News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

And you are saving on the high cost of Niagara Parks parking. It's just a matter of getting from the Falls to the station.

It seems even faster after a few drinks!

That's actually my holdup. I personally hate long trips after a long night of drinking. There comes a point where you just want to get home and the idea of riding the train from midnight to 2am is pretty daunting. I can't even stand more than a 30 minute TTC trip.

And while of course, it's possible to continue drinking on the GO Train, which I have dozens of times, The Niagara trains always seem to have way more GO staff and Special Constables on board. Sometimes it seems like they have two for every car, which makes having a little fun a lot harder.

Last edited:
I have seen the Kitchener trains with FP59's on both ends lately. GO must be hard up for power to do this.

I've been seeing that on the Barrie Line as well. No idea what's going on.

The second train in my video below (at 0:42) has double headed F59s.
[video=youtube;zJzUyAUFsCk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJzUyAUFsCk&feature=plcp[/video]

Niagara Falls Wallenda Special Train

Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised. I assume it was a bit shorter than a 10-car train?

It was reported to me that it was a 12-car train, but crept along at walking speed east of the Welland Canal, both ways.

I have seen the Kitchener trains with FP59's on both ends lately. GO must be hard up for power to do this.

Because of the grades on the line, a single F59 can not maintain the schedule. Either a single MP40 or a pair of F59s must be used.

I've been seeing that on the Barrie Line as well. No idea what's going on.

The first two trains have been using 2 locomotives - usually an F59 and an MP40 - since the beginning of last fall, and the last two falls previous. This is due to fallen leaves on the track causing excessive wheelslip, and thus delaying the trains. In years past they have pulled the second unit off the trains by early November, but for whatever reason they didn't this year.

It was reported to me that it was a 12-car train, but crept along at walking speed east of the Welland Canal, both ways.

It was scheduled to be a 12 car train, but I didn't get a chance to actually see if that was the case.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Because of the grades on the line, a single F59 can not maintain the schedule. Either a single MP40 or a pair of F59s must be used.

The first two trains have been using 2 locomotives - usually an F59 and an MP40 - since the beginning of last fall, and the last two falls previous. This is due to fallen leaves on the track causing excessive wheelslip, and thus delaying the trains. In years past they have pulled the second unit off the trains by early November, but for whatever reason they didn't this year.

It was scheduled to be a 12 car train, but I didn't get a chance to actually see if that was the case.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I understand the need for 2 power, but it has been FP & MP from day one.

Going to FP on both ends does free up the MP's that can push/pull 12 cars vs. 10 for an FP.

It was odd to see after the start up, but good use of resources.

I understand the need for 2 power, but it has been FP & MP from day one.

The used two locos for the first week or two, as there were some concerns about a couple of locations on the line. Since then, and until very recently, it has been one MP40 powering the trains.

Going to FP on both ends does free up the MP's that can push/pull 12 cars vs. 10 for an FP.

2 F59s can handle a 12-car train quite easily. And in fact, used to.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The used two locos for the first week or two, as there were some concerns about a couple of locations on the line. Since then, and until very recently, it has been one MP40 powering the trains.

2 F59s can handle a 12-car train quite easily. And in fact, used to.

That was his point (I think, sometimes it is hard to tell).

2 FPs can run a 12 car train.

1 FP and 1 MP can run a 12 car train (a combination they were using).

1MP can run a 12 car train all by itself.

If you have 2 FPs and 1 MP, you can run two 12-car trains if you pair up the FPs and let the MP stand alone.

Back