News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I like that rendering. And I would fully support that kind of densification if it gets Sheppard completed.

I like that rendering. And I would fully support that kind of densification if it gets Sheppard completed.

I don't mind densification, but there is an issue of how many condo units and offices can the market absorb within several years. Selling a group of towers at one or two intersections is one matter, but selling 5 or 6 such groups all along a stretch of Sheppard East might not be possible because there won't be enough buyers.

If Sheppard East subway is to be extended, then a staged approach might be more workable financially, because of both the aforementioned market capacity issue, and the amount of public money needed (as it certainly won't be built by private money alone).

I don't mind densification, but there is an issue of how many condo units and offices can the market absorb within several years. Selling a group of towers at one or two intersections is one matter, but selling 5 or 6 such groups all along a stretch of Sheppard East might not be possible because there won't be enough buyers.

If Sheppard East subway is to be extended, then a staged approach might be more workable financially, because of both the aforementioned market capacity issue, and the amount of public money needed (as it certainly won't be built by private money alone).

My thoughts exactly! If a Rob Ford Subway is to materialize, it definitely would have to be a phased approach. Phase 1 can begin asap from Don Mills to Victoria Park as the EA is already complete. Then once the development (in the rendering) is approaching sell out status, the subway can then move its way to Warden in the next phase (using a cheaper means like cut&cover if possible) then Kennedy, then Scarborough Town Centre

By the time the eastern branch of the subway is completed in its entirety it will probably be 2030 or so but at least it will continue to gain ridership as its being built...There is no way the entire subway corridor can be maxed out in density in one shot...it has to be a phased approach.

Public Money is also necessary, contrary to Ford's claims, but if its being phased in very slowly like this, i think senior governments might be more welcoming in providing additional funding incrementally as it goes...

Hey, nobody is saying at all that this has to be built in one shot. So a phased approach is probably quite likely.

As for demand....it makes sense in my books to re-distribute demand from places like Eglinton or the core to Sheppard. Takes some pressure off those areas and provides more options for residents. It also addresses criticisms about Sheppard not being dense enough to support a subway. Here you are not just building the subway, but also the ridership to go along with it.

And I can easily see the feds and the province (even under Hudak) kicking in a bit more to make this happen.

LOL, it would be stunning if Rob Ford, the guy so derided by transit advocates, turns out to be the guy who built Eglinton and Sheppard as subways.

He won't be. If it's ever built, it'll be on the public dime and on somebody else's watch, in the 2020s at least.

Oh, and what Ford's done is make it an either-or choice between Sheppard and the DCL.

I'd support that densification even more if the development was integrated with the construction of the station, so that hopefully the developers could cover some of the cost of the station construction.

I'd support that densification even more if the development was integrated with the construction of the station, so that hopefully the developers could cover some of the cost of the station construction.

That would be ideal

Hey, nobody is saying at all that this has to be built in one shot. So a phased approach is probably quite likely.

As for demand....it makes sense in my books to re-distribute demand from places like Eglinton or the core to Sheppard. Takes some pressure off those areas and provides more options for residents. It also addresses criticisms about Sheppard not being dense enough to support a subway. Here you are not just building the subway, but also the ridership to go along with it.

The demand at Eglinton or in the core can't be redistributed to Sheppard. That's like trying to redistribute the demand on the Bloor Danforth Line to the Yonge Line.

The amount of money it would take to expand the Sheppard line and pay for subsidies/incentives to increase it's density would be better spent improving existing service.

LOL, it would be stunning if Rob Ford, the guy so derided by transit advocates, turns out to be the guy who built Eglinton and Sheppard as subways.

Eglinton is part of David Miller's legacy. Ford had very little knowledge and wanted to cancel it before he found out it the central area is going to be underground.

Back