News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Has anyone else personally met a council candidate when they were canvassing? Our incumbent was in the building and left a flyer under our door with a personal message. The last person who showed up in our building was the current MP for the area back in 2011.

I'm in ward 20, and given the number of candidates we have I would have expected to meet more of them. So far only one of them (Stella Kargiannakis) has knocked on my door to talk. I won't be voting for her, but I remember her name, and considering how important name recognition is I'd think they'd want to make more effort to meet people. Most of the time I've just found fliers tacked to my door (which usually go straight into the bin), and I know I was home when they did it because I find them when I leave for work in the morning, and they weren't there when got home the previous night. Even if it's not the candidate themselves, having some canvasers knock on the door and drop the candidate's name a few times in conversation would probably go a long way.

We got a whole whack of them banging on our doors. I ignored them all.

I went to the advanced poll in Ward 20 on Sunday. I didn't want to deal with the annoying hell of one polling location (Metro Hall) on election night. Anyways, I was a bit surprised to have been approached by Sarah Thomson who was staked out on Spadina just south of Cecil St where the voting location was. She gave me a leaflet and the usual "Blah, blah, blah" while I walked past her. While I'm sure she was entirely legal in being X metres away from the voting location, it kinda smacked of being lame. Really? Staking out the voting location? Sigh.

flyer.jpg

I took a picture of it. My grandma also lives in the building and he spoke to her.

Attachments

• flyer.jpg
    flyer.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 506
Has anyone else personally met a council candidate when they were canvassing? Our incumbent was in the building and left a flyer under our door with a personal message. The last person who showed up in our building was the current MP for the area back in 2011.

I had a doorside chat with Joe Cressy. A few years ago, when she was running for MPP, I talked with Sarah Thomson. n

I'm in Ward 18 and Alex Mazer was the only candidate to personally come to my door (while I was home anyway).

Mohammed Uddin did leave us a flyer, which I found funny. There was a point on it that said he was very against drunk driving. We all know who know that was aimed at. Bailao's team left us a flyer as well, but I never saw anyone else campaigning. On two other occasions I saw Mazer's team including Mazer, going door to door so he seems to be pushing hard.

I suspect it'll be a tight race between Bailao and Mazer and based on lawn signs, Bailao seems to have support all over this ward.

Mazer for the win! I only got to speak with one of his lackeys though. We talked for what I think would have been too long (~15 minutes). We ended by disagreeing on the island airport. *shrug*

I've seen Megan McIver, Benjamin Dichter, and KWT canvassing around ward 27.

Sarah Thomson is now spending most of her time attacking Terri Chu. She falsely accused Terri Chu of fabricating an endorsement from Adam Vaughan (which she didn't do, she just mentioned a quote from Adam Vaughan praising her community work) and is pretending to be "the Liberal candidate" (her signs say For A Liberal Toronto and her literature features photos of her with Vaughan, Kathleen Wynne and Justin Trudeau.

Remember the Olympic hockey? Council voted to extend alcohol service hours in most parts of the city. EXCEPT:

The extended hours apply to bars and restaurants but not nightclubs, and don’t include establishments in Ward 9, York Centre; Ward 24, Willowdale; and Ward 11, York South-Weston.

See link.

Ward 9 - Augimeri, Maria
Ward 11 - Nunziata, Frances
Ward 24 - Shiner, David

Any bets on which ward will get the James Pasternak award for lowest winning %? (I'm guessing Ward 16 to replace Karen Stintz.)

Sarah Thomson is now spending most of her time attacking Terri Chu. She falsely accused Terri Chu of fabricating an endorsement from Adam Vaughan (which she didn't do, she just mentioned a quote from Adam Vaughan praising her community work) and is pretending to be "the Liberal candidate" (her signs say For A Liberal Toronto and her literature features photos of her with Vaughan, Kathleen Wynne and Justin Trudeau.

Hilarious, because Terri Chu is the closest thing to an actual Liberal candidate running in Ward 20.

She is a complete and utter time-waster and distraction in every political race she wades into. The 'Liberal candidate' thing is ... disingenuous, to say the least (she's also forgetting that a fair number of Toronto voters actually dislike the Liberals at one or both levels) and I've heard her people have been putting signs where they haven't been requested. If they did that to me I'd make a point of going over to Rosedale and throwing it into her front yard.

It's a pretty crowded field in Trinity-Spadina. I'm worried that someone like Thompson might have a good shot at winning in such a multi-split race.

I'm in Ward 30. Jane Farrow has come to the door a couple of times. No sign of Paula Fletcher or Liz West. I did get a robocall from Liz West just now, though, saying she supports John Tory and SmartTrack. I found it odd, to be honest. In 2010, she adopted Rob Ford's "stop the gravy train" slogan towards the end of the campaign. Now it's all about the greatness of John Tory/SmartTrack. Does Liz West have a habit of jumping on the frontrunner's bandwagon, or am I being mean?

Back