News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

For about a decade, that Metro was literally out my back door. I liked Fiesta and PAT, but if you need something on the way home to make dinner, which is how most people living around there live, it was Metro.

Which is probably why they can't keep their shelves stocked!

The Metro @ Spadina & Bloor is closed due to the strike.
All the inventory @ Metro Spadina @ Bloor was shipped over to (dumped @) the Metro store @ College & Shaw, and that store IS open.
This is how they're getting rid of all the perishable groceries so nothing goes to waste.

Can someone please post a list of all the Toronto/GTA Metro stores that are currently open during the strike? Thanks!

The Metro @ Spadina & Bloor is closed due to the strike.
All the inventory @ Metro Spadina @ Bloor was shipped over to (dumped @) the Metro store @ College & Shaw, and that store IS open.
This is how they're getting rid of all the perishable groceries so nothing goes to waste.

Can someone please post a list of all the Toronto/GTA Metro stores that are currently open during the strike? Thanks!

Front Street (Market Square), College and Shaw, and College Park are the only downtown stores unaffected, I think.

Gould street is closed, Yonge-Eglinton is closed, Bloor-Spadina is closed, Liberty Village is closed, Shoppers World Danforth is closed

In Scaborough, Parkway Mall is open

Bridlewood, Eglinton Square, Eglinton/Markham and Kennedy Commons are all closed.

In North York, Yonge and Lawrence is open.

North York Centre store, Bayview/York Mills, Shops on Don Mills and Keele/Lawrence and Bathurst/Lawrence are all closed.

I'm sure I missed a few..

Last edited:
The Parkway mall store was a Miracle Mart store. I remember when THEY were on strike YEARS ago. Shortly after, that store became a Dominion, then later a Metro.
This is strictly a guess that that location is grandfathered under either a former Miracle mart union or a Dominion union. I could be wrong.

The Parkway mall store was a Miracle Mart store. I remember when THEY were on strike YEARS ago. Shortly after, that store became a Dominion, then later a Metro.
This is strictly a guess that that location is grandfathered under either a former Miracle mart union or a Dominion union. I could be wrong.

You're older than I thought!

I barely remember Miracle Food Mart.

Of the former MFM locations, that still operate as supermarkets, how many are still in the Metro family, in Toronto? Hmmm

Parkway, Wilson + Keele, Sheppard + Bathurst, Markham Sheppard, Jane Park Plaza, Thorncliffe, Gerrard Square.

2 of these are still 'Metro', the rest are 'Basics'; none are within this union agreement.

You may be on point!

Metro also has "A" stores and "B" stores, but I honestly do not know if this has anything to do with which stores are on strike.

Metro also has "A" stores and "B" stores, but I honestly do not know if this has anything to do with which stores are on strike.

It does not.

Its just an internal way of organizing like stores within a region, based on products and services offered and/or sales volumes.

On the subject of Metro supermarkets..........

I walked by my local one, which is out on strike, on my evening walk.

I stopped by to offer the workers moral support; and they seemed pleased.

In the course of that brief visit, I was told, the offer they turned down was a $1 per hour raise in year 1; the workers are asking for $2 per hour.

Seems like an ultra-reasonable ask on their part; shame on Metro for not agreeing right out of the gate. I wish the workers well.

We're at three weeks now on the strike, I think? I thought it would go about two weeks before there was a deal.

Interesting it sounds like they are no closer to a deal at all now. This may go on quite a long time.

We're at three weeks now on the strike, I think? I thought it would go about two weeks before there was a deal.

Interesting it sounds like they are no closer to a deal at all now. This may go on quite a long time.

Metro put out publicly that the Union would not meet w/them; but the Union has stated that Metro has yet to make an improved offer from the one worker's rejected, so there isn't anything to discuss.

Metro has now asked for 'mediation'.

The Union executive clearly came to a deal w/Metro the first time; they don't seem to be all that acerbic w/there corporate opposition.

The workers rejected the union recommended offer; I'm really not sure what mediation has to do with it at this point. The workers want their 'Hero Pay' back (an immediate raise of $2 per hour) and are otherwise happy to ratify the agreement that was proposed, though they'd like a few more FT positions.

The difference is $1 per hour; Metro was highly profitable when paying that number previously, with lower grocery prices than today.

The only thing that needs to happen is for Metro to give in to a pretty reasonable request.

Last edited:
College Park is UFCW 175. They ratified an agreement last year. I suspect UNIFOR is asking for more than what UFCW members are getting from Metro

UFCW being a union widely thought to be ineffective at representing workers, a union that has been rolled in multiple contracts across multiple retailers.....

That would hardly be a surprise if true!

Nature's Emporium is opening on 15 September at the Shoppes of One York on Queen's Quay West. That will make three large grocery stores in a small area.

Back