News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
So thats all architecture is to you, height? Come on.

While I absolutely LOVE the height of 1BE, I still think doesn't anchor the corner in the way that it claims to. Its a nice expression of neo-modernism but it still leaves way too much to be desired. The buildings minimalists such as Mies envisioned were simple but as one continued to look, would unfold themselves and provoke the viewer into further examination. To me, 1BE is just a supersized version of the buildings Toronto already has and are continuing to construct all over the city.

Whether you attach yourself to 'less is more' or 'less is a bore,' you still have to admit, at 1BE its just 'less.'

I totally agree with you Project End. The tower does not adress the street like Aura will and its a shame for this corner is THE corner in Canada.

See a copy of my quote below from another foum. I too am concerned that all that matters anymore is height and not architecture.

couture.jpg

Wow, yet another straight, rectangular undistinguished residential building in Toronto – a landmark in the making to be sure – gag! You know, If you took 20 floors off this building you'd have just another apartment building....like the last 4 or 5 hundred apartment buildings before it. But because its 44 floors we go "ooohh, ahhhh". I’m sure the architect of this little masterpiece must be very proud.

I think “architect†in Canadian means one “who designs buildings that will keep the rain off its occupantsâ€.

I didn't dislike the WTC towers, but I did hear that the windows were designed so that it was hard to enjoy the view because the architect was afraid of heights.

Thanks for the additional example Big Daddy and welcome to the forum...Good commentary about Couture.

I'll let your use of Aura as an example slide since the podium and street-level aspects of the project are excellent but the tower, as you may well know, still does not have my full endorsement. ;)

1 Bloor East is a bold statement. I can't see how anyone on this forum can call it boring. What condo built in the last 20 years in this city even comes close to making this kind of impact?

1 Bloor East is setting the mark for others to match and surpass.

The building seems boring because it is yet again another variation on the elegant and minimalist boxy tower with podium, and without the interesting contrast of heritage surroundings to challenge it this aesthetic feels like a letdown here...completely acceptable, but a letdown nonetheless. And although the height is fantastic it's difficult for some of us to get excited about floor counts alone. This site begs for a bold statement. Instead, we are given the safe, tried and true. A big 'meh' for me.

1 Bloor East is a bold statement. I can't see how anyone on this forum can call it boring. What condo built in the last 20 years in this city even comes close to making this kind of impact?

1 Bloor East is setting the mark for others to match and surpass.

I'd argue that Minto Midtown enriches the neighborhood in a far more desirable way...10 Belair is an amazing addition to the Yorkville neighborhood...ROCP has transformed the area and is anchoring the exciting new south Yonge Street corridor...NY Towers has made a positive impact to the Willowdale neighborhood...virtually all the Freed projects are contributing to the gentrification of this area...18 Yorkville is another amazing gateway project...The Hazelton adds design and style to a landscape of faux-historic yet tacky low rise...Context has had an enormously positive impact with all their projects...

I'd argue that Minto Midtown enriches the neighborhood in a far more desirable way...10 Belair is an amazing addition to the Yorkville neighborhood...ROCP has transformed the area and is anchoring the exciting new south Yonge Street corridor...NY Towers has made a positive impact to the Willowdale neighborhood...virtually all the Freed projects are contributing to the gentrification of this area...18 Yorkville is another amazing gateway project...The Hazelton adds design and style to a landscape of faux-historic yet tacky low rise...Context has had an enormously positive impact with all their projects...

Except for the North York Condos, all of the above are great projects with positive impacts on their respective neighbourhoods. But at 80 floors nothing else comes close to the "look at me" factor of Bloor East. -

10 Bellair down the street is so amazing that it just melts into the Bloor West streetwall and almost becomes invisible with the exception of it's retail component which is also amazing. I must admit. But its hardly the building an outsider coming into Toronto will remember in the way that 1 Bloor East will stand out in their minds, when they leave the city.

10 Bellair down the street is so amazing that it just melts into the Bloor West streetwall and almost becomes invisible with the exception of it's retail component which is also amazing.

That's the point and that's exactly what the planning dept is looking for- integration into the community, not 'look at me, I'm a big, tall, glass building with tacky finishes and a wide podium'.

I negectled to mention 1 St. Thomas. Honestly, how can you begin to compare that Stern masterpiece with this mid-market box?

Given our winter season, why would they introduce the Lanai concept? And it seems they are including the sf of the balconies and Lanais thus making the units seem bigger than they really are.

I think the "Uptown" is an example of elegant architecture that blends well with the existing environment and yet adds the excitement of a taller structure (48 floors). It’s very well done and will be a beautiful building long after many of the other boxy stereotypes are no longer trendy or attractive.

Demolition is something entirely separate (no permit has been applied for as far as I can see) but excavation would not be included in my estimation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back