News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Waking up today to hearing so many athletes and celebrities having coronavirus is alarming.

I have to imagine the difference is that just they are being tested for it, and that the virus is way more widespread in countries than the official numbers are indicating. Many people are likely carrying it with just a mild cough or cold symptoms, or no symptoms at all.

This I think is some good action however I think we are now really exposing a massive flaw in our federation that ...

Parents in other parts of the country are going to be like "ooof" if they dont follow suit and it will cause confusion and some panic.

We are getting rather conflicting advice from all provinces on many things and as I said we live in 2020 where people look at info from far and wide rather then just local.

As we take more serious actions this may turn into a bigger issue.

I don't view so much a "massive flaw" as a 'feature'. Certain responsibilities are federal, others are closer to home at the provincial level and others are still closer to home at the municipal level. Upper tiers generally have a funding/coordinating/supporting role, certainly in times like this. I don't think something like a standing federal Ministry of Education or even a delivery level federal Ministry of Health is appropriate or necessary (not even considering the Constitutional changes that would be necessary). Response decisions that are appropriate to Nunavut or BC might not be necessary or even helpful in Newfoundland. Perhaps geographically smaller countries can get away with service delivery national agencies.

Can anyone explain why people are stocking up on toilet paper?

Herd mentality fed by media. There is little to no medical reason to stock up on things like TP, but fears are being spread that it will become so bad that entire manufacturing , supply chains and infrastructure will be disrupted by the illness; hence, people stocking up on water fearing their municipal water system will fail for lack of personnel. Dedicated preppers are giddy with 'told ya so'.

I think part of it is also some form of strange human nature, like when they show images of stores sold out of snow shovels just before a major storm - in areas where snow is no stranger. I want to ask 'what do you do with the last shovel you bought'?

1584108934068.png

Herd mentality fed by media. There is little to no medical reason to stock up on things like TP, but fears are being spread that it will become so bad that entire manufacturing , supply chains and infrastructure will be disrupted by the illness; hence, people stocking up on water fearing their municipal water system will fail for lack of personnel. Dedicated preppers are giddy with 'told ya so'.

I think part of it is also some form of strange human nature, like when they show images of stores sold out of snow shovels just before a major storm - in areas where snow is no stranger. I want to ask 'what do you do with the last shovel you bought'?

Not just regular media - but social media. Images of bare shelves anywhere induces the urge to stock up - and the feeling that if they don't do so now, they may not have a chance to do so. It's a perverse side effect of better be safe than sorry.

AoD

Last edited:
I think the only thing that may require "stocking up" on would be alcohol. Specifically spirits, since beer and wine are in grocery stores. Think about it, the public's only source are gov't stores, and the gov't looks like it's taking precautions by temporarily shutting things down. So perhaps if you need whiskey, vodka, or rum - buy now.

I think the only thing that may require "stocking up" on would be alcohol. Specifically spirits, since beer and wine are in grocery stores. Think about it, the public's only source are gov't stores, and the gov't looks like it's taking precautions by temporarily shutting things down. So perhaps if you need whiskey, vodka, or rum - buy now.

If you "need" it, it's probably a good time to dry out. :)

But workers should not have to rely on the generosity or self-interest of their employers, it should be a right.

Much easier when people are 'employees' but much more difficult when they are in a self employed/commissioned/contract relationship. Generally, you don't get to access EI unless you have paid into it. Many workers fall into the contract relationship by default (i.e. 'the gig economy) but others do it by choice because of the freedom and flexibility it offers. Do we want to start paying real estate agents for the houses they might have sold?

Clearly, the changes this government made to sick leave, sick notes, etc. was a step back.

Not just regular media - but social media. Images of bare shelves anywhere induces the urge to stock up - and the feeling that if they don't do so now, they may not have a chance to do so. It's a perverse side effect of better safe than sorry.
AoD

Ya, it seems to go without saying theses days; media=social media, but you are right that I fell into the trap of giving social media an amount of credibility it does not deserve.
Better safe than sorry or fear of missing out?

Waking up today to hearing so many athletes and celebrities having coronavirus is alarming.

I have to imagine the difference is that just they are being tested for it, and that the virus is way more widespread in countries than the official numbers are indicating. Many people are likely carrying it with just a mild cough or cold symptoms, or no symptoms at all.

The truly alarming thing is the US federal government basically abrogating its' responsibilities - and likely intentionally delayed testing - in order to make a certain elected executive look good.

Ya, it seems to go without saying theses days; media=social media, but you are right that I fell into the trap of giving social media an amount of credibility it does not deserve.
Better safe than sorry or fear of missing out?

Regular media also have some responsibilities - like blindly regurgitating emergency preparation checklists without taking into account the type of emergency in question (like why do we need bottled water) at hand.

AoD

Last edited:
I
I don't view so much a "massive flaw" as a 'feature'. Certain responsibilities are federal, others are closer to home at the provincial level and others are still closer to home at the municipal level. Upper tiers generally have a funding/coordinating/supporting role, certainly in times like this. I don't think something like a standing federal Ministry of Education or even a delivery level federal Ministry of Health is appropriate or necessary (not even considering the Constitutional changes that would be necessary). Response decisions that are appropriate to Nunavut or BC might not be necessary or even helpful in Newfoundland. Perhaps geographically smaller countries can get away with service delivery national agencies.
I do think future pandemics need to look at this aspect more though...

You can look into germany for example and they are having a hell of a time to take more drastic actions.

I think it has some gaps in it because I am sure parents in bc are wondering why their schools are not closed when they have as many cases as Ontario.

Like I am wondering if we have to do what italy did who would make the call? I doubt we will just wondering.

Last edited:
And birth control, lest we want a corona quarantine baby boom

Gatherings of over 250 people to be suspended

Looks at the 2 posts above.............

Well, at least that addresses the Admiral's concern over mass orgies.

Back