News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

This is a good idea. A TTC collector I know is increasingly upset by all the intrusion into his "work space" via iphone cameras etc. Wouldn't you be angry if people took photos of you at work? For example, hospitals or gov't office workers are arguably "public workers" yet how many have taken compromising photos of them? (All of us have felt the need to "nap on the job" at some point in our lives, no matter what the job description.) Or retail workers--just try taking a photo of a retail employee without their permission.

All of us have felt the need to "nap on the job" at some point in our lives, no matter what the job description.

My "need" to nap on the job is always counterbalanced by the certainty that my ass will be fired the first time some catches me doing so.

^Why the hate on for the proletarian worker? That's the vibe I get here. People expect "those uneducated clods" to have higher work ethics than the educated class.

That being said, for surly sullen proletarian transit workers, have you ever been on a Ukrainian or Polish or Russian train/tram/subway? These TTC workers look downright friendly, hardworking and happy by comparison.

^Why the hate on for the proletarian worker? That's the vibe I get here.

They don't like that they are getting called out for their behaviour, so they decide to make it hard to see and document such behaviour. Kind of a bullshit move if you ask me.

That being said, for surly sullen proletarian transit workers, have you ever been on a Ukrainian or Polish or Russian train/tram/subway? These TTC workers look downright friendly, hardworking and happy by comparison.

So becuase some other part of the world has it bad we shouldn't expect better here?

^Why the hate on for the proletarian worker? That's the vibe I get here. People expect "those uneducated clods" to have higher work ethics than the educated class.

The proletariat don't make 6 figures a year. Just because they don't wear suits, and they're jobs aren't that important (or in the case of TTC booth workers, aren't even close to necessary), doesn't make them the proletariat.

Also, are you trying to say we've got good service compared to the Ukraine? Really? That's going to be your point of comparison?

Kind of pathetic that even the most freakin obvious things ends up being rocket science to the TTC...

Allow me to help the TTC out:

1. All customer complaints to the call center are logged, and are not released until the the agency has done their best to satisfy all concerns.
1b. Complaints against operators and employees can be submitted by email, and if Bob Kinnear or any union apologists have a problem with this, they can STFU and EABOD
2. Have electronic kiosks in stations which can distribute various fare media and accept a variety of payment.
3. Move to a timed transfer/fare system where a fare provides unlimited service for between 60-120 minutes. This can also address zone strategies, as those travelling longer distances may have to pay extra to complete their journey within the time allowed. Operators and collectors can extend the length of time without charge if there is a delay.
3b. Print transfers on something other than cheap toilet paper.
4. Retrofit vehicles with more comfortable seats and purchase articulated buses for high volume and future streetcar routes.
5. Bring back moving escalator at Spadina station (this can also help to reduce congestion at St. George).

Last edited:
Why does one have to ask (politely, please) the TTC collector in the subway station for a Ride Guide? It delays other people behind, and sometimes they do run out.

Better to have an outside slot holding a small number of Ride Guides near the collector, which could be refilled from inside. If they had an outside slot, I would also be able to check to see if I already have the printed edition, so I don’t have to get a duplicate.

I'm still trying to understand who though the current bus design was a good idea. The steps in the middle of the bus act like a barrier, rarely do people ever stand past the steps, the chairs are also very small and uncomfortable. The steps are also pretty dangerous. Try walking down those steps when the bus is pulling into your stop.

Why does one have to ask (politely, please) the TTC collector in the subway station for a Ride Guide? It delays other people behind, and sometimes they do run out.

Better to have an outside slot holding a small number of Ride Guides near the collector, which could be refilled from inside. If they had an outside slot, I would also be able to check to see if I already have the printed edition, so I don’t have to get a duplicate.
Probably because it would create waste, with people taking unnecessary copies.

They are not hard to get. And if I need to talk to a collector about something like that, I just do it one day when there isn't a big line.

Though I still don't see the big deal; surely the time involved for the transaction is minimal compared to buying tickets or a pass.

If they were have a rack, there would be a lot of complaints that it wasn't being kept filled.

I'm still trying to understand who though the current bus design was a good idea. The steps in the middle of the bus act like a barrier, rarely do people ever stand past the steps, the chairs are also very small and uncomfortable. The steps are also pretty dangerous. Try walking down those steps when the bus is pulling into your stop.

If I recall correctly, the reason is mechanical is under those stairs. For example the engine and fuel tanks.

Agreed. Layout is horrific on the buses. I'd think this is part of the reason they put their foot down on the new LRTs and insisted on 100% low-floor rather than the ones with stairs Bombardier was trying to push.

Oh, I'm well aware of that, but you're telling me this is the best they could have come up with?

I find this thread particularly interesting because when the streetcar bid demanded 100% low-floor, urbantoronto users were pretty vocal about how it should just be 70% due to being more standard, etc.

In short, since very few agencies demand full low-floor, we don't get it as a low priced option. One lousy alternative is something like VIVA where you lose an entire back corner (right hand side in this case) and have stairs up to the individual seats.

Back