News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Some additional details on the contract:

View attachment 503610

Taken from: https://www.unifor.org/news/all-news/metro-grocery-workers-ratify-historic-new-collective-agreement

While I still can't imagine how anyone will get by on their ' new and improved' wages, this contract does look like a meaningful step forward for most employees there.

Between the wage hike, access to at least some sick-day time for part-time staff, and standardized schedules for FT staff , I think there are some tangible quality of life gains.

Good on the staff there for fighting for their self interest, and winning material concessions, my congratulations to them.

May other retail employees be at least as lucky over the next while.
We'll probably never know, but I wonder what happens to that Union leadership that recommended accepting the pre-strike offer.

LOL at "operational challenges."

1694222682254.png

Ok....so, no pics.............

But I went on a tour of the new Nature's Emporium today.

I have thoughts.

Better than Coppa's (not that hard).......

1) Where they are positioned as upper-middle/high-end market retailer, at least they mostly look the part, where Coppa's did not.

2) They are actually price competitive on some (comparable) or (identical) items.

3) Lots of samples on offer.

4) Generally good labelling (Coppa's was terrible at this)

Overall ambiance B/B+ Its not quite where I would want it for the price point, but its quite good.

Price point (value) B- Not a terrible rating, its high priced, but if you compare product to product, they are competitive on many items; however, there a a few they are completely out to lunch on.

Best value produce: Organic Lemons - .66c ea ; (compares favourably to conventional lemons at Longos at a buck each)

Worst value produce: Organic Curly Parsley - $5.99 a bunch. Simply, you must be kidding, you all know exactly what gesture that merits.

Product Quality: Bakery seems to be heavily outsourced, if you like Blackbird in Kensington, you'll probably be happy. Produce quality is good overall. Meat.....we have a problem here. The beef is mostly ultra-lean.
Gotta say, I'm fine w/people who don't like beef; and I'm fine w/people on a diet; I'm not ok w/people who like beef that tastes bad. Fat is flavour!

Prepared foods: A bit too health-trend forward for my taste. For some reason, I don't crave mousse made w/Chia...........

Strong Points: They have an extensive private-label program which is quite competitive in many categories. Good customer-service training, good merchandising (displays).

Weak Points: Terrible visibility from the outside; has nobody learned this yet, really? IF they don't know you exist, they don't find you. Second, they are completely out to lunch on some price points...... Third, over-emphasis to me on supplements. I don't view the GNC crowd as the foodie crowd or the eco crowd by and large. Very odd hybrid.

Customer traffic, for mid-day, early on...............ok'ish.......not where it should be though.

Last edited:
I was puzzled by the odd display changes at the Manulife Centre Independent City Market, and it looks like Maisie DeSousa sold her store, which is now operated by Carmen Palumbo, who operated the City Market that was at 301 College St. and the Queen St. East Valu Mart in the Beaches.

Last edited:
I was puzzled by the odd display changes at the Manulife Centre Independent City Market, and it looks like Maisie DeSousa sold her store, which is now operated by Carmen Palumbo, who operated the City Market that was at 301 College St. and the Queen St. East Valu Mart in the Beaches.

That's a potential disaster.

Maisie was an institution and a tour de force.

Always accessible and always looking out for new and interesting product.

The same could not be said of the Beach Store; and the College one closed, which tells you how well it did.

Pfft.

T&T is coming to Panda Condo Development on the site of the former World's Biggest Bookstore.

I told you all that more supermarkets were coming to DT.

A couple have been nixed, but this one was not.

The sales out of the College location have been gangbusters; they knew they were leaving money on the table.

This one is fortunately bigger than the College site, they're taking 31,000ft2.

This is only the second store in the chain to get the 'street food concept' for hot meals.

Chinese-style crepes, Taiwanese-style stuffed rice rolls and popcorn chicken among other things.

This spot was also chosen because the Gardens Loblaws, and College Park Metro both do huge numbers; so there was clear evidence there was some space in the market for more; TMU students are the number one target group here.

T&T is coming to Panda Condo Development on the site of the former World's Biggest Bookstore.

I wonder how well this will do in the heart of Downtown. Is the clientele big enough in the area to support it?

Back