News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

A sign has gone up on the empty lot (surrounded by a fence in Towered first shot above) touting the park development -- apparently they're going to improve/repair the playground west of the road at the same time as they expand the park. This will really clean up the neighbourhood!

http://www.movesmartly.com/2010/05/joel-weeks-park-redesign.html

Walked down Munro on the way home -- the sign has been shifted to the NE corner of Munro and the new street. No work yet on the closure of Carroll or anything else.

Other observations: Munro was awash with kids on bikes, teenagers acting cool, etc. It's now a real outdoor space. The towns look a lot better with a little landscaping and the addition of a pad for peoples' garbage bins off the stoops and front gardens. While the architecture isn't exactly groundbreaking, it was nice and neighbourhood-y. (Don Mount Court, in contrast, was a bit of a wasteland, and a middle-aged guy in a suit like me walking through would have drawn stares.) Nice to see this addition to the 'nabe.

Nah, the squirrels already have their overlords

http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto/0610-nat-squirrel

AoD

That's at the new-ish Joel Weekes park north of Queen, west of Broadview. That whole park was a great job -- kids roam the little hills, re-do of the basketball court area, hilarious squirrel sculptures. A very nice size, too -- not huge, but not squished. Berczy is so busy already in the summer -- I hope the woonerf on Scott makes the makeover feel less pinched than the current rendition.

That's at the new-ish Joel Weekes park north of Queen, west of Broadview. That whole park was a great job -- kids roam the little hills, re-do of the basketball court area, hilarious squirrel sculptures. A very nice size, too -- not huge, but not squished. Berczy is so busy already in the summer -- I hope the woonerf on Scott makes the makeover feel less pinched than the current rendition.

Note to go off topic but I noticed there's a huge townhouse complex (they look Ok from a built form wise) fronting this park, anyone know the history of that development i.e. when did it happen ? Funny I'm sure if that area was empty today it would definitely be a 10-15 story condos.

I think it's called Rivertowne - to my knowledge they were built within the last decade and they're a combination of private and public housing.

I assume you're referring to Joel Weeks park, not Berczy Park...

Yes, it was the from the TCHC Don Mount Court redevelopment under the mixed model.

See: http://www.blogto.com/city/2009/01/torontos_forgotten_landmarks_don_mount_court/

AoD

Yeah, DMC was an absolute hole. There are very, very few places in Toronto where I was afraid to walk through -- never minded cutting through Regent Park, played late night hockey at Moss Park Arena at Sherbourne/Queen, walked to work in the mid-'90s from Ontario street through Dundas/Sherbourne, etc., etc. -- but DMC was scary.

RiverTowne has a 4 story TCHC building fronting the Joel Weeks park from the north, then stacked townhouses - some TCHC, some private - from there to Dundas. Quite a lively little place, now.

IIRC, this was the small 'mixed model' experiment they put together before going full bore on Regent Park. Sometime in the mid-90s to 2000s, because we were in Riverdale by then. Locals were very skeptical that it would sell due to the TCHC residents, but it sold pretty briskly and has been kept up pretty nicely, IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah, DMC was an absolute hole. There are very, very few places in Toronto where I was afraid to walk through -- never minded cutting through Regent Park, played late night hockey at Moss Park at Sherbourne/Bloor, walked to work in the mid-'90s from Ontario street through Dundas/Sherbourne, etc., etc. -- but DMC was scary.

RiverTowne has a 4 story TCHC building fronting the Joel Weeks park from the north, then stacked townhouses - some TCHC, some private - from there to Dundas. Quite a lively little place, now.

IIRC, this was the small 'mixed model' experiment they put together before going full bore on Regent Park. Sometime in the mid-90s to 2000s, because we were in Riverdale by then. Locals were very skeptical that it would sell due to the TCHC residents, but it sold pretty briskly and has been kept up pretty nicely, IMO.
See: http://www.torontohousing.ca/investing_buildings/don_mount_court

What's that specific area like now? Curious what the townhomes go for resale I didn't see any on MLS.

If they wanted to avoid making it look "ghetto", they should have given each building central air conditioning and not window-mounted units. What is this, 1950?

I always think this whenever I am walking or driving by. Seriously.

Can you imagine the political kerfuffle if they move to central AC for RGI housing?

AoD

No. Is all new RGI housing devoid of central AC? (That's not a leading question - I actually don't know the answer) Given that most (but not) all TCHC tenants have their utilities subsidized (or pay a flat rate, IIRC), how is central AC more costly than hundreds of old window units in any given building?

No. Is all new RGI housing devoid of central AC? (That's not a leading question - I actually don't know the answer) Given that most (but not) all TCHC tenants have their utilities subsidized (or pay a flat rate, IIRC), how is central AC more costly than hundreds of old window units in any given building?

You know what, I think you are right - some of the new tower builds does have central air.

AoD

Not that a City Councillor, likely with the initials DMW, wouldn't decide one day to have a photo op to express his outrage over central AC in TCHC units.

Back