News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone old enough to vaguely remember Bill 'Bland Is Good' Davis, I have to marvel at the general unmooring of Conservatives from their roots; Municipally, Provincially and Federally. The Chicago School is Ground Zero, obvs. But how does that explain this Tea Party thing that's got Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. in a spiral of failure? And how does it reach such a logical end in Robert 'Bruise' Ford?

For sure, this neo-liberal crap was the guiding light for Harris and his wrecking crew. And that's where Ford Sr, served his one term in back bench obscurity (until he was unpalatable to even them). But that's the extent of the background of the Kurrent Klown Krop of Fords: A too-extreme barbarian in a tribe of ideological visigoths (and an irrelevancy, to boot). That political blip is their political keystone, fergawdsakes.

No, these yams aren't conservatives. Bill Mason was a conservative. Robert Bateman's a real one. So's Lizzie May. The Fords don't deserve the label, even if their own company makes it.

My political memory tracks fairly similarly, but watching the TVO election coverage the other night, Chris Stockwell, 8 years older and a fair bit more directly involved, was recalling some of the hard C conservatives before Davis that would be not dissimilar to Hudak and others from that side of the tent on most topics, The "my way, period." unwillingness to even listen to any other point of view is new. I think more than a few Ontarian's voted against just that.

My political memory tracks fairly similarly, but watching the TVO election coverage the other night, Chris Stockwell, 8 years older and a fair bit more directly involved, was recalling some of the hard C conservatives before Davis that would be not dissimilar to Hudak and others from that side of the tent on most topics, The "my way, period." unwillingness to even listen to any other point of view is new. I think more than a few Ontarian's voted against just that.

That's where the Libertarian vs Authoritarian axis cracks the conservatives hard in half.

Reconciling that cleavage is a major challenge for all politics in the 21st century. Or will this be the early 1960s all over again?

Last edited:
Lamport Davenport and hper, comments that are considered, funny, well written and a great asset to the thread. Well done.

Thank you <blush>. I got irritated and scratched. Too much Ontario election fun. :)

Is it lame and nerdy to still believe in hope? I hope not.

That's where the Libertarian vs Authoritarian axis cracks the conservatives hard in half.

Reconciling that cleavage is a major challenge for all politics in the 21st century. Or is it the early 60s all over again?

History's lessons, unlearned, will be repeated..

also from the same article:

**quote**Shots rang out one night in July 2010, next to a daycare at 340 Dixon Road, sending people scattering. Police believe one of the intended targets in that spree was Anthony Smith, a young man and alleged Dixon Blood who would be murdered in 2013 outside a nightclub and who appeared in a famous photo alongside Mayor Ford. **endquote**

certainly lends credibility to the claims that Smith's murder isn't linked to Ford if he was a marked man even back then.

he could be a marked man at different times for different reasons... something else in 2010 and ford related in 2013.

“But I’ll tell you one thing, I’d give that PC party an enema from top to bottom.”
“Enema,” he repeats. “Top to bottom.”

Well, I have to admit, that I don't really know how you become the leader of a political party,
but I think its got something to do with gaining enough support to be voted in by the party members.

Calling them all turds that you're going to flush down the toilet, is not a good way to start!

Dougie's way of announcing he has progressed from a douche nozzle to a enema nozzle. :p

He could only make it in a political party is if he was the leader, or if he was the chief manipulating MPP of the leader, just like the fine job he does with his brother.

Anyway, Dougie would not last long as a "follower", or give up control of Deco in one way or another to meet provincial strictures.

Last edited:
World Mayor 2014: Final longlist

22 May 2014: The 2014 World Mayor Project was launched on 7 January 2014. The final longlist of 121 candidates includes 19 mayors from North America, 16 from Latin America, 44 from Europe, 26 from Asia, 7 from Australasia and 9 from Africa. The shortlist of 25 nominees will be announced on 17 June 2014.

World Mayor longlist of candidates for the 2014 Prize North America
Mayor Shari Decter Hirst, Brandon, Canada
Mayor Naheed Nenshi, Calgary, Canada
Mayor Normand Grenier, Charlemagne, Québec, Canada
Mayor Colette Roy-Laroche, Lac-Mégantic, Canada
Mayor Jim Watson, Ottawa, Canada
Mayor Rob Ford, Toronto, Canada

http://www.worldmayor.com/contest_2014/long-list-2014.html

also from the same article:

**quote**Shots rang out one night in July 2010, next to a daycare at 340 Dixon Road, sending people scattering. Police believe one of the intended targets in that spree was Anthony Smith, a young man and alleged Dixon Blood who would be murdered in 2013 outside a nightclub and who appeared in a famous photo alongside Mayor Ford. **endquote**

certainly lends credibility to the claims that Smith's murder isn't linked to Ford if he was a marked man even back then.

I'm not sure that it makes that much difference, logically. I mean, all it really suggests is that Smith was involved with or in proximity to gang activity in 2010. It doesn't establish that his murder in 2013 was the last step in a plot hatched in 2010, or even that Rob Ford didn't have proximity to gang activity as far back as 2010.

Arrived in St. John's yesterday. Quoth the hotel bellman: "I like that Kathleen Wynne, I think she hates Stephen Harper almost as much as I do."

“I believe we need some business folks involved in the TTC. As far as I am concerned the TTC needs a complete enema.”
http://www.torontolife.com/informer/toronto-politics/2012/02/02/quoted-doug-ford-enema/

"People will wait in line for their Timbits for longer than it takes to vote."
https://twitter.com/TheGolem1/status/477820414245093378

Good memory casita! I thought that enema comment sounded familiar, but it's hard to keep track of the crass remarks from Doug. He seems to have a fixation with bowels. He certainly has a way with words, that's for sure.

Ford on the same candidate list as Nenshi an Watson. Good lord, are these people on crack. If I were either, I wouldn't want the "prize".

From the World Mayor site:

Code of Ethics for for local government

The City Mayors Foundation and the World Mayor Project were established in 2003 to promote, encourage and facilitate good local government. To strengthen local government further, a Code of Ethics for city leaders, who wish to perform their duties beyond all reproach, has been devised. All mayors wishing be considered for the World Mayor Prize are expected to sign up to the Code of Ethics.

Code of Ethics
Preamble
Good and honest local government is the foundation of any nation that strives to provide its citizens with happiness, security and prosperity. Incompetence, corruption and misconduct in local government threaten fundamental decency in a society.

Article 1
Mayors shall execute the office of mayor for the common good of their communities while refraining from actions that may harm other communities or the wider world. They shall take full responsibility for any acts performed by themselves or by members of their administrations.

Article 2
Mayors shall not discriminate against individuals or groups because of their politics, race, religion, gender, disability or sexual orientation.

Article 3
Mayors shall support and uphold the letter and intent of the laws of their cities and nations as well as relevant international laws. They shall demand the same degree of respect for the law from all members of their administrations.

Article 4
Mayors shall be free to oppose any laws of their cities and nations where such laws contravene the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Article 5
Mayors shall administer public resources for the public benefit of their communities while considering whether such use could cause unreasonable harm to other communities and the wider world.

Article 6
Mayors shall never use their official positions to secure unwarranted privileges or advantages for themselves, members of their families, friends, colleagues or others.

Article 7
Mayors shall not perform any official actions where a direct or indirect financial or personal involvement might reasonably be expected to prejudice their objectivity or independence of judgment. They shall demand the same degree of impartiality from all members of their administrations.

Article 8
Mayors shall accept no gifts or offers based upon an understanding, stated or implied, that they were given to influence them in the discharge of their public duties. They shall demand the same degree of honesty from all members of their administrations.

Article 9
Mayors shall be open to public scrutiny of their official actions and those of their staff, including their relationships, contractual and otherwise, with vendors, consultants, and business associates. Mayors shall report any improper actions they witness, such as bribes, kickbacks, and gift offers.

Article 10
Mayors shall work to strengthen civil society by raising public awareness of, and confidence in, their city government’s activities.

Article 11
Mayors shall use their influence to promote co-operation and good will between cities, nationally and internationally.

http://www.worldmayor.com/contest_2014/code-of-ethics.html

Interesting - I am trying to see how he fits into each of the article, and I am having trouble doing it for every single one of them.

AoD

Last edited:
From the World Mayor site:

Interesting - I am trying to see how he fits into each of the article, and I am having trouble doing it for every single one of them.

AoD

Tweet @world_mayor to show your disgust. Ford is the absolute antithesis of what this award is supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back