hang out but ground is concrete. There's nothing wrong with "dundas square" It's on Dundas and it's a square.

Note: I think that was a gag based upon the initials "NDP" (with some currency, given the abortive dreams of a NDP name change this weekend)

There's no grass. It can't be a park? Square is a public place for people to hang out but ground is concrete. There's nothing wrong with "dundas square" It's on Dundas and it's a square.

No "grass" at Dundas Square? Darn, man, that's not groovy. That spoils that deal, man. Oh, wow! Who needs "grass" with all that light show going around that square, man.

I like Yonge-Dundas Square, it seems appropriate although many people (including myself) refer to it as Dundas Square. Eventually you can be sure that naming rights will be sold, I'll wager it'll be something to do with CityTV or Rogers. Soon after you'll see that stage moved or altered as part of the deal.

No "grass" at Dundas Square? Darn, man, that's not groovy. That spoils that deal, man. Oh, wow! Who needs "grass" with all that light show going around that square, man.

Put Marc Emery in charge. That'll fix it all.

To reflect its real purpose and most popular use, they should call it METH SQUARE.

This place rivals Marrakesh as one of the world's greatest outdoor illicit recreational drug markets.

It's buying and selling all day and night.​

Of course as the naming rights will probably be sold to Rogers, perhaps we should call it ROGERS METH SQUARE.​

And nowhere in Canada has immigration and Trudeau's vision of multiculturalism had a greater impact than in Toronto. (Pierre Elliot) Trudeau Square is making more and more sense to me.

Perhaps, but the jury's still out on whether this 'experiment' has been a good thing in the sense that Trudeau's cultural engineering of the nation was extremely disdainful of, and damaging to, the once strong Canadian identity that already existed. Culturally speaking Quebec was spared this tinkering out of respect for a culture and heritage that was deemed worthy of preservation/protection as Trudeau's liberals disdainfully and arrogantly sold the ROC down the river. Nobody questions the importance of immigration and diversity, but the forced government posture of Multiculturalism has not been so clearly benign to many.

^ That's an interesting viewpoint, because from what I've seen, Multiculturalism itself has become one of the major pillars of the Canadian identity. If anything, I say it strengthens it. Look at Toronto in the 60's: Blue Collar and Whitebread, hoping to become the next Buffalo, NY. You must admit, things have improved, not gotten worse.

The reality is that western nations can be multicultural (as in have world immigration) or they can go the way of Japan and go down kicking and screaming as not to damage their "unity". It will lead to their decline: people just aren't interested in having babies like they used to.

To reflect its real purpose and most popular use, they should call it METH SQUARE.

This place rivals Marrakesh as one of the world's greatest outdoor illicit recreational drug markets.

It's buying and selling all day and night.​

I've never seen that or sensed drug dealing happening there.

Back