News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
"prt sc" (print screen) on my hp pavilion laptop is super-imposed on the "pause" button@top right of keyboard. does that help u find it?

Since I don't have fotoshop I suppose I can't capture these shots?

OMG urban, I found it! LOL...it is to the left of my pause/break button and has sysrq under it...geez, I don't think I have ever used those buttons before! Go figure!

I found this funny link about this key...I wonder if it is true that it is a totally non-functioning key? LOL

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/SysRq

Even after the tweaking this tower's still a bore - though there's something kinda 20 Prince Arthur about them thar fins.

The dark green-cast renderwindows give it a spooky look. Maybe we need a haunted tower.

Why exactly was the 'swoosh' of the two sides of 1BE eliminated? I got the impression that it was the City that required the tilt be eliminated, or at least it was after the City review that the sides were straightened.

Bill

Anyone go visit the sales center this weekend for an update? If it weren't for the snowstorm I would have gone and checked it out. Are we all sold out? Prices?

i likes them fins!
anything to keep the boxy element less evident.
and only in toronto would people call an 80 storey building boring.
its height alone is a cause for celebration.
so let's all get loaded!

So thats all architecture is to you, height? Come on.

While I absolutely LOVE the height of 1BE, I still think doesn't anchor the corner in the way that it claims to. Its a nice expression of neo-modernism but it still leaves way too much to be desired. The buildings minimalists such as Mies envisioned were simple but as one continued to look, would unfold themselves and provoke the viewer into further examination. To me, 1BE is just a supersized version of the buildings Toronto already has and are continuing to construct all over the city.

Whether you attach yourself to 'less is more' or 'less is a bore,' you still have to admit, at 1BE its just 'less.'

and only in toronto would people call an 80 storey building boring.

Lotsa not exactly unenlightened people in New York City called a certain pair of 110 storey buildings boring, at least as long as said buildings existed...

If you're talking of the old world trade, they were some of the most boring buildings, and worst for their height. Simply brutal looking imho. Growing up there and seeing those buildings, I know many people who felt they were scars on the horizon of an very interesting city otherwise. Boring, boring, boring. Sorry for the rant, but if you grew up there might have viewed their imposition on the skyline differently. Im not a huge fan of the new buildings being built in their place, but they are still an improvement over a couple of bricks stood up on their sides. A lot of the city hated those buildings, fyi. YUCK!

WTC? I'm sorry, but those were two of the most graceful, elegant buildings ever constructed. Each time I reminisce through photographs, I can't help but be moved by their stark yet entrancing forms. Yamasaki actually chopped away much of the ornamentation he had originally planned for the base and crown but I believe it was for the better.

mckarisma: You are correct in asserting that some New Yorkers didn't like those buildings but you cleverly left out that the majority did. When they were envisioned and constructed in the 1960s (tower two topped off and completed in 1972) there were both parties for (Mayor, Downtown Lower Businessman's Association, etc.) and against (Jacobs and her camp, NIMBYs, etc.) the project. Both had valid reasons for liking or disliking the complex but in the end it was built.

In the 1970s your characterization of "hatred" towards the towers and much of what they stood for is apt. However, one must remember that the United States were going through a large recession and an oil crisis at that time and seeing as the towers stood for 'big business' and 'unrestrained capitalism' are their views not justified?

However by the 1980s and certainly into the 1990s (I wont even mention post 9/11) New Yorkers began to feel a real attachment to the buildings. "I like how you can see it from everywhere in the city" and "they help orient me" are two examples (one aesthetic, one functional) of New Yorkers' comments regarding them.

So were these "boring, tall, etc" buildings really "hated"? I very much disagree.

Also there were very few if any bricks used in their construction!

Though Offshore Flipper will - if things go as planned - be drawn to this one like a moth to a flame, no? Am I wrong in assuming that this building, along with Trump, is designed primarily for that market? The owners can take turns flipping units to one-another in our terribly undervalued Toronto real estate market?

Perhaps the reality is, the "majority" was more or less indifferent. And I'd predict the same for 1 Bloor, for that matter...

Good point. We UrbanTorontoites focus and debate the micro so much, we often forget the macro. Adma is right in that the reality about architecture is that few people even notice, let alone attempt to form an opinion about the built environment around them. Too bad...

Lotsa not exactly unenlightened people in New York City called a certain pair of 110 storey buildings boring, at least as long as said buildings existed...

i think a lot of people hated them when they were built and for good reason.
but boring? boring design...yeah. but the mass and height of them! not boring.
i also think they grew on most new yorkers.
to the point where they were considered legit symbols of the city...like ESb and so on.

i think a lot of people hated them when they were built and for good reason.
but boring? boring design...yeah. but the mass and height of them! not boring.
i also think they grew on most new yorkers.
to the point where they were considered legit symbols of the city...like ESb and so on.

They were big. I remember as a kid, the whole highlight of a trip to Manhatten was seeing these babies in person..... They were built on an unreal scale.

New Yorkers hated Nelson and David (aka, the boxes the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings came in) until they were knocked down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back