News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Drove by over the weekend and noticed they have police (ie YRP, not transit police) at every single station. Seems like a lot of manpower but I guess they want to make sure people understand how it all works for the first little bit. It looks great and pretty straightforward to me...(Oh, and in case it was still being debated it's definitely red asphalt, not paint).

Enterprise Station has been reopened with the same next-bus display signs as the rest of the rapidway stations. The interlocking stone patterns comprising the roadway surface were also removed and replaced with the red asphalt used on the rest of the system.

I've been riding the rapidways quite a bit since last week and here are my observations. Drivers seem to be driving very gingerly when in the rapidways and come to a crawl at every intersection, it actually feels really slow compared to pre-rapidway construction (perhaps it's due to the new 60km/h limit). Traffic doesn't really seem too bad where the rapidway is completed. Also traffic seems to still be adhering to the old speed limit as it feels really fast when you are standing on the sidewalk/viva stations.

I've been riding the rapidways quite a bit since last week and here are my observations. Drivers seem to be driving very gingerly when in the rapidways and come to a crawl at every intersection, it actually feels really slow compared to pre-rapidway construction (perhaps it's due to the new 60km/h limit). Traffic doesn't really seem too bad where the rapidway is completed. Also traffic seems to still be adhering to the old speed limit as it feels really fast when you are standing on the sidewalk/viva stations.

It seems to depend on the driver. The guy I had yesterday was in a hurry, and we were regularly flying by the traffic flowing westbound on 7.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I thought that stretch has always been slower than 80 KM/h, no? I recall it going up to 80 KM/h west of Bayview... Or I'm hallucinating.

That said, it probably can feel slower because there's no one in front of the bus to give the illusion that it can't go any faster (like it would be in mixed traffic).

I thought that stretch has always been slower than 80 KM/h, no? I recall it going up to 80 KM/h west of Bayview... Or I'm hallucinating.

That said, it probably can feel slower because there's no one in front of the bus to give the illusion that it can't go any faster (like it would be in mixed traffic).

The speed limit through Beaver Creek is either 60km/h or 70km/h. I remember there was talk of lowering it, not sure if they have yet.

Anyone know when the Bayview station will be fully operational? The slow-down seems to be the sidewalk entrance area on the upper level on Bayview.

The speed limit through Beaver Creek is either 60km/h or 70km/h. I remember there was talk of lowering it, not sure if they have yet.

The 80 km/h section from Bayview to Yonge hasn't changed. The relatively urbanized stretch from Bayview to 404 has dropped from 70 to 60. It was lowered (understandably) when they started construction and it's staying lowered, and I think it stays lowered for the rest of its length after that.

Anyone know when the Bayview station will be fully operational? The slow-down seems to be the sidewalk entrance area on the upper level on Bayview.
Bayview station should have been fully operational since September 1

Cedarland Station | 03 November 2013:

Enterprise Station | 03 November 2013:

Last edited:
Why can't Toronto do sidewalks like this !

I don't think it's because we're cheap. I think it's because numerous city departments - like the Engineering and Construction Services department which is in charge of sidewalk construction - are set in their old ways and see sidewalks as some functional piece of infrastructure, like water mains or storm sewers.

They probably put as much thought into sidewalk repair as I put into vacuuming my house. That is, it's a task that needs to be done, but not a creative endeavour or anything that will make my life appreciably better if I put more effort into it.

Back