News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I'd support that densification even more if the development was integrated with the construction of the station, so that hopefully the developers could cover some of the cost of the station construction.

^This, never thought of that idea, but I imagine there has to be quite a good incentive for this.

^This, never thought of that idea, but I imagine there has to be quite a good incentive for this.

Well if you're digging a giant hole anyway for a large condo development, might as well encoporate the subway station into the substructure. City expropriates the land for the station, gives the land to the developer in exchange for them building all of (or funding a significant portion of) the station construction. Expropriate the land, get a free station, get immediate density around the station, and the condo developer gets some premium units. Seems like a win-win for me. Naturally the agreement would vary depending on location, size of the station, etc, but the basic premise would be the same.

This was taken from the globe piece on doug Ford, I think he maybe able to pull off a incremental subway approach on Sheppard.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/globe-to/doug-ford-riding-shotgun-in-the-fordmobile/article2056613/page3/

"The mayor's Sheppard subway plan seems to some a pipe dream. Even Gordon Chong, the man the Mayor appointed to explore financing options for the Sheppard subway, has said the project may end up being unfeasible. But Doug Ford has a plan. He's heard a number of serious proposals already for financing the $4-billion line privately, including at least one from a Chinese firm. He insists the city should start digging with partial funding: accepting a few hundred million from the federal government, borrowing against future tax revenues (known as tax-increment financing) along Eglinton and Sheppard and diverting cash leftover from the $8.1-billion the province has promised for the Eglinton subway. “I know for a fact Eglinton won't cost that much,†he said. “Let's just get the shovels in the ground,†he added. “Even if we go a kilometre a year, just don't take those boring machines out of the ground once they start going.â€

The demand at Eglinton or in the core can't be redistributed to Sheppard. That's like trying to redistribute the demand on the Bloor Danforth Line to the Yonge Line.

I was referring to housing demand.

The amount of money it would take to expand the Sheppard line and pay for subsidies/incentives to increase it's density would be better spent improving existing service.

The same could be said for a lot of projects. LRT on Morninside anyone? A subway on Sheppard has a better case than that.

Eglinton is part of David Miller's legacy. Ford had very little knowledge and wanted to cancel it before he found out it the central area is going to be underground.

A subway/higher order transit on Eglinton was an idea before Miller came along. You may have heard of the Eglinton West subway project in the 90s? Miller simply slapped an LRT label on it and sent it out the door.

And no it won't be his legacy. No shovels in the ground on his watch. Heck, it might not be Ford's legacy either.

Miller is directly responsible for securing the Transit City funding from the province, and that money is what's making Eglinton possible. So yes, it is very much his legacy, shovels or no.

Well if you're digging a giant hole anyway for a large condo development, might as well encoporate the subway station into the substructure. City expropriates the land for the station, gives the land to the developer in exchange for them building all of (or funding a significant portion of) the station construction. Expropriate the land, get a free station, get immediate density around the station, and the condo developer gets some premium units. Seems like a win-win for me. Naturally the agreement would vary depending on location, size of the station, etc, but the basic premise would be the same.

having suffered the consequences of taking classes at OISE, let me assure you, developers wont be jumping on that bandwagon anytime soon. A subway train underground OISE makes enough noise to disrupt a 300 student classroom every 5 minutes, I can only imagine what it would do for residents. And I don't think developers, who try to minimize the cost of every development, are going to shoulder the extra cost of soundproofing the building.

having suffered the consequences of taking classes at OISE, let me assure you, developers wont be jumping on that bandwagon anytime soon. A subway train underground OISE makes enough noise to disrupt a 300 student classroom every 5 minutes, I can only imagine what it would do for residents. And I don't think developers, who try to minimize the cost of every development, are going to shoulder the extra cost of soundproofing the building.

Construction standards, methods and materials have significantly improved since we built that subway. And there are subways all over the world that have buildings integrated with the stations without significant resident complaints.

I wish Rob Ford would look at reducing the cost of Sheppard. That could go as far toward paying for the much-needed project as any "innovative financing solutions."

"The mayor's Sheppard subway plan seems to some a pipe dream. Even Gordon Chong, the man the Mayor appointed to explore financing options for the Sheppard subway, has said the project may end up being unfeasible. But Doug Ford has a plan. He's heard a number of serious proposals already for financing the $4-billion line privately, including at least one from a Chinese firm. He insists the city should start digging with partial funding: accepting a few hundred million from the federal government, borrowing against future tax revenues (known as tax-increment financing) along Eglinton and Sheppard and diverting cash leftover from the $8.1-billion the province has promised for the Eglinton subway. “I know for a fact Eglinton won't cost that much,” he said. “Let's just get the shovels in the ground,” he added. “Even if we go a kilometre a year, just don't take those boring machines out of the ground once they start going.”

Can City Council please pass a By-Law mandating that everything Doug Ford says be reality-checked before it's allowed to spread through the media like a virus of ignorance? Seriously, every time he opens his mouth I feel my IQ points dropping just from having listened to (or in this case read) what he's saying.

Miller is directly responsible for securing the Transit City funding from the province, and that money is what's making Eglinton possible. So yes, it is very much his legacy, shovels or no.

Damn skippy, it's Miller's legacy. Ford's legacy is going to be failing to extend an underused subway line.

Can City Council please pass a By-Law mandating that everything Doug Ford says be reality-checked before it's allowed to spread through the media like a virus of ignorance? Seriously, every time he opens his mouth I feel my IQ points dropping just from having listened to (or in this case read) what he's saying.

He's a lot better than the mayor.

Back