News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

A CPC minority is the best of the worst case scenarios. I don't think people trust Scheer enough to give him a majority.
Yeah if it the tories had a decent leader...and Doug ford was not such a moron...seems like Trudeau could have lost this election rather badly.

What does CPC minority mean - Liberals will have to have the support of 2 parties to retain power instead of just 1.?

Harper was able to cobble out Majority after two Minority Parliaments. Scheer (or his successor?) can argue that the coalition of the Bloc and NDP with the Liberals undermines democracy, that the party with the plurality of votes deserves the right to govern. Stranger things have happened. Sure it'll mean another election within 18 months but if the Conservatives can't convince the public by then that they're ready to lead the country then by all means keep the Liberals. This'll give the Libs time to soul-search and find a new leader as well.

Harper was able to cobble out Majority after two Minority Parliaments. Scheer (or his successor?) can argue that the coalition of the Bloc and NDP with the Liberals undermines democracy, that the party with the plurality of votes deserves the right to govern. Stranger things have happened. Sure it'll mean another election within 18 months but if the Conservatives can't convince the public by then that they're ready to lead the country then by all means keep the Liberals. This'll give the Libs time to soul-search and find a new leader as well.

That argument has been tried before - I believe by Harper. While it may get some public opinion mileage, it has no foundation in the parliamentary democratic process. although parliament has risen, Trudeau remains the Prime Minister, even through the election. Lacking a majority of seats, either through a formal coalition or even statement of support from other parties, if they can demonstrate the numbers, either the Liberals or Conservatives can approach the GG and claim they have the confidence of the House to govern. The popular vote has nothing to do with it. In a minority situation, I have a harder time believing the Conservatives could get one of the other parties onside.

That argument has been tried before - I believe by Harper. While it may get some public opinion mileage, it has no foundation in the parliamentary democratic process. although parliament has risen, Trudeau remains the Prime Minister, even through the election. Lacking a majority of seats, either through a formal coalition or even statement of support from other parties, if they can demonstrate the numbers, either the Liberals or Conservatives can approach the GG and claim they have the confidence of the House to govern. The popular vote has nothing to do with it. In a minority situation, I have a harder time believing the Conservatives could get one of the other parties onside.
To be honest it depends how many seats did liberals get

If they are nearly tied in the seat count it wont be an issue...

However if the difference is quite large then frankly Trudeau will have legitimacy problems in the public opinion sphere and it will be a weak government.

safe_image.php

From link.

Do not vote for "He Who Must Not Be Named". See image above.

That being said I can see the NDP merging with the Greens after this election. If we end up with a minority the NDP won't survive. They are in heavy debt right now and can't fight another election in short order.

Have you been hiding under a rock relative to Jagmeetmania the past week or so?

No matter how you spin it, Western Canada hates Trudeau but Eastern Canada hates Doug Ford and Andrew Scheer.
I don't think anyone hates Scheer.
The CPC had a choice in 2017 whether to try and out charisma Trudeau with Bernier, or pick a boring and bland nice guy Scheer. His time as speaker gave him a reputation as being honest and fair. I was surprised that the Liberals tried to target Scheer, and it appears to be a wasted tactic because only a handful of the most gullible are believing it. (although this being Canada, there are an awful lot of gullible voters).

The Liberals had a similar choice in 2013 when they decided to go with the looks and name recognition of Trudeau, instead of the brains of Garneau.

Maybe just as the CPC decided that nobody could outdo Trudeau on flair, the Liberals before decided that nobody could beat Harper on intelligence.

Beyond his (small r) republican musings, 'cleavage-gate' and 'file-folder-gate' I wasn't all that aware of Bernier when he was a member of the CPC. In light of his PPC platform and only assuming it would have been somewhat similar if he had won CPC leadership, imagine where this election would be now.

So, are anti-Trudeau people fine with him needing a bulletproof vest at a rally due to credible death threats?

Think the Tories honestly did not expect 2019 election to be competitive so I think a lot of big conservatives did not run for leader.

Lets be honest if the Tories end up winning more seats then Trudeau that would be a huge victory for them as that pretty would mean the end of Trudeau or start his downfall.

Seeing some numbers not yet reflected in public polls suggesting a real NDP surge, particularly in Atlantic Canada.

Not likely to to threaten Liberal seats there in a big way, (Libs still well ahead in that region); but showing signs of causing Libs real headaches in Ontario and BC.

Not clear in the numbers I've seen if whether this mostly a case of Lib - to - NDP seats or whether vote splitting shifts the seats to neither party.

Seeing some numbers not yet reflected in public polls suggesting a real NDP surge, particularly in Atlantic Canada.

Not likely to to threaten Liberal seats there in a big way, (Libs still well ahead in that region); but showing signs of causing Libs real headaches in Ontario and BC.

Not clear in the numbers I've seen if whether this mostly a case of Lib - to - NDP seats or whether vote splitting shifts the seats to neither party.

I just hope Jagmeet doesn't turn into Canadas Ross Perot.

Back